• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Obama Clean-up anger

Obama Clean-up anger
    Vendors furious about their stalls being demolished

BY KIMMO MATTHEWS Observer staff reporter matthewsk@jamaicaobserver.com

Tuesday, April 07, 2015

Vendors who ply their trade at National Heroes Circle pick up what is left of their stalls destroyed by authorities Sunday night. (PHOTO: BRYAN CUMMINGS)

PREPARATIONS for this week's visit of US President Barack Obama have triggered anger among street vendors in sections of the capital city as their stalls have been destroyed.

"We understand that they have to be fixing up areas where Obama will be travelling, but what they are doing to us is unfair," said 67-year-old Claudette Reid who sells crabs at National Heroes Circle.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...anger_18708090

BLACK LIVES MATTER

How bout those crabs sold at National Heroes Circle? Didn't know those crabs came from the sewer until I watched the bizarre foods episode on the travel channel. I'm sure I've also ate dog & cat meat, but I can't be certain.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
      How bout those crabs sold at National Heroes Circle? Didn't know those crabs came from the sewer until I watched the bizarre foods episode on the travel channel. I'm sure I've also ate dog & cat meat, but I can't be certain.
      Huh? The crabs come from where?!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

den crab nuh lan jancrow

Comment

JEEP is in full effect! Especially on the Mona road.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Not to worry.....

"‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Fun and joke aside, the authorities could really have handled this better.

OK, so you need to move the vendors to accomodate the visit, so why not compensate them for the income that will be lost and the stalls that were destroyed? Surely that would cost a pittance compared to all the last-minute infrastructure work being done for this short visit by the president.

That is the least that i would expect from a govt that "loves poor people".
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
                Fun and joke aside, the authorities could really have handled this better.

OK, so you need to move the vendors to accomodate the visit, so why not compensate them for the income that will be lost and the stalls that were destroyed? Surely that would cost a pittance compared to all the last-minute infrastructure work being done for this short visit by the president.

That is the least that i would expect from a govt that "loves poor people".

Did you read what the Minister of Miss-information said

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...coner_18714857

What a Wikkid set of yellow people!
                Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                - Langston Hughes

Comment

I don't know if they are weak. I know they are extremely ugly. When they have packed up for the day, there is nothing more disgusting than the stalls they leave behind, not just the crab vendors'.

Maybe they can get LIME to sponsor some decent looking stalls for the crab vendors and the vendors downtown because the current ones are an obnoxious eyesore!

And this kind of clean up happens all the time when we're having guests over. We do it ourselves at home. Yes, I believe we could have handled it better in some cases. In others, a just suh di ting set!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Cleanup is fine but only the poorest in society would have many days of income taken away from them without notice with the general public thinking they should not be compensated for it.

Just so the ting set...when you poor.

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
                      Did you read what the Minister of Miss-information said

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/...coner_18714857

What a Wikkid set of yellow people!

She says the West Kingston MP agreed that the vendors were operating in an unauthorised vending area without the requisite licences and permits from the KSAC and the Public Health Department. Both parties also reportedly agreed that the vendors were operating under unhygienic conditions.

But yes, they will be back

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/article/n...r-obama-leaves
                      The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

They cleaning up the mad people and giving some of them shelter.

"Some of us them move off the road carry them up a Bellevue give injection. Others get new clothes and haircut ," the 54-year-old Brown said, adding that he has been forced to live on the streets for the past 14 years

What about the people who are living in the New Kingston gully?

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...-Obama-s-visit
                        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

They should at least have been given notice. Yuh can't come a work one morning and not see yuh tings. And if that couldn't be avoided, compensate di people dem.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

The issue is the timing and the treatment of the people, not the act that successive govts have allowed them to operate there illegally for decades.

They should be compensated for thier loss of income while plans are being made on what should be done.

Comment

People got lyrics a reader's comment: -- Pegasus and Bellevue fully booked!
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X