The Myth Of The Absent Black Father

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Myth Of The Absent Black Father

The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recently published new data on the role that American fathers play in parenting their children. Most of the CDC’s previous research on family life

In fact, in its coverage of the study, the Los Angeles Times noted that the results “defy stereotypes about black fatherhood” because the CDC found that black dads are more involved with their kids on a daily basis than dads from other racial groups:

http://thinkprogress.org/health/2014...-black-father/
    Last edited by Hortical; April 30, 2015, 12:10 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Sounds like cherrypicking to me. Not buying it, yet.

The key phrase there is the study is based on fathers who live with their children. What percent of total black fathers is that, and how does that compare to other racial groups?
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The significance of the research is questioning what we have been told.Remember in Ferguson,drivers from my race were disproportionately stopped and their vehicles searched despite data showing they are the least to be in possession og weapons or drugs.Without that research,we would just assume people from our race are most likely to be in illegal possession.We have to start questioning things,Islandman.

Comment

Question things, but we should not misinterpret things.

The crisis in black fatherhood is not about the behaviour of black fathers who live with their children, it is about the black fathers who do not play a role in the life of their children. Almost by definition, these absentee fathers would not be living with their children, they would be among the almost 70% of black fathers who do not.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying that non-resident fathers are necessarily absentee fathers, I am saying that absentee fathers are typically non-resident fathers.

So all this particular CDC study shows is that among fathers who live with their children, there is no significant racial disparity in their involvement in their childrens lives. Interesting information I suppose, but hardly a revelation about the state of black fatherhood overall in the US.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Excellent Point, Boss

Originally posted by Islandman View Post

The crisis in black fatherhood is not about the behaviour of black fathers who live with their children, it is about the black fathers who do not play a role in the life of their children. Almost by definition, these absentee fathers would not be living with their children, they would be among the almost 70% of black fathers who do not.

PLEASE NOTE: I am not saying that non-resident fathers are necessarily absentee fathers, I am saying that absentee fathers are typically non-resident fathers.

So all this particular CDC study shows is that among fathers who live with their children, there is no significant racial disparity in their involvement in their childrens lives. Interesting information I suppose, but hardly a revelation about the state of black fatherhood overall in the US.
          You have made an excellent point, as usual, Islandman!

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post

Very good I'man
            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Brethren we can't hide it. Too many black fathers and yes Jamaicans are missing from their kids lives. Too many absentee fathers and fathers who don't support their kids or want nothing to do with them. If I ever again her "You know say a mi pickney dat" again, especially a rum bar.
              • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Well I am going to tear a page out of gamma's book,"how can I disagree with you ehen you are making so much sense"!

Salutations !!!

Comment

Working...
                X