Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robots may threaten Asian 21st Century dominance

Will Robots Kill the Asian Century?

The rise of technologies such as 3-D printing and advanced robotics means that the next few decades for Asia’s economies will not be as easy or promising as the previous five.

John Lee
    April 23, 2015

OWEN HARRIES, the first editor, together with Robert Tucker, of The National Interest, once reminded me that experts—economists, strategists, business leaders and academics alike—tend to be relentless followers of intellectual fashion, and the learned, as Harold Rosenberg famously put it, a “herd of independent minds.” Nowhere is this observation more apparent than in the prediction that we are already into the second decade of what will inevitably be an “Asian Century”—a widely held but rarely examined view that Asia’s continued economic rise will decisively shift global power from the Atlantic to the western Pacific Ocean.

No doubt the numbers appear quite compelling. In 1960, East Asia accounted for a mere 14 percent of global GDP; today that figure is about 27 percent. If linear trends continue, the region could account for about 36 percent of global GDP by 2030 and over half of all output by the middle of the century. As if symbolic of a handover of economic preeminence, China, which only accounted for about 5 percent of global GDP in 1960, will likely surpass the United States as the largest economy in the world over the next decade. If past record is an indicator of future performance, then the “Asian Century” prediction is close to a sure thing.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Yuh watch Star Trek ?

Captain Kirk ah Chiney ?

Comment

Don1 you've predicted the economic fall of every country in the world the past few years. It seems to me that by your calculations you'll be the only one left to enjoy the 21st century.
      No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Really???

And what am I "predicting" with this post of a news article?

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
          Really???

And what am I "predicting" with this post of a news article?

Bwoy mi nuh brilliant like you but it is clear to me that in your mind after all nations have fallen only one will be left to rise from the ashes......The Mighty Republic of Don1-istan.
          No need to thank me forumites.

Comment

Basement all deck out yah now. Ready for the "new world"
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by T.K. View Post
              Bwoy mi nuh brilliant like you but it is clear to me that in your mind after all nations have fallen only one will be left to rise from the ashes......The Mighty Republic of Don1-istan.
              LOL!!

As long as mi pikney dem, mi old lady, mi fleshy dem an all mi #1 lady fren dem deh bout....evvyting kriss

Comment

Working...
              X