Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This is what Marcus M. Garvey wrote

in his then "Blackman" Magazine.

The Negro has not yet started to use his mind. The government of the world rests with the use of your mind, the use of your intelligence and we can only win our place in the
    World when we can match intellect with intellect, industry with industry and there will be
    No Jim Crowism affecting you. Why do you think the French, the English and the Americans are removing their subjects from China? It is because the Japanese guns can be fired further than their guns. They know you have nothing in science or in the higher arts, because they know what you are and what you say and do; so they calmly push you aside, but they can’t push themselves aside because they know not whom they are pushing aside. Go on the streets of Toronto and any well dressed white man receives respect from everybody, even the policeman, simply because everybody knows that it is likely to be the prime Minister passing the streets or maybe the King of England, but the best dressed black man, they say it’s a coon going down, because he represents nothing; but a white man walks with the respect of the whole town. You may kick down the Negro anywhere, but if you touch the white man you may stir up war. The Japanese claimed that one Japanese soldier was missing and they mobilized the whole army to look for one soldier and that is partly the cause of the war between China and Japan. Do you think anything would be done if a Negro was lost? Not a chance! No great scientist, no great engineer would be lost as a matter of fact nothing would be lost.

What I say of Toronto is true of the whole world. Do you know how many Negroes have graduated from universities in America, and up to now they haven’t come together yet with a college of scientists to surprise the world. As physicians they resort to the old formula of Epsom salts and castor oil. Every Negro chemist has done the same, right down the ages. They haven’t discovered any dangerous chemicals to kill out a whole population like Mussolini did. The white people know that the Negro is no good but to sell peanuts. Now my friends, you have to get out of that state of mind; you will have to
    Lift yourself intellectually. You must give the world your adventurers, your discoverers. Some of you have been to school and have read everything through history and the biography of men. In the Dominion here you have of Wolfe , who stormed Quebec for white men, and white men who came after Wolfe will never forget that the Dominion belong to them. Columbus left the old world to discover the new, to turn it over to his masters, and do you think the white man is going to turn it over to you just because of your good looks?

Negroes, when you talk big and do nothing, people just laugh at you. In America where most of you come from, if you think that white men are going to turn it over to you, you can wait a long time. If you think they are not proud of what the pilgrim fathers did, of what the rough-riders did to dislodge the Indians, you make a big mistake. You are only
    Going to have what you get by your own initiative, so you had better go about getting what you want now in the proper way. We are not going to get it by worrying God about it, because he is not a political agent of anybody. He is not a surveyor. God has given you the character to get anything you want without playing God, and there is only one man playing God, and that is Father Divine. We are not going to play God, we are just going to play man. What man has done we are going to do! He has built kingdoms, empires, municipalities, townships. He ahs brought civilization to a state of his own appreciation. You will have to do the same.

I wonder if you understand what I mean. I mean you will have to go out into the world sooner or later for your own security. If you want anything in the world you will have to be your own drakes, your own Raleighs, your own Columbuses. It was the buccaneering spirit of Drake and Raleigh that gave the English an idea of a Merchant Marine and a Navy. Before it was made real it existed in the imagination. Everything you do was first fashioned in your mind, and if you can see as far as the fathers of the race have looked, then you will go the length with me, so that we may hand out to succeeding generations what Drake and Raleigh handed down to the British people at home.

Negroes say they haven’t anything to do, when as a matter of fact, they haven’t touched their jobs yet, the great structure that you must hand down the ages. The white man has built up and can now rest. The white man is trying to go up higher. If you don’t mind
    He will be right where God is in a short while, and saying hello. The white man is thinking all the time, never resting, never sleeping, always thinking how to win great laurels.

More fiyah:

Rockefeller who discovered oil and became the richest man in the world outside of Henry Ford, the poor boy who visualized the use of propelled mechanism and is the richest man in the world today. You are the same soul, then why should God be blamed down here by
    You when you are no good. Life is no joke, it is a positive reality. How many of us are living up to the dignity of men? There are some men who are of no use in the world because they do not exercise any thoughtfulness about the world than a sheep or cow. There are some men who could not give a sensible answer to a question because they don’t know what is happening and a sheep wouldn’t know either. Isn’t it a slander on God for man to be so ignorant when God gave him Intelligence!

