X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Jamaica In Battle With CARICOM

Source of news story: The Sunday Gleaner, May 17, 2015
    Link: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...move-cet-solar

Paulwell Braces For Battle - CARICOM States Block Jamaica's Bid To Remove CET From Solar Water Heaters Imported From Outside The Region

Published: Sunday | May 17, 2015 Ryon Jones

Jamaicans are paying more for solar water heaters than they need to because CARICOM member states Barbados and St Lucia have repeatedly blocked efforts by the Government to remove the common external tariff (CET) imposed on those items imported from outside the region.

The duty on the water heaters imported from outside the region is now 20 per cent, up from five per cent last year, driving up the price of the units locally.

But with the Simpson Miller administration encouraging Jamaicans to cut their carbon footprint by offsetting the use of gas with solar systems, Energy Minister Phillip Paulwell is adamant that this should be changed.

Paulwell notes that under the CARICOM Single Market and Economy, Jamaica has to apply the duty to solar water heaters from non-member countries as a member country can supply these items.

Continue reading at: http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...move-cet-solar

CARICOM Revenge?

Are some CARICOM countries getting revenge for Jamaica’s perceived reluctance for deeper regionalism?

Just wondering.

Comment

Very unlikely though,it is a double edged sword I am told but I really can't see how Jamaica had ever benefitted..

Comment

Good Point

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        Very unlikely though,it is a double edged sword I am told but I really can't see how Jamaica had ever benefitted..
        I agree with you, Rockie. Also, I, too, cannot see how Jamaica has ever benefitted from its membership in CARICOM.

It’s also hard to forget, for example, “creative deceptions” such as Trinidad and its relabeled foreign goods, Trinidad and its hard-fought effort to keep Jamaican patties out, Guyana and the rice issue, and the list goes on and on.

Comment

Move outta Babylon, rastaman.

Comment

aah bwouy .
            Jamaica you mite get a Petroleum well with
            United Oil by 1.31.26;You also has a NNPC option with the Abuja accord from 2022.What
            happens then I don't know.A Petrol Well is
            Probably forthcoming...

Comment

Working...
            X