No announcement yet.

Gays caused J'can music to suffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

maybe so but don't tell me it didn't affect the music especially during the 90s
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

A positive effect if you ask me , new markets were turned to.This narrow view that reggaes' justification lies in a caucasian amer- european market, got challenged, they found refuge in Africa and those inline with african cultural customs globally.

Bedstuy and East NY loved it.
      THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

When were these market turned to???? Reggae was big in Africa, way before the 90s. You know when Ghana people was upset at Shabba for his extra"Raw" performance back in the days????

Gwaan fool yourself. Some of that ludity and hate is not accepted in all African country so gwaan think so. IF you notice it is mostly the cultural artists that have regular tours to Africa. Most Reggae artist have never been there.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

It definitely affected dancehall music and its exposure to more mainstream audiences.

Roots reggae has had other issues. For example before this recent reggae revival movement the average age of a Jamaican reggae artiste touring appeared to be above 50. Give thanks for these youths who are now bringing something fresh to the music, however as you say a breakout hit is needed.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I must have been blind and deaf in NY in the 90s .

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Part of the problem was dancehall then was promoted as reggae and wasn't really seen as a different genre. If you remember well, you had some big cross over hits during that time.

During the 90s a lot of roots singers were sideline by our local radio. A lot of the radio people were into payola and certain money was running. Many of the cultural artists got fed up and spent their time touring, and not recording.

It is good that we have a revival in reggae and the new women movement must also be credited.

Comment

Ask island what he meant by mainstream,then make a cognitive response.

Comment

Let Iman speak for himself, Thank you.

Comment

lol....you responded to his mainstream proposition , so what happened to the other markets.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                      Gays caused J'can music to suffer

CURTIS CAMPBELL, STAR Writer

Iconic entertainment manger Copeland Forbes says Jamaican music lost the war against the homosexual community.

According to Forbes, the war was unnecessary and only served to set back reggae and dancehall music for decades.

The manager, who has worked with a long list of icons including Beres Hammond, Gregory Isaacs, The Wailers, Peter Tosh, Ziggy Marley, Sugar Minott and Luciano, was speaking to The STAR at the recently concluded International Reggae Conference hosted at The University of The West Indies. He believes it will take a strong level of professionalism for Jamaican music to bounce back.

"I used to tell my artistes you don't need to go down that road, leave that alone. You don't need to go on stage and address homosexuality because it existed before you, and it will exist after you are gone. The sad thing is that our entire music industry was affected," he said.

http://jamaica-star.com/thestar/20150217/ent/ent1.html
                      Fish Sink Dancehall
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
                        Awaiting your conscious thoughts on the JLP lettergate.
                        Mi clavicle!!
                        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Working...
                        X