Pathologist insists Woolmer murdered

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pathologist insists Woolmer murdered

(Why doesn't this man shut up & accept that he misled the people)

Pathologist insists Woolmer murdered
    Police close Woolmer probe
    KARYL WALKER, Observer staff reporter
    Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas (right) consults with his crime chief, Mark Shields, at yesterday's press conference at the Police Officers' Club in Kingston to announce findings of the Bob Woolmer investigation. (Photo: Bryan Cummings)
    DR Ere Seshaiah, the pathologist who performed the post-mortem on Bob Woolmer, is insisting that the former Pakistan cricket coach was murdered, even after Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas yesterday announced that Woolmer had died of natural causes and that the police have closed their investigation.
    "I am sticking to my findings. He was murdered," Seshaiah told the Observer after he finished performing post-mortems at the Spanish Town morgue yesterday afternoon.
    Dr Seshaiah's insistence that Woolmer was murdered is therefore likely to result in the issue being settled in a coroner's court, as the file detailing the four pathologists' findings, as well as the results of tests carried out on fluid and tissue samples taken from Woolmer's body, and results of the investigation will now be handed over to the coroner for the Corporate Area, Patrick Murphy.
    During a press conference at the Police Officers' Club in Kingston yesterday morning, Thomas said three independent pathologists - Dr Nat Carey of the United Kingdom, Professor Lorna Martin of South Africa, and Dr Michael Pollenan of Canada - all concluded that Woolmer died from a heart attack caused by a combination of illnesses.
    "He had an enlarged heart which was brought on by a number of illnesses," Thomas said. "The police have now closed their investigation into Bob Woolmer's mysterious death," added the police chief.
    But Dr Seshaiah, who had remained silent despite being hauled over the coals by his fellow practitioners, yesterday defended his conclusion.
    "I am confident he was murdered," Dr Seshaiah told the Observer. "Woolmer is not a first for me, I have been doing autopsies here since 1995."
    Yesterday, former South African cricket captain and close friend of Woolmer, Clive Rice, defended Dr Seshaiah's findings.
    In a report on the cricketworldcuplatest.com website, Rice alleged that there was an attempt at a cover up because of a fear factor involved for all cricketers and cricket coaches. "If the death was natural, then the pathologist would have known," the report quoted Rice as saying.
    Two days after Woolmer's death, director of communications for the Jamaica Constabulary Force, Karl Angell, had announced, on behalf of Commissioner Thomas, that Dr Seshaiah's post-mortem had revealed that Woolmer had died from asphyxiation as a result of manual strangulation. That announcement came just three hours after the police issued an initial statement that the results of the autopsy were inconclusive.
    Lead investigator into Woolmer's death, Deputy Commissioner Mark Shields, has been the target of the British media and some of his colleagues after reports surfaced that Woolmer had not been murdered but had died of a heart attack.
    Yesterday, in response to a question as to whether he would resign, Shields told journalists at the press conference, "I love my job and I love working in this country. I am looking forward to the next two years of my contract. We are not pathologists and if we had not sought other opinions we would have also been criticised."
    In the meantime, the U-turn in the Bob Woolmer investigation has shone the spotlight on the woeful inadequacies of Jamaica's forensic capabilities. But Commissioner Thomas gave the assurance that newly-acquired digital photographic and video equipment will now be used to record all post-mortem examinations carried out in sudden deaths.
    Woolmer was found dead by a chambermaid in room 375 on the 12th floor of the Jamaica Pegasus Hotel on March 18, the morning after his team's stunning three-wicket loss to minnows Ireland at Sabina Park in the first round of the Cricket World Cup.
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

Come now Mdmex, isn't it the norm? In Jamaica those that mislead are ... well. You get the picture. Portia need to defend him just like how she defended Paulwell. She nuh believe in equal opportunity?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

If Seshaiah drew the incorrect conclusion as suggested by the other three experts then I can understand why he won't admit it. It would cast serious doubt on his competence, his best counter attack is to insist on murder and imply that a cover up took place.

On the other hand, if Seshaiah was forced to change his finding from 'unsure' to 'murder' it then he cannot admit it. People would wonder how many other cases he classified as murder under pressure from the police.

Seshaiah best defense is to insist on murder and spilt the opinions between incompetence (or a mistake) and cover up. He cannot afford for the public to believe that we was forced to change his mind!

(PS I always believed and still believes that Woolmer felled and hurt his neck.)
      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Can you now see why Seshaiah has to promote the murder theory? He can't admit that he was forced to change his conclusion and he can't admit that he made a mistake.

