A Jewish connection in Jersey and Brooklyn

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Jewish connection in Jersey and Brooklyn

And so it was terrifying to stand over her hospital bed in Newark, as I did the fall before last, and see my childhood savior supported through an IV feeding tube. Hard to call her name and have her not hear through some deep sleep, unable to voice any response. But that voice, the Jamaican voice that is my most prized asset when I greet the world, carries on her memory within me. It is the voice that sang Kaddish for Dezna when she died, and the one that maintains the fluidity, the Jewish-Jamaican encoding with which I so proudly make my pronunciations.

http://tabletmag.com/jewish-life-and...jXoPHGwCotd.01
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Good catch, I just read that.

Comment

It is a touching story but I couldn't help but wonder about Dezna's children who were in Montego Bay. I hope they were able to experience some of her love and nurturing in their youth as well, but I know the realities of life may have restricted this.

The writer was very fortunate and it is good to know that he appreciated her contributions to his life.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
      X