RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Your Favorite Jamaican Radio Music Personality?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Your Favorite Jamaican Radio Music Personality?

Reading the thread below about “Jamaica’s Eclectic Taste in Non-Reggae Music,” I started to remember the RJR and JBC disc spinners/radio personalities of the past. I didn’t want to intrude in that thread with this topic, so….

A few of the most popular radio disc jockeys/radio personalities are listed here alphabetically.

Charlie (CB) Babcock
    Winston Barnes
    Jeff Dixon
    Marie Garth
    Barry (Barry G) Gordon
    Dermott Hussey
    Errol Lee
    Alan Magnus
    Don Toppin
    Tony Verity
    Winston Williams

...to add, Neville Willoby, Errol Thompson. ..
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

How can you forget the great Errol Thompson
      If you include DJ
      Mikey Campbell
      Wayne Chin
      Ralph Mckenzie
      Francois St.Jude
      to name a few.

Respect to Winston Williams
      Barry G
      Marie Garth
      Fae Ellington
      to add a few
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I was surprised that Historian left out ET
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I'm not.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
            Reading the thread below about “Jamaica’s Eclectic Taste in Non-Reggae Music,” I started to remember the RJR and JBC disc spinners/radio personalities of the past. I didn’t want to intrude in that thread with this topic, so….

A few of the most popular radio disc jockeys/radio personalities are listed here alphabetically.

Charlie (CB) Babcock
            Winston Barnes
            Jeff Dixon
            Marie Garth
            Barry (Barry G) Gordon
            Dermott Hussey
            Errol Lee
            Alan Magnus
            Don Toppin
            Tony Verity
            Winston Williams

Anyway, I will respond to Historian's post now.

Barry G and Winston Williams were my favourites, in that order. Barry G used to play a Bob at 3:30 every afternoon!

However, I appreciated Dermot Hussey knowledge. Respect to Alan Magnus for being around for so long, but I find him very corny.

Don Toppin and Marie Garth made you think yuh had yuh US Visa arready. You had Merkah right there in your living room with their accents, which I actually hated. Yes, Winston Williams did have a yankee accident too but him witty and sharp bad! And when him throw een di Spanish...mad ting!

Charlie Bab...a ooo im!? Tony Verity and dem people deh...nuh wi parents use to listen to dem people deh?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What of Jeff Dixon, I got to know him as Free-I?
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well, which name did he use on the radio?! That's the one to go with. I mean, who cares what Ms. Kitty's real name is?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

ET was one of my favorites. Mikey Dread, Ites Green and Gold! Jamdung roll when ah dread at the control!

Durmott Hussey actually schooled me in good music. His programs introduced me to many musicians and groups in the early to mid eighties, which under normal conditions of listening to Jamaican radio, I would never have heard. I can recall him covering Manhattan Transfer, Michael Franks, The Rippingtons, Ladysmith Black Mombazo, etc, etc. Between Dermott and one of my brethren (a Calabar man) we called Squalo, they really kept me abreast with some good music during that era. Squalo would sometimes give me a shout to say "yuh lissed to Dermott lass nite? 'im play some wikid Al Jarreau, Boz Skaggs , Herbie Hancock, Heat Wave (etc)". So while most of my friends were listening to strictly roots music, I was having a chance to broaden my musical horizon.

It was a time of musical awakening for me as I started listeing to more than Reggae or 'the lovi dovi softies' Barry G would play.

I remember Neville Wiloughby(sp), Don Topping and Marie Garth for the easy listening stuff.
                  "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I believe he used Jeff Dixon in his first stint on radio, then came back as Free-I in the 80s. I only knew him as Free-I but I remember when he was killed some people saying they didn't know it was the same person.
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Yes he was Jeff Dixon. He left and lived in NY where he became the manager for a group name SLAVE which you may have heard of. LOL!!!

He returned to Jamaica as a Free I. He was killed along with Peter Tosh as they were working on an album.

He came back as FreeI and hot up the radio for a brief while before his death.

Comment

Slave, as in "Just a Touch " and "Watching You"?
                        "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

How could you leave off Henry Stenneth? He had a calming voice that suited after work drive home. The 80's was my time period and I loved Francois St. Juste and his ripoff from Good Morning Vietnam......Gooooooooodddddd Morning Jamaica!!! I also like the blind DJ that they had. He came on on Saturday mornings and then the Jamerican who did the Sunday morning show.
                          Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Yep.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...ife/life4.html

Comment

tank yuh!!! "the Child of Love"! I thank him for introducing me to Khalil Gibran.

He is forever lined by me to 2 isley songs. "Caravan of Love" and "Voyage to Atlantis"!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fh6lGI1bOkw

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Working...
                              X