Holy Trinity High School the latest project for educator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Holy Trinity High School the latest project for educator

She had defied her mother's wish for her to go into medicine and instead moved into education where, for much of her life, she has been diagnosing and fixing ailing schools.
    Margaret Brissett-Bolt had managed to breathe new life into St Peter Claver Primary School, which, at the time of her takeover, was virtually on life support. The inner-city school thrived under her leadership, and as it did, parents who once shunned the institution were among those begging for their children to be enrolled there.
    "I went there four days after (Hurricane) Gilbert in 1988 and people had moved into the school and had taken over the premises, so all the benches and so forth were now firewood. Oh jeez, it was terrible," recounted the educator with her hands on her head.
    "They had one Common Entrance pass and they were so proud of this one young man, as if to say, this is it, and I was saying, 'but you have 50-odd other students, so what happen to them'?" Brissett-Bolt told The Sunday Gleaner.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/l...ned-fix-ailing
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

This is a woman fighting against tremendous odds to give her students a fighting chance. I wish her the best and hope she gets the kind of support she will need to really make a permanent change.

When a young person has these feelings of worthlessness at such a young age we should not really be surprised when life means nothing to them. it is very sad.

There was this boy who said to me, 'Miss, we are the garbage, they are just waiting to put us out at the gate'. I will never forget that statement and I say 'my God, these are now 14- and 15-year-old students who were waiting to be put out, and I said 'no way'," asserted the determined educator.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Working...
    X