We are here on our own responsibility. I am here on my own responsibility. God intended
    me to be on my own responsibility and so, in keeping with his intention, he did not join me to anybody. God has made you a unit of his intelligence and you are responsible to him and to the rest of men for your behaviour. He has given you all the things of the earth to satisfy you; he has given you control over animal life and has given you the beautiful atmosphere to use, to enjoy, yet some of you live in the darkest places where the rays of the sun never reach. You complain of starvation and hunger. Who gave the other men a job; tell me when God ever called any man to him with the exception of Moses or a few
    others who had a divine object to carry out. Have you ever thought of that? Every time you beg another man a job you reduce yourself and elevate the other man, you are the creator of your own joy and happiness.

Whom did the white man ask for a job to lay the foundation of the city and the nation. He selected his own job to do his own building. He has built his own ships, air fleet, and he goes down into the bosom of the earth and goes up to the highest of the sky, and he carried his commerce from one point to the next not with angels at the helm but himself charting God’s ocean.
    I wonder if you will think in terms of men and go out and be your own builders and architects. The race waits on you. It will never be greater than you make it and think of
    It. You haven’t laid a foundation of your commercial system, your political system, yet you mimic the white man and say you are unemployed. There is nothing scarcely for him to do. He has already built all his banks, railways, ships; he has already defined the boundaries of his political systems. He has no more cities to expand and you just follow him saying you are tired and you haven’t laid a brick; you haven’t sent one ship a thousand miles across the ocean. When we tried the Negro himself destroyed the project.

Comment

Preach and teach Sir

It is the duty of man to make his knowledge so complete in life , so as to make it impossible for any man to take advantage of him. This is why you find men always educating themselves inside and outside of the classroom, finding out everything that is new. I feel that you in here want to know what is new so that nobody will have you at a
      disadvantage. The man who knows walks the world a colossal success. Sometimes you find him an Edison or a Marconi; but the man who doesn’t know walks around and begs, because he doesn’t know. He doesn’t know the laws of thrift, he doesn’t know the laws of industry, commerce, state: he doesn’t know anything about the political system; he is ignorant of everything and yet God never made a fool. Man has made himself a fool. It is the duty of man to learn all of nature’s ways if he is to boss nature and be the sovereign of the world. A king must know his empire, otherwise his empire will rule him. We have so many fools in the world and those are the people others feed on.
      You will ask why does God allow these things to go on. God only recognizes man. He
      doesn’t recognize rich and poor, particularly when he places him in a world that was here before man came here, knowing well that man would want things for his satisfaction and happiness. When he made man, He made him to enjoy these things and if man doesn’t enjoy these things, it isn’t the fault of God, because God is intelligent and man is a part of God. Do not think your suffering is any virtue that is going to take you into heaven. Your misfortune is the result of your lazy mentality. God did not bless the lazy servant; He cursed and drove away the lazy servant. If man goes around pining and wailing and making himself a useless creature there is no reward for him but his death.

What I have to tell you could not be told in one hour, because of the peculiarity of your community. Ignorance will always make the attempt to hold back intelligence, but intelligence will always ride over ignorance and find its goal. Today the world is trying to
      Save itself through intelligence of the intelligence of visionaries who can look down the ages. The masses of men are always ignorant because they are too lazy to think. The masses are more concerned with their stomachs, and you will find the average man
      thinking of spending more on his meat and sugar, than even intelligently budgeting every ten cents for the improvement of his intelligence out of a dollar. The men who eat up everything they lay their hands on go to their graves unwept, unsung, unhonoured. They eat themselves into all form of diseases and so we bury them by thousands every year, but men who feed their minds more than their stomachs are the men who have reduced life to a science. They live happier, they live longer, they get more joy out of
      life .

What is the matter with your mind? Are you different from Rockefeller who discovered oil and became the richest man in the world outside of Henry Ford, the poor boy who visualized the use of propelled mechanism and is the richest man in the world today. You are the same soul, then why should God be blamed down here by you when you are no good. Life is no joke, it is a positive reality. How many of us are living up to the dignity of men? There are some men who are of no use in the world because they do not exercise the any more thoughtfulness about the world than a sheep or a cow. There are
      Some men who could not give a sensible answer to a question because they do not know what is happening and a sheep wouldn’t know either. Isn’t it a slander on God for man to be so ignorant when God gave him intelligence!

