Willingness:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Willingness:

So yesterday, a young man came into our Store asking for a job. He was dressed in a 'wife-beater' and a cargo shorts. (Typical young Black boy/man summer attire).

I said to him...I am sorry but you could not work for us dressed like that. You would have to be dressed in shirt and long pants (and maybe a tie) before I would even give you an application. He walked out, quite taken aback by my kind but firm admonition.

We had forgotten about him when he returned about 2 hours later. This time dressed in a long pants and silghtly crushed yellow polo shirt. I smiled at him and shook my head. I gave him a job application. I explained that our job requires 100% accuracy so there should be not spelling mistakes when he complete the application.

We open at 8:30AM. This morning, the young man was waiting at our door. This time dressed in a nice pants and a buttoned shirt-- handing in his application.

He does not have the hard skills that we are looking for; but i may call him in for an interview to reward his efforts. We are expanding--so maybe i may find some form of temporary employment for him.
    Last edited by HL; May 20, 2015, 02:44 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

that one is willing to learn, if someone is willing to teach.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

You should give him a shot. Quite probably the skills he is lacking can be taught. Based on what you say he has ambition and also listens. That alone should be rewarded. Instead of going away sulking he made an adjustment. Whether we like to admit it or not we have all been in that position. Your call still.

Comment

Give him a chance. He is willing to listen and work. The skills will come if he is that willing.

Working at the Community College in NY gave me the opportunity to work with some of these youths in most cases it works out if they are that willing.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I am positive that it would not take much to reinforce his soft-skills like punctuality, having a positive attitude, able to accept constructive criticism, good communication skills etc etc....

There is an entry level of hard-skills that we need.

We are also a print establishment so graphic design skills are need. We also do everything that the post office does... and much more. (If you see his application you would understand).

But he has left an impression on me so i will see what I can do to help.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

I explained that our job requires 100% accuracy so there should be not spelling mistakes when he complete the application.
            Irony is a Boitch aint it
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

yuh is a wicked ****!!! cho!

do you remember the golden rule? ...

the one with the gold, rules!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                yuh is a wicked ****!!! cho!

do you remember the golden rule? ...

the one with the gold, rules!
                LOL! Ok papa

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Could be one that assists in driving your business?
                  ...and in many ways? ...how large is his 'circle of influence'...and his attitude told by your tale tells appreciation and willingness could translate into 'boasting' = speaking with pride and gratitude about his boss but more importantly speak about, noising abroad his boss' great business?

Into games/sports...church socials...parties...popular...wide-eyed curiosity...community service, etc., etc?
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

whoa there trigger .... does he even go to church?! easy now...

Comment

A one man advertising agency HL, for free!, well for an hourly rate, but still... Karl just showed you how to cut your advertising bill and get a hard-working employee at the same time ...win-win!!
                      Peter R

Comment

What? Is there a spelling mistake there?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Stop fight di man! A bet if it was a white youth all now wi wouldn't even hear bout it. Yuh woulda hire him long time!

Das why mi cyaan vex when people riot and bun du...rahtid, is that the ice cream truck suh late in di evelin?!?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
                            Could be one that assists in driving your business?
                            ...and in many ways? ...how large is his 'circle of influence'...
                            Yuh mean other youths wearing wife beaters and pants down by their knees?!? Dem have anyting shipping but drugs?!?!

Heh heh!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                              What? Is there a spelling mistake there?!?
                              Nope...the spelling is 100% accurate

Kiddoes!!!

Comment

Working...
                              X