• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CHEC mates in more rooms for birth of Highway Economic Zone

GWAAN Bart....Wykeham!!!

CHEC adds 1,400 more rooms to planned North South Highway hotels
    BY KARENA BENNETT Business reporter bennettk@jamaicaobserver.com

Saturday, May 09, 2015

CHINA Harbour Engineering Company (CHEC) is now eyeing the development of an additional 1,400 rooms on its planned hotels along the North South Highway.

Under the concession agreement with the developers of the North South link, the Government of Jamaica has provided CHEC with approximately 1,200 acres of land contiguous to the highway for development. Additionally, CHEC has the right to build, own and operate the tolled highway for 50 years, following investments of more than US$600 million ($69 billion) for the highway construction.

Earlier this year, Minister of Transport, Works and Housing Omar Davies reportedly stated that CHEC was considering the construction of three hotels with 1,000 rooms from lands granted to the company under the agreement, along with intentions of engaging in housing and commercial developments.
    But in his contribution to the Sectoral Debate 2015/2016 last month, Davies said the proposed development would include nearly 2,400 rooms.
    Last edited by Don1; May 10, 2015, 07:03 AM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Looks like CHECkers is the only game in town!
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      Looks like CHECkers is the only game in town!
      lol...yuhseeit

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Positive Direction, But....

As a full supporter of the idea of tourism development (virtually every country on the planet has recognized the economic potential of this), I applaud this move.

My only question is this: Will we be able to fill those rooms during the peak season?

Of course, I’m aware of positive developments such as the once-weekly flight from Brazil to Jamaica (and, incidentally, to the Dominican Republic as well), and the plans to have a similar weekly flight from Russia, but my primary concern remains Cuba (in the near future) and the Dominican Republic.

Then again, maybe there is nothing for me to worry about.

Comment

Build it and they will come...

I guess the Chinese may see the potential of visitors from their end and would like to capitalize on the business. With close to 1.25 billion people and with a growing middle class, maybe that is what the developers are banking on to make back their money.

Hopefully, the average Jamaicans will derive some benefit from all of this.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

true dat

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post

My only question is this: Will we be able to fill those rooms during the peak season?

We? You a chiney?

Comment

And even if they don't come, the highway will have been built which ultimately is much more important.

I expect the Chinese to come, and many of them to stay. I hope they do both.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                  And even if they don't come, the highway will have been built which ultimately is much more important.

I expect the Chinese to come, and many of them to stay. I hope they do both.
                  Unfortunately they seem too want to build the hotels in the Dunns River/Roaring Waters watershed area...

That might be a calamity if true...and The Termites may be dumb & desperate enuff to enable that folly

Comment

That should be blocked for sure. The consequences of those types of decisions are irreversible and we have far too few of those national treasures to take any gambles with any of them.

Comment

Let hope they will come. They have build a hotel in the Bahamas too. The spanish hotel so far hasn't resulted in many spanish visitors but hope this will be different.

Let me hope the government haven't given them the regular 15-20 years no tax but will actually benefit from this.

So much for the fire certain man a throw pon tourism.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Yuteman...the mission of our generation MUST be to TRANSFORM Jamaica. Tourism is an important industry but will not be a big contributor to the TRANSFORMATION the more evolved Jamaicans seek for our country. Why??

The skills levels required for tourism are LOW. In the 21st Century low skill levels mean low value add and low ability to drive progress

The INPUT COSTS are VERY HIGH.. Providing services for millions of fat Americans etc means massive imports of consumables and massive FX expenditures to sustain their over-consumption, manage the huge waste they produce and pay for the humongous levels of energy it takes to sustain them.....while they sequester themselves in the big dormitories we call hotels. That cruise thing is even worse in ROI for us..

All this means is that although JA "earns" ~US$2B from tourism.... about 60%-70% of that flows right back out to pay for the maintenance all those fat asses ....plus repatriate the profits of the hotel owners, cruise ship pirates, in-bond trinket sellers etc. Not to mention the income forgone by JA in tax incentives, massive environmental costs etc.

What we're left with from this "great industry" is mostly low paid service workers, trinket sellers and taxi drivers scratching out a living. While this may be a great vision for you....others interested in development economics don't find this picture very appealing.

This picture is so unappealing that betting on building a 21st Century economy with a primary emphasis on that industry is quite ridiculous.

Tourism is well established and should continue and grow. It provides a viable living for many thousands of people so it should be supported. You do a fine job of support

It has its place... but its place is limited if we want rapid progress and TRANSFORMATION
                        Last edited by Don1; May 11, 2015, 08:15 AM.

Comment

Tourism is here to stay and should be encouraged to get even bigger and better.

How is this a problem for your plans to transform Jamaica?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Don1
                            Tourism is well established and should continue and grow. It provides a viable living for many thousands of people so it should be supported.
                            =Mosiah;519514]Tourism is here to stay and should be encouraged to get even bigger and better.
                            Glad you're echoing substantially what I posted. Next time pls give proper source attribution

How is this a problem for your plans to transform Jamaica?
                            Ahm...It's actually NOT a problem. It's just NOT a significant part of the transformation solution. Das all
                            Last edited by Don1; May 11, 2015, 08:36 AM.

Comment

Guess why we earn 2 billion? Because we have no plan in place and to say tourism only have low skilled workers is false.
                              You know what you don't count either, how many Jamaicans worldwide making income from Tourism? I bet that number would be staggering Tourism is the largest employer in Jamaica and if we only had manufacturers, farmers and others working as a unit, we could easily double or triple the amount that is earned from tourism.

How much is STEM currently making for Jamaica? It is ok to dream but some reality is also needed.
                              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
                              X