Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No hand out, good governance case 1

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...-thomas-oh-yea

Government need to create the climate for business to succeed.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

LOL!!

A nice example for those who believe in waiting for Government-led investment

Government is only a part of the equation in development economics responsible for the "business climate". This is what you don't realize and which I've been trying to make you aware of.

The other components are ....the general population...and the business class

In Jamaica's case...ALL those sectors are relatively BACKWARD in their thinking and actions... and do not work together for reasons related to politics and class prejudices.

So if you believe that "Government" is solely at fault for all deficits in the "business climate".... you would be 100% WRONG

Ignorance & stupidity are not limited to Government actors....they permeate throughout the society...and into the diaspora as well
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Every investment have to do with government action and reaction and if they can't do their part then people will lose their life saving and make it harder for investors and people will choose to put their money elsewhere.

The farms was a good idea but other than that it was a disaster for the poor investors who put their hard earn cash and loan. I hope now a them nuh lose their homes.

A so the thing set and no yapping will not change that.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Every investment have to do with government action and reaction and if they can't do their part then people will lose their life saving and make it harder for investors and people will choose to put their money elsewhere.
        Yuteman people invest in Jamaica every day. It's clear you're not up to speed on what's occurring in high growth sectors like telecoms, software or BPO. Perhaps you're not comfortable with those sectors though... nutten funny inna dat

Our international creditors have already declared on what they think of the "investment climate" I would summarize it like this:

While there has been recent progress there's still some way to go with reforms they would like to see. Jamaica's prospects are promising & improving...and the GOJ reform path should be supported as the macro-economic indicators and business climate are moving in the right direction. GOJ needs to intensify its reforms and simultaneously start moving from economic stabilization policies to growth oriented outcomes

I like to understand what our Babylon masters think. Internet Yappers??... Not so much

The farms was a good idea but other than that it was a disaster for the poor investors who put their hard earn cash and loan. I hope now a them nuh lose their homes.
        The jury is still out on the GOJ Agro Parks... Some appear to be working and recording significant increases in domestic crop production. Others have issues

Government GENERALLY should not be running these things and should be looking to divest...Govt does not have the required competencies nor do the small farmers who do the work.

Unfortunately the private sector is too backward-looking to take this up in a big way....except for a few like Grace, Diageo or Broilers which have started their own farm ops for import substitution

A so the thing set and no yapping will not change that.
        I agree. Empty yappin achieves nothing.

That's why I bun out the INTERMINABLE YAPPERS...and try to get unnu to get off unnu backward haunches and... ACT

Whether it be in education or whatever else... Even giving out balls on the roadside to yutes to see their eyes sparkle... as a notable forumite likes to do
        Last edited by Don1; June 6, 2015, 10:07 AM.

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

What is Jamaica growth rate over the last 20 years. What is the growth rate over the last 10. What is it over the last 1.

Goes to show how many of those failed and where Jamaica is at today. When is it Jamaica is not predicting 2 percent growth???

Wake up. It start with governance and giving people confidence to invest.

It start from small businesses. Look at the lost at small and Jamaican businesses over the last 20 years. It tells a lot.

Wake up and smell the coffee. Time for change. Time for good governance. Give small Jamaican business a chance and it will create an environment for growth and MORE investment that we badly need. Other than that it is just plain YAPPING, and name calling.

Comment

You speak of yappin?? LOL!! How ironic

It is first class yappers like you that I expose...continually Your type is part of the problem. Others focus on solutions....and don't wait for some government to do whatever.

What Jamaica needs is DOERS & MAKERS... not YAPPERS ..

I'm already working on converting yutes into makers....but adults need to know that as they yap...they should also DO

Suh if yuh waan kall dat name-calling... mi nuh bizniz

Time too serious fi mi tek it easy pon people who are part of the problem.. unnu fi get exposed...strait
            Last edited by Don1; June 6, 2015, 11:08 AM.

Comment

nobody is competing with you are trying to tell you what to do.
              We are just talking economy and public policy, which is our entitlement.

Put up your millions and enjoy your returns. Some of us just have to be cautious about our possible investment with our two pence. This is not even about us, it is bigger than that.

Comment

I have to agree though I am in the trenches a bit and no matter what they say there are still many many many impediments that hinder business development ... There is still unnecessary bureaucracy which continues to lead to corruption ....

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I'm not concerned with competition or posing....just hypocritical do-nothing YAPPERS. Like those who complain "foreigners are taking over Jamaica" AND SIMULTANEOUSLY claim "the investment climate is no good"
                  That type of ignorant hypocrisy is a pet peeve of mine

No worries...gwaan yap

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                    I have to agree though I am in the trenches a bit and no matter what they say there are still many many many impediments that hinder business development ... There is still unnecessary bureaucracy which continues to lead to corruption ....
                    Agree 1000%.... Not to mention really horrible customer service EVERYWHERE....private sector and government.

Lots to fix...but there is a realization that we have to address bottlenecks and civil society is empowered since the social contract was agreed

But some when dem guh farrin look like dem tun farriner an too good fi deal wid certain "Turd Whirl" tings... except yappin of course.

Wi ah di greatest wid dat

Comment

The fact is public policy or the lack of determine people's behavior. From the Parish council to the OPM that sets policy have the brunt of the work to do, it is not about yapping or blaming others but creating an environment for business to florish.

Jamaica can't enjoy a consistent level of growth until barriers are removed and there is a level of consistency and predictability.That incldes taxes and devaluation. Like it or not call it yapping it is the fact.

Comment

Jamaica won't enjoy prosperity until its people abandon Babylon fcukery, ignorance and corruption...plus LESS YAPPIN and more INNOVATION & MAKING PRODUCTS

It is not only politicians who engage in fcukery & yappin...It's business people, church leaders and society types....the regular folks just follow leaders by engaging in similar fcukery. That's how its been from slavery til now

As usual your government-centric arguments are too superficial & inadequate to describe reality

Comment

who are these business people? People who save their life saving, People who take loan on their houses, People who find ways to get others to invest, the teachers union fund, civil servant pension fund etc.

The more progressive polices government make the easier it will be for these people to take more risk and invest. These are the people who start small businesses and work sweat and brow to make it happen. Without saving, without good progressive policies that give them a better chance, without devaluation, without inflation, security, and no government incentives they will likely invest less. That is only logic, no idle talk.

These are factors government all control. Most foreign investors will also look at these and our recent history before committing, so you can gwaan talk what you want.

Comment

Most Jamaican business people are not much different from the general population..

Un-progressive, not innovative...concentrating mostly on trading and margin gathering. Mostly about seeking the best way to make a quick buck by hook or crook...and also looking for handouts (i.e. govt incentives)

Then when they accumulate a few dollars...it's about conspicuous consumption and posing with cars, big houses and lots of imported trinkets

Not to mention they expect government to solve all their problems....while they duck taxes, bribe public officials to get a bly & tief electricity

That's Jamaican "competition" for ya...The real business climate

Comment

That is why government have to change the climate. People live on gully bank because government nuh stop them. Those business man are not different from others anywhere and that is why the basic standard have to set to influence the thinking.

Selah you just made my case.

Comment

Working...
                              X