RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Separated at birth? Guess who's this pioneer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Separated at birth? Guess who's this pioneer?

Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

We do know who it is NOT. It is NOT Thomas Jennings.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I came across this the other day. You obviously know more than me about this (no sarcasm intended). Enlighten me.

https://www.google.com/search?q=thom...21%3B720%3B579
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I saw your fren a quote from Wikipedia (to Assasin) de-odder-day.

Juss haffi shake mi 'edd to rahtid.
        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

It's been an ongoing debate for a while now. It seems very unlikely that the photo was Jennings because he was born in 1791, would have been in his 50s-60s by the time that type of photography was available. That photo must be a relatively young man, considering the harsh life led by an early19th century negro.

But is it Bogle? Some say the description given by the British when they put out the call for his capture does not match the photo. The Jamaica historical society seem to believe it is him, they got the photo from someone in the Stoney Gut area, but I have not seen them produce any evidence to support that. So I guess we do not really know. Personally I have doubts that it is Bogle.

A few local articles on the topic.

https://thebitterbean.wordpress.com/...sted-identity/

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2...cleisure2.html
          Last edited by Islandman; February 24, 2015, 08:29 AM.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

What a mess!
            Beginning to think that is not a photo of Paul Bogle too,lack of evidence and doubts regarding authenticity from waaay back when.
            I am Bogle,Marin is Bogle,there is no chance of Bogle legacy being forgotten.
            The two are fundamentally similar,so..
            Edna Manley raised the issue..
            Last edited by Rockman; February 24, 2015, 09:35 AM.

Comment

This is the beauty of this forum. Thanks for the education I-man.

Comment

Re Edna Manley , I noticed in one of the articles it said that she used her gardner as the model for the Paul Bogle statue. I don't believe that is true, my understanding is that she found a grandson of Bogle and he was used as the model. There was an article in the a Observer fairly recently where they found the grandsons widow and she confirmed that story.

Comment

Seems it would have been better if the issue was pursued at that time as opposed to now.With the vagueness regarding descriptions,I wonder how many people fitting that description was killed prior..?

Comment

As to the way ti go forward I say refute tge ckaims that it is Jennings and establish that it is from Jamaica.

Comment

Working...
                    X