X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Posted for Mi brethren Karl and Jawge to read

Clinton: U.S. must boost manufacturing
    By DAVID AGUILAR Sat Jun 9, 2:17 PM ET

DETROIT - Hillary Rodham Clinton told union members and their families Saturday that the country must spend more on manufacturing.

"If we don't have a strong manufacturing base in our economy, it won't be long until we don't have a strong economy," the Democratic presidential candidate said.
    She also cited education, said she wanted to work for universal health care and would bring troops home from Iraq.
    Clinton said revitalizing the beleaguered manufacturing industry is critical, given fierce global competition and growing health care and retirement costs.
    "We borrow money every day from other countries like China," Clinton said.
    She pledged a "smarter" and "tougher" trade stance with countries such as South Korea, which she said keeps U.S.-made automobiles out and further harms American manufacturers.
    Michigan AFL-CIO President Mark Gaffney said Clinton delivered a strong message.
    "I think she set herself up as a very credible labor candidate," he said. "She showed she understands our issues, as well as agrees with our issues."
    Gaffney said Clinton's emphasis on affordable universal health care was appropriate, particularly for a union-friendly audience whose employment is often tied to their company's ability to pay for medical benefits.
    Clinton did not say if she will support a Senate bill that calls for tighter emissions standards on U.S. vehicles. Automakers oppose the bill.
    "I was very impressed," said Detroit resident Geraldine Chatman, 70, a retired member of the American Federation of State, County and Municipal Employees union. She said she liked what Clinton had to say about health care.
    "I liked everything she said. ... I just question how she's going to get it all done. It was very ambitious."
    Clinton's presentation, attended by about 700 union members and their families, was part of an effort by the national AFL-CIO to have the rank and file meet Democratic presidential candidates in town-hall style formats.
    Clinton's Michigan appearance was the first in the state since she announced her candidacy.
    Organized labor spent some $100 million on get-out-the-vote efforts last year, and reached tens of millions of voters by phone calls, mail and door-to-door canvassing on behalf of labor-backed candidates.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

If we don't have a strong manufacturing base in our economy, it won't be long until we don't have a strong economy," the Democratic presidential candidate said.
    She also cited education, said she wanted to work for universal health care and would bring troops home from Iraq.
    Clinton said revitalizing the beleaguered manufacturing industry is critical, given fierce global competition and growing health care and retirement costs.
    "We borrow money every day from other countries like China," Clinton said.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Working...
    X