RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

The 141 Greatest Jamaicans? ...you decide...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The 141 Greatest Jamaicans? ...you decide...

Posted on 08/09/2013 by Gabrielle Burns

This exercise is important because it will launch the debate about who we are as a people, what are our values, what defines us as being unique in the world. It may help to restore our confidence and sense of patriotism. We may not have a Shakespeare, a Wagner, a Karl Marx, Tchaikovsky, Neil Armstrong, a Christopher Columbus, Sir William Wallace, Einstein, Ernest Hemmingway or an Erasmus on our list, but if Jamaicans can see that we need these people then perhaps some few will rise to the occasion. The persons in bold font are the ones who I think will still have a name in another hundred years. The list is not exhaustive and the names are not ranked in order of importance but rather in the order that I thought of them. Some of these names are relatively unknown and others controversial. The people of Jamaica must decide who is the most important. They may feel free to add other names and delete some of them here but, in time, we should arrive at a list of the 100 Greatest Jamaicans Who Have Ever Lived.

http://gabrielleburns.net/2013/09/greatest-jamaicans/
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Karl: how can you put this up and not comment???!

This list is written with little understanding of history and is dominated by people that lived in our lifetime, like as if Jamaica just popped into existence in the twentieth century. There are some people on this list that make it clear this is not very objective at all.

Such a list must be clear in the criteria for consideration, thus all kind of posers are included.

F for fail, that is the grade for this list.

Comment

"Such a list must be clear in the criteria for consideration" Thanks Stonigut.
      I will not repost this nonsense.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Posted on 08/09/2013 by Gabrielle Burns

This exercise is important because it will launch the debate about who we are as a people, what are our values, what defines us as being unique in the world. It may help to restore our confidence and sense of patriotism. We may not have a Shakespeare, a Wagner, a Karl Marx, Tchaikovsky, Neil Armstrong, a Christopher Columbus, Sir William Wallace, Einstein, Ernest Hemmingway or an Erasmus on our list, but if Jamaicans can see that we need these people then perhaps some few will rise to the occasion. The persons in bold font are the ones who I think will still have a name in another hundred years. The list is not exhaustive and the names are not ranked in order of importance but rather in the order that I thought of them. Some of these names are relatively unknown and others controversial. The people of Jamaica must decide who is the most important. They may feel free to add other names and delete some of them here but, in time, we should arrive at a list of the 100 Greatest Jamaicans Who Have Ever Lived.

http://gabrielleburns.net/2013/09/greatest-jamaicans/
        Fraud - This person did not think of Marcus Garvey or Bob Marley first. Did I miss Bob's name? I can't find it on the list.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

I don't see the problem with the list... she clearly states that it was to start a debate, and that "you" should feel free to add or delete as you see fit. Her intention as I understand it was to eventually COLLECTIVELY arrive at a 100 most important Jamaicans.

What I do agree with is that criteria should be established, but such lists will always be objective, as the criteria themselves ultimately will also be. However, this exercise probably should stimulate us to think about what it is that we value, and what we would like to see in the people that are produced by the country, or the the people that produce our country. The individuals then become secondary, what is primary are the qualities we seek
          Peter R

Comment

In The Meantime....

Extortion Capital ... Criminals Rake In More Than $1 Million A Day In Spanish Town

Criminals are raking in an estimated $1.5 million per day from a major extortion racket in the commercial district of Spanish Town, St Catherine, and the business community is warning that there could be hundreds of job losses if the relevant authorities do not fix the problem once and for all.

Dennis Robotham, president of the St Catherine Chamber of Commerce, said the main target is the Chinese community.

"Thousands of jobs are at stake if the relevant authorities fail this time," Robotham told The Gleaner on Wednesday.

Source: The Jamaica Gleaner, Friday, May 15, 2015
            http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...y-spanish-town

Comment

Histy, that's a reality check for that fantasy list of so-called greatest Jamaicans. Where is Peter Tosh, Asafa Powell, Michael Holding, Shaggy, Grace Jones, Shabba Ranks on the list?
              Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Why not 142? Them left me out? LOL!!!
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No Renato Adams,Dudus ir Vybz Kartek but politicians made the list???
                  The greatest Jakan ever is my mother,pity there are no video recordings of..,tht would be ample proof!

Comment

Bob is #8 and bolded! cho man!

I don't have a problem with the writer thinking of Miss Lou first !

BTW, you see where she have Bolt? #136, like she almost miss him...
                    Peter R

Comment

Here's to the Jamaican mother!! Mummy
                      Peter R

Comment

Respect, Boss

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
                        The greatest Jakan ever is my mother,pity there are no video recordings of..,tht would be ample proof!
                        I love this portion of your post, Rockman. Much respect for it, and I certainly share your sentiments!

Comment

...but Stoni where is your comment? ;
                          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                          X