Grand jury rules in Freddie Gray case

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Grand jury rules in Freddie Gray case

How grand jury charges against officers in Freddie Gray case compare to the original charges

Baltimore grand jury returned indictments against six Baltimore officers charged earlier this month in the April death of Freddie Gray, the city state's attorney's office announced Thursday.

Gray died a week after suffering a spinal cord injury while in police custody.

The following are the charges brought by the grand jury. In some cases, they are different compared to the charges originally sought by the office of State's Attorney Marilyn J. Mosby, as noted. Also show are the maximum sentences the charges carry.

http://www.baltimoresun.com/news/mar...522-story.html

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Could some legal mind explain to me this grand jury thing?

When does a case go to a grand jury? Do all cases go to a grand jury? What is normal - prosecutors charge the suspects first, or do they normally send the case to a grand jury first? Does one preclude the other?

Thanks!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I am no lawyer and every state is different.
      Some use either and some use both.
      Her prosecution was validated by the grand jury
      indictment.
      Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Could some legal mind explain to me this grand jury thing?

When does a case go to a grand jury? Do all cases go to a grand jury? What is normal - prosecutors charge the suspects first, or do they normally send the case to a grand jury first? Does one preclude the other?

Thanks!
        I can tell you the little that I know.
        Grand jury is usually the prosecutor and the grand jury examining the evidence to see if it warrants a trail

Don't have to have a grand jury, can have a preliminary hearing instead. Where the prosecutor and the defendant's lawyer present evidence before a judge to determine probable cause and if the case should go to trial.

Comment

Yup,I alwats wondered why the staunch opposition to her prosecuting the case if they really believe she would bundled it?
          Other than for appeal purposes(in that event she didn't mess it up),I am still loojing for the reason.
          Was the knife illegal or not,and who is better to decide that?

Comment

Thanks, sah! I mean, thanks, Za!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

A lot of the concern is due to the perception of a political motive, since Apparently her husband represents the area politically.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
              X