X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Come clean, Jah Cure

Wednesday, June 13, 2007

Dear Editor,

Finally, someone with a moral code and ethical compass has said Jah Cure must apologise to the victim of his rape. (I refer to the letter by Marie Iton in the Observer of June 6.) In a land that is fast becoming lawless, I am amazed at the number of women who are willing to look beyond Jah Cure's evil act and to blame Babylon for his situation. Only Jah Cure is to be blamed for his situation.

Parole must be reserved for those perpetrators who have shown remorse for their act. Jah Cure has not done so. He does not deserve to be freed until he does. The law does not permit the Parole Board to free him until it is satisfied that he is remorseful and will not become a repeat offender. We have to go back to the rule of law.

His celebrity is not a reason to free him. I love his music, but he can stay in prison for the entire 15 years if he does not come clean with his victim.

Jah Cure, come clean. Your so-called fans and supporters who are clamouring for your release do not care about you, the victim or Jamaica. Some of them see dollar signs in you.
    Be a man who has learned something from being behind those prison walls. Apologise to your victim. Let us see you as a man who made a mistake. Ask for forgiveness and it will be yours. Let us enjoy your freedom and music without the stains. Apologise.

Richard Newman
    richardnewmsan@cwjamaica.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Jah Cure ended up in prison ... and rightly so for what he did. The youth paid his debt to society for what he did, so why all of a sudden people now want him to apologise / come clean?

"Parole must be reserved for those perpetrators who have shown remorse for their act."

Really? Any barrister deh bout?
    Last edited by Lazie; June 13, 2007, 10:01 AM.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

What if he still believes he is innocent?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
        Aren't there conditions on paroles? If one violates the conditions .. well see what happened to Paris Hilton? The youth served time for the crime, why now that he may be paroled there is a call for him to apologise? Him pay him debt .. well at least part of it, to society already. By the way, has the victim asked for an apology?
        Last edited by Lazie; June 13, 2007, 09:15 AM.

Comment

Then he wouldn't have gotten parole:

The Board shall grant parole to an applicant if the Board is satisfied that:

(a) he has derived maximum benefit from imprisonment
          and he is, at the time of his application for parole, fit to be released from the adult correctional
          centre on parole;

(b) the reform and rehabilitation of the applicant will be aided by parole; and

(c) the grant of parole to the applicant will not, in the opinion of the Board, constitute a danger to society.

I doubt seriously that a prisoner would be granted parole if he still insists he is innocent. What you think?

Comment

Your quote does not suggest to me that one has to admit to the crime. There could be other reasons why the parole board may not think that the prisoner will constitute a danger to society.

Anyway, not trying to defend rapists or to free anybody. Just a pity that Jah Cure and others had to pass thru our criminal justice system. It's the same one that has freed murderous cops over and over again.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Your quote does not suggest to me that one has to admit to the crime. There could be other reasons why the parole board may not think that the prisoner will constitute a danger to society.
              "The REFORM and REHABILITATION of the applicant will be aided by parole" ...you don't think it would be a little difficult to recommend parole under this condition if someone insists they are innocent?

Comment

If I am innocent of a crime, 15 years in lock-up won't have me admitting that I did it. I don't agree that such an admission is the only indication that I won't repeat the crime that I believe I was incapable of doing and did not do.

Hey, it's their rules, it's their parole board. If they require an apology first, then so be it. But the fact that he is apparently on his way out and he has not apologised suggests that that is not a requirement.

With our justice system, who knows!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

But the fact that he is apparently on his way out and he has not apologised suggests that that is not a requirement.
                  I wasn't aware you sat on the parole board? How do you know he has not apologised or does he also have to make a public apology?

Comment

Did you see the word apparently? Sorry, I'll be more precise and use it more liberally. I can see how the wording may have caused some problems.

In any case, isn't that what this whole thread is about, that he has not apologised?!?!

If you re-read my posts, not one of them could suggest that I know what is actually happening. Refer to the fact that wi talking about Jamaica's justice system.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Okay but what makes the letter writer believe that he has not apologised?

Comment

I don't know. I guess he has not heard of anything and by the Gleaner article some months ago that featured the case, I believe the victim was saying that he had not apologised. I can recall that Jah Cure himself was not apologetic about it.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                        X