• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Yes, Mosiah - Some of the developments: Discovering Jamaica

Discovering Jamaica
    published: Friday | June 15, 2007

Heather Robinson
    Have you ever been asked by a tourist if you have ever been rafting on the Rio Grande or visited Good Intent in North East Manchester? Have you had to literally lie because you were overcome with embarrassment, because here it is a foreigner knowing places right here in Jamaica that you do not know? Have you been promising yourself that at least once per month you will visit some place that you have never been to before?

One of the benefits of participating in political work is that it allows us to know places in Jamaica that we did not know before. In 1990, during the by-election in North East St. Elizabeth, I remember telling the then chairman of the People's National Party, P.J. Patterson, that I had been to a district that had some very, very narrow roads overlooking precipices that appeared to have no bottom. Before I could continue my description of the place he stopped me and told me the name of the district: Roses Valley.

I have never forgotten the name or the place and how my passenger kept encouraging me thus: "Scrape up the jeep" he pleaded as he literally clung to the protruding rocks on his side.

Since the start of this year, my job and political work have taken me to every parish in Jamaica. Driving alone, one gets the opportunity to simply enjoy the beauty of our country, and in some places it is like a whole new experience, and as some Jamaicans would say "is like foreign".

Discover Jamaica Journey
    My discover Jamaica journey begins on Mount Rosser, which has had major improvement work done there in the last four months. Some of the worst corners have been realigned to improve manoeuvrability, retaining walls have been built to assist in widening the road, and indeed Mount Rosser has been given a facelift.

The journey from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay is an experience worth having. There are speed limits that force you to see all the development that is taking place. There is the 850-room Riu 3 hotel, in Mamee Bay, and further down in Pear Tree Bottom, there is the Gran Baha Principé which has 734 rooms. These hotels have changed the economy of St. Ann, and it was a pleasure to watch the workers going first to build the hotels, and now to work in these hotels.

Never the Same
    Liliput in St. James will never be the same again. In the first instance the road is new and elevated and across from that community is the very fancy looking Iberostar which when completed will have 980 rooms. The construction there reminds me of how the Portmore toll road was built. Each time you pass it, looks different and more beautiful.

Further down the road, there is Palmyra which when completed will have 300 beachfront condos. Clearly, anyone who looks at the buildings there must have the desire to stay there is a guest, and more will want to work there.

As a child, my father would take us for a 'drive out' from Negril into Hanover. Imagine the same drive now as an adult. The Fiesta Point Hotel which occupies many acres, will, when completed have 1,800 rooms in this five-star resort. No more is there acres of unproductive bush, instead productive hands and bodies have been put to work.

There is so much productive development taking place in Jamaica. While driving, we should take time to pause and observe these developments. And if we have time, stop and speak to the workers who have become productive members of their families.
    Jamaica is such a beautiful place, please pause and enjoy it. Heather Robinson is a life underwriter and former Member of Parliament.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Originally posted by Karl View Post
    Discovering Jamaica
    published: Friday | June 15, 2007

Heather Robinson
    Have you ever been asked by a tourist if you have ever been rafting on the Rio Grande or visited Good Intent in North East Manchester? Have you had to literally lie because you were overcome with embarrassment, because here it is a foreigner knowing places right here in Jamaica that you do not know? Have you been promising yourself that at least once per month you will visit some place that you have never been to before?

One of the benefits of participating in political work is that it allows us to know places in Jamaica that we did not know before. In 1990, during the by-election in North East St. Elizabeth, I remember telling the then chairman of the People's National Party, P.J. Patterson, that I had been to a district that had some very, very narrow roads overlooking precipices that appeared to have no bottom. Before I could continue my description of the place he stopped me and told me the name of the district: Roses Valley.

I have never forgotten the name or the place and how my passenger kept encouraging me thus: "Scrape up the jeep" he pleaded as he literally clung to the protruding rocks on his side.

Since the start of this year, my job and political work have taken me to every parish in Jamaica. Driving alone, one gets the opportunity to simply enjoy the beauty of our country, and in some places it is like a whole new experience, and as some Jamaicans would say "is like foreign".

Discover Jamaica Journey
    My discover Jamaica journey begins on Mount Rosser, which has had major improvement work done there in the last four months. Some of the worst corners have been realigned to improve manoeuvrability, retaining walls have been built to assist in widening the road, and indeed Mount Rosser has been given a facelift.

The journey from Ocho Rios to Montego Bay is an experience worth having. There are speed limits that force you to see all the development that is taking place. There is the 850-room Riu 3 hotel, in Mamee Bay, and further down in Pear Tree Bottom, there is the Gran Baha Principé which has 734 rooms. These hotels have changed the economy of St. Ann, and it was a pleasure to watch the workers going first to build the hotels, and now to work in these hotels.

Never the Same
    Liliput in St. James will never be the same again. In the first instance the road is new and elevated and across from that community is the very fancy looking Iberostar which when completed will have 980 rooms. The construction there reminds me of how the Portmore toll road was built. Each time you pass it, looks different and more beautiful.

Further down the road, there is Palmyra which when completed will have 300 beachfront condos. Clearly, anyone who looks at the buildings there must have the desire to stay there is a guest, and more will want to work there.

As a child, my father would take us for a 'drive out' from Negril into Hanover. Imagine the same drive now as an adult. The Fiesta Point Hotel which occupies many acres, will, when completed have 1,800 rooms in this five-star resort. No more is there acres of unproductive bush, instead productive hands and bodies have been put to work.

There is so much productive development taking place in Jamaica. While driving, we should take time to pause and observe these developments. And if we have time, stop and speak to the workers who have become productive members of their families.
    Jamaica is such a beautiful place, please pause and enjoy it. Heather Robinson is a life underwriter and former Member of Parliament.
    Another one that vote PNP and conscience biting dem...

Spare us.. please.

Comment

Working...
    X