Go home tonight, pray to your Lord to reveal what you are best fitted for, so that you may give the world something new, so that you may rise next morning and be a new genius that may baffle a startled and wondering world. Do not live in the world and pass out like chickens and sheep. When you die leave behind you the memories of men, the memories of Shakespeare, Mrs. Hernans, Victoria, Florence Nightingale, Bismarck, Caesar, Mussolini, Hitler, Mckenzie-King. Have you ever thought of the fact that as old as the world is, according to the religionists, it is six thousand years old, that billions and trillions of people have passed out of the world, and since Adam came here you will find only about thirty-six names written in history having done something. From Moses to Mussolini the men who have stood out, the Wolfes at Quebec, the Washingtons, the Bismarcks, the Sir Christopher Wrens. Names of men of men like Moses, like Abraham, like Solomon and David are fresh in the in the minds of people as if they died yesterday.
      What are you going to do? Are you going to achieve that greatness to leave behind you in marble, in steel, because you made a contribution. Again I ask what contribution are you going to make to your race , to your world? The Universal Negro Improvement is asking you to think it over so that a thousand years from now it will be written in the records that a great Negro man or woman came from Halifax who started great continental systems and built the loftiest monument in commerce and industry.

Comment

Now unnuh see why unnuh haffi mark mi absent pon reparation? A nuh likkle difficulty mi face in life. People lie on me, rob and steal what they can from me,broken dreams and promises along life's way. Do I cry and bawl pointing fingers? No I learn from those experiences and view them as mistakes that I made. Here I am still striving on. My hope is that you get your trillions with a letter.

Saying: Dear black people, we the people of European descent is so sorry for that unique form of slavery that was set up on yor descendants. Enclosed is a check for 100k eouros. If You spend it all by the year's end please let us know and another 50k euros will be sent to you. As bonus we have job openings for you in all our coporations worldwide (mid manager level salary)
        please let us know if you are interested in working.

Again we are so sorry for what our foreparents did to you. It's without a doubt our fault why you are what you are today.

Your's Truly,
        All Causcasians of European descent.

Comment

Ok, we know where you stand.

I'm on the side of reparations, unequivocally. It's the very least that should happen.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Good for you. I guess garvey's word means nothing to you. Oh I forgot garvey didn't attend Oxford. Nuh worry man ebryting criss

Comment

So I may not agree with Garvey on everything so that means "garvey's word means nothing" to me.

Ok then!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So yuh bun Garvey fi wha him say up top?

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
                  So yuh bun Garvey fi wha him say up top?
                  Mi tell yuh say mi a pyromaniac, or dat mi name Capleton?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So when people rob and steal your things, you should just move on , pick yourself up and dust yourself off and leave them with your things? Is that what you are saying?

Reparations cannot save the black race. We all know that. However the Jews, probably the most financially successful athnic group in modern history, sought and received reparations from Germany. Why shouldn't other nations that were persecuted ?

Do you think the pittance given to the Native Americans by the Federal government will ever compensate for what was taken from them in property, life and liberty?
                    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

This is exactly what Jawge does he takes words and or anecdotal historical events twists and extrapolate them to justify inane conclusions. In his mind it is not possible to be pro empowerment pro self reliance and pro reparations. The concept is difficult for him because he has misinterpreted Garvey and black history.
                      There may be pro and cons to the reparation debate but none of his cons stand up to rational scrutiny.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                        Mi tell yuh say mi a pyromaniac, or dat mi name Capleton?
                        LOL!
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

No need to disagree with Garvey here. Only in Jawge's twisted mind does these quotes say anything against the concept of reparations.
                          Does 'Africa for Africans' imply that they are considering themselves victims of history? Or does it signify that black people should reclaim what is rightfully theirs and demand what is legitimately owed to them?

He reads but he does not understand.

Comment

He reads but he does not understand.

context and critical thinking analysis are not among his strong points. worse if he visits the dentist.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

So Rudi...see why i take the position with Mugabe? All his methods may not be ideal, but it maintain that Blacks must not be second-class citizens in their OWN land.........

I think maybe--King Jawge's analogy on reparation may be taken out of context. I am confident he supports reparations. But to sit back and expect that the hostiles will make reparations for their many ills...could be seen as a pipe dream.

In the mean while, ALL three of Garveys letters that King Jawge posted (which I read in full) holds true. There is much work for us Black to do. We NEED to get busy.
                              The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                              X