Fairness and balance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairness and balance

Over time, I have had profound admiration for the erudition of both Mr. Justice Roy Anderson and the Solicitor General, Mr. Michael Hylton Q.C., the two whose reputation are being somewhat slighted by the publicity given to the controversy. I personally regret the habit of the JLP of dishonouring talented Jamaicans by not supporting elevation to high office.

The new Opposition Leader, Mr. Bruce Golding, has picked up where his predecessor, Mr. Edward Seaga, left off, in finding reasons to oppose the appointment of persons who are often the best candidates for the jobs. Mr. Michael Hylton was clearly the candidate of choice for Chief Justice, with good reason. The 30 years he has practised law have been marked both at the private bar and the public bar with integrity, erudition and competence. (Komrade Garnett Roper, funny him talking bout fairness and balance? Kinda like Karl and JAwge talking about objectivity).

Heard Bruce talking to the IJJ about this. The man said he asked the PM to have a meeting to discuss the appointment. All he asked for was the meeting, he said nothing of his endorsement or opposition to Mr. Hylton's appointment. He said prior to the meeting being held, he heard that Hyton withdrew his candidacy. Suh, how come he is being blamed for this?

Is Portia too big to have a meeting with the Opposition Leader? X and Karl used to cry fi constitutional reform, how dem suh silent lately?
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Hylton's letter! If all Bruce asked Portia for was a meeting to discuss the appointment, how did Hylton come to this? Loose lips? Well unuh know wha mi mean.

The Most Honourable Portia Simpson Miller
    Prime Minister
    Office of the Prime Minister
    1 Devon Road
    Kingston

As I indicated when we spoke on March 30, I consider it a great honour to have been considered for appointment as Chief Justice of Jamaica. As a result of developments since then, however, I regret that I am no longer able to accept such an appointment and must therefore ask that you not consider me further.

As you know, our system needs major reform and the new Chief Justice will have a critical role to play in that process. He or she will need the support of all stakeholders, and in a two-party democracy such as ours, this must include the support of both major political parties.

I understand that the Leader of the Opposition has not indicated support for my appointment. We are now less than a month away from the effective date and no announcement has been made and none of the necessary consequential processes have been initiated.

It is more important for the country that someone be found who enjoys bipartisan support, and hopefully my withdrawal will clear the way for this to be done in the little time left before the mandatory retirement of the incumbent Chief Justice.

Thank you for having considered me. You can be assured that the new Chief Justice and all efforts to improve the delivery of justice in Jamaica will have my full and continued support.
    B. St. Michael Hylton

NCB Towers
    2nd Floor, North Tower
    2 Oxford Road
    Kingston 5.
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X