Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three visions for Black America: Washington, DuBois, Garvey

Three Visions for African Americans

The problem for African Americans in the early years of the 20th century was how to respond to a white society that for the most part did not want to treat black people as equals. Three black visionaries offered different solutions to the problem.

Booker T. Washington argued for African Americans to first improve themselves through education, industrial training, and business ownership. Equal rights would naturally come later, he believed. W. E. B. Du Bois agreed that self-improvement was a good idea, but that it should not happen at the expense of giving up immediate full citizenship rights. Another visionary, Marcus Garvey, believed black Americans would never be accepted as equals in the United States. He pushed for them to develop their own separate communities or even emigrate back to Africa.

http://www.crf-usa.org/brown-v-board...americans.html
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

poem by Dudley Randall

http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/booker-t-and-w-e-b/

'It seems to me,' said Booker T.,
    'It shows a mighty lot of cheek
    To study chemistry and Greek
    When Mister Charlie needs a hand
    To hoe the cotton on his land,
    And when Miss Ann looks for a cook,
    Why stick your nose inside a book?'
    'I don't agree,' said W.E.B.,
    'If I should have the drive to seek
    Knowledge of chemistry or Greek,
    I'll do it. Charles and Miss can look
    Another place for hand or cook.
    Some men rejoice in skill of hand,
    And some in cultivating land,
    But there are others who maintain
    The right to cultivate the brain.'
    'It seems to me,' said Booker T.,
    'That all you folks have missed the
    boat
    Who shout about the right to vote,
    And spend vain days and sleepless
    nights
    In uproar over civil rights.
    Just keep your mouths shut, do not
    grouse,
    But work, and save, and buy a house.'
    'I don't agree,' said W.E.B.,
    'For what can property avail
    If dignity and justice fail.
    Unless you help to make the laws,
    They'll steal your house with
    trumped-up clause.
    A rope's as tight, a fire as hot,
    No matter how much cash you've got.
    Speak soft, and try your little plan,
    But as for me, I'll be a man.'
    'It seems to me,' said Booker T. --
    'I don't agree,'
    Said W.E.B.

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Well ~100 years on we know the pathetic result of the choice

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      Three Visions for African Americans

The problem for African Americans in the early years of the 20th century was how to respond to a white society that for the most part did not want to treat black people as equals. Three black visionaries offered different solutions to the problem.

Booker T. Washington argued for African Americans to first improve themselves through education, industrial training, and business ownership. Equal rights would naturally come later, he believed. W. E. B. Du Bois agreed that self-improvement was a good idea, but that it should not happen at the expense of giving up immediate full citizenship rights. Another visionary, Marcus Garvey, believed black Americans would never be accepted as equals in the United States. He pushed for them to develop their own separate communities or even emigrate back to Africa.

http://www.crf-usa.org/brown-v-board...americans.html
      Tragically the Booker T/DuBois/NAACP integration model was followed...AFTER Babylon neutralized Garvey and decimated the Black Nationalist movement. Babylon knew that the Garvey model was a clear and present danger to White Supremacy

So now in the 2nd decade of the 21st Century...Black Americans, the leading segment of the world's African population...have this profile:

* By far the lowest rates of income, wealth, education, home ownership, business ownership, health outcomes.

* By far the highest rates of unemployment, poverty, homelessness, dependence on govt handouts, chronic illnesses, incarceration, murder by police & civilians etc etc

In many cases so called 3rd World countries have better outcomes than this rot.

But there's a Black guy in the White House!!! Yay!!!!!
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

LOL. I enjoyed that.
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

It is not very encouraging at all.

I really don't know what it is going to take for some major changes in the outcomes. We still focus far too much on the symptoms and not the causes.

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
            It is not very encouraging at all.

I really don't know what it is going to take for some major changes in the outcomes. We still focus far too much on the symptoms and not the causes.
            yuhseeit
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
            X