Confidence in our forensic capability badly shaken

Thursday, June 14, 2007

An untenable situation has emerged here over the conclusion reached based on the post-mortem on the body of former Pakistan cricket coach, Mr Bob Woolmer.
        Against the official position now being adopted by the Jamaica Constabulary Force (JCF) - that Mr Woolmer died of natural causes - Dr Ere Seshaiah, the pathologist who performed the autopsy, is insisting that the late cricket coach was, indeed, murdered.
        "I am sticking to my findings. He was murdered," Dr Seshaiah was quoted as saying in yesterday's Observer, right after Police Commissioner Lucius Thomas announced that Mr Woolmer had died of natural causes and that the police had closed their investigation.
        Dr Seshaiah's position, we are told, runs counter to the conclusion by three independent pathologists - Dr Nat Carey of the United Kingdom, Professor Lorna Martin of South Africa, and Dr Michael Pollenan of Canada - all of whom believe that Mr Woolmer died of a heart attack caused by a combination of illnesses.
        Dr Seshaiah's insistence that Mr Woolmer was murdered cannot be dismissed out of hand. After all, the Jamaican justice system has relied on and will continue to rely on his conclusions, in similar matters of death.
        It will be obvious to readers that we, as a newspaper, are in no position to decide who is wrong or who is right. But the country has a vested interest in having pathologists in whom it can repose only the greatest confidence. The current situation, wittingly or unwittingly, calls into question the ability of Dr Seshaiah.
        The wrongful conclusion by a pathologist that a murder has occurred will send the police on a potentially expensive wild goose chase after non-existent suspects. That in itself is bad. Worse is when it holds up our country to ridicule before the global company of nations.
        For all we know, Dr Seshaiah may be right and the other three pathologists wrong. But there is grave doubt about our ability to come to a certain and final conclusion on a matter of death, a conclusion that can enjoy the confidence of everyone involved. We were always under the impression that an autopsy was a matter of science.
        Another matter which deeply concerns us is the question of whether we have in this country, adequate personnel and equipment to conduct post-mortems. It seems to us that every time that a major or controversial death has occurred - recall, for example, the Crawle and Braeton shootings - that we have had to rely on overseas help in handling the post-mortems.
        It begs the question as to the integrity or accuracy of previous post-mortems conducted below the radar of public opinion in Jamaica. We, of course, note Commissioner Thomas' assurance that newly acquired digital photographic and video equipment will now be used to record all post-mortem examinations carried out in cases of sudden death.
        That answers the question of equipment. What of the personnel? And that is why our Government must move with all haste to restore confidence in our forensic capability.
        The review of the investigations into the Woolmer case announced yesterday by National Security Minister Dr Peter Phillips will, we hope, help to inform how the country goes about restoring that confidence.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

"And that is why our Government must move with all haste to restore confidence in our forensic capability."

Restore?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Yes restore - We had confidence is the system before we gain independence!

Comment

Cyaan memba dat far back. Wasn't even around. But, you are probably right. What a shame that the white colonialist used to treat wi betta dan how wi treat wisself.

Wha yuh say Ben? Black Man Time!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Neither I and I just trying to make a point that we never had faith in this system.

Comment

True. Ever since dem slew Paul Bogle. At least in those days, even di white man, George William Gordon, was not spared.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Mosiah and Time, please don't back to that "the white-man was better for us" nonsense. If the system sucks, just say so..the mental slavery thing runs deep...ther is so many terrible things about the colonial past that we still cling to - bureaucracy is one I can think off, of the bat (for want of a better term with west Indies spoiling my morning)...

Comment

After independence the pathological services that were provided by local doctors was of the highest calibre. Unfortunately, politricks and NOT the lure of money (maybe crime to and extent though) saw the emigration of experienced and highly qualified individuals in the field... the proverbial brain-drain.

Sad situation. The "truth" has now been muddied and we'll probably never ever know it. Who knows whose "neck bone" the other three doctors examined? then again the Dr could in fact be incompetent.

Anyway, this newest findings conveniently cleans up a lot of the mess... and only the Dr has to take the fall. Dem probably haffi give him a platinum handshake anyway, so him smiling to the bank.

pr
                      Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                        Mosiah and Time, please don't back to that "the white-man was better for us" nonsense. If the system sucks, just say so..the mental slavery thing runs deep...ther is so many terrible things about the colonial past that we still cling to - bureaucracy is one I can think off, of the bat (for want of a better term with west Indies spoiling my morning)...
                        You need to free your mind of this color ting.

'Black Man Time' was a political esoteric that only serves for irony... I refer to it frequently because there are mindless sheep that bought into it then and still buy into it now... stuck in mentaly slavery where race are the chains binding them.

You cannot TALK your way into 'equality'.. in this world you have to PRODUCE your way into 'equality'.. we can cling to the individual exploits of our athletes and harp on about 'great leaders' with the gift of gab.. I don't need to call names.. until we are able to PRODUCE as a NATION as big as our TALK we will always be 'slaves'... independence is a joke term.. meaningless, we continue to fool ourselves, the latest is Caribbean Court of Justice.. as we continue to 'liberate' ourselves for the 'colonial' shackles... comedy to ****************... when wi should been clinging on to the 'shackles' and squeezing everthing possible out of them till we established firm footing we act like a restless teenager that leave home and haffi come back fi sleep inna di basement.. or call daddy whenever we pocket short...

Some individuals got a ego boost and have dem face all pon money now.. good fi dem.. meanwhile 'We deh yah pon di gully-side...same way'
                        Last edited by Muadib; June 17, 2007, 09:38 AM.

Comment

Point taken - In the past we have chosen and paid overseas consultants to cover up things...Ans one of the overseas doctor did say that the bone was never broken...you cant have it both ways...either it was broken or never broken.

Comment

I would never want to go back to our colonial times. My statements should only serve to point out how we have messed with our independence and how we still remain mentally enslaved.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

No White Man

Originally posted by Exile View Post
                              .... I am not saying that the White man was better for us...all things considered, we have come a long way since indepedence...and is some areas we have replace the white slave master with a black man who behave almost just as bad...

Comment

Working...
                              X