No announcement yet.

Rainforest seafood!!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Good one Zaidie, ziadie, it's all the same to me, Mosiah you must have been a local spelling bee champ, tell me is not true.

Yeah I had, still have many Ziadie Gardens connections was an integral part of my life in many unusual ways, used to hangout on Aldene drive quite a bit, family friends and personal friends dot the map in all kind of places, funny thing looking at the map how it us geographically outlined it shows that area just in front of the old Brooks shoppers fair, Burke and Hugh miller ave are not considered to be Ziadie gardens. So the Swap shop, Champion battery and the gas station are not in Ziadie gardens and I never realized it stretched down to Molynes Road, always thought of it as right across from Calabar basically along boulevard from red hills road to the Hughenden gully line across the Boulevard.

Comment

Originally posted by Willi View Post
      "Man putting his money where his mouth is, both me and probably you have Nuff ideas but can't find the courage to put money, idea and mind into action."

See why its orders of magnitude easier for him. Him have automatic bailout of all fails. Not the same risk profile at all. You and I have to ensure seh food always on the table for family.

Man can indulge in over expansion and unwisely broad product line.

I dont know what you do for a living, but I do analyze and judge corporate investment ventures for a living and have developed decent instincts. Many Jamaican companies are not very strategic. Its just brute force employment of hegemonic capital. Worse now that nuff braniac businesses started by technically competent tyeps like the power transformer guy were FINSACKED! Who can afford to risk it all now, but the well heeled connected set? Free enterprise is almost dead.
      Great conversation you, Stoni & Sass having, why spoil it with that inaccurate statement!

That guy committed an error - Produced what he could not afford to warehouse and for which he had no order!!! He had goods on hand that for which he had no buyer!!!!

These ideas by this 'coming' (we hope) guy are wonderful and any of his products/each of the products has a huge market!

Cho man, Willi...
      Good posts, guys (...save Willi's unfortunate comments on the producer of transformers without markets...damn?...a single order for same!!!).
      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Au contraire Willi, free enterprise is Alive and well in every nook and cranny of Jamaica, hustlers, hucksters and higglers (meant in a positive way) abound in a confused system that cannot get out of its own way and create a real path for these natural free enterprise types to survive, thrive and grow. Every one of us know multiple people who have created a living out of nothing and I am not talking about anything explicitly illegal.

Comment

Yeah you make some good points there but don't bother think is only in a Jamaica we have these saprophytic type of capitalists that literally want everything wrapped up in a basket and bow tied to come out of their little holes and pretend to be free market experts, they abound in the Us as well in a system I would call welfare capitalism, they won't play unless they are guaranteed certain deals and I am talking about public or semi public money then they talk about competition and free markets.

On the devaluation issue the real deal is we devalue theoretically so you can gain a short term advantage in export markets and push you foot further into the door and if you can source locally and there is room for supply source expansion then devaluation is a wickedly great tool, unfortunately for us we cannot take advantage on the export side due to supply limitations and the worse part is the import side where we have a locked in propensity to consume exotic and not so exotic import goods, "p-tc-ig" which as you know with devaluations makes imports more expensive but with out high "ptcig" what that means we are locked in a increasingly negative formula of no real upside on exports and a wicked downside on imports as we are continually influenced even more by cable and internet, thus unleashing a stronger ptcig, so literally we spend more money/ our productive capacity every year to get a lesser amounts of the same import goods from the previous year or spend more money to get the same amount from the previous year so talk about being licked into a downward never ending spiral, this is it and constant devaluations make it worse, to use one of Willi's phrases in this situation our Corner is indeed dark!! Worse yet our politicians probably don't fully realize that this is the most fundamental problem, that equation must be reversed or somehow neutralized and worse yet neither side does not have the brainpower to move this at all, not even combined.
          Last edited by Stonigut; February 8, 2015, 12:42 PM.

Comment

A Systems Approach...A Solution Focus

Stonigut;508512]Yeah you make some good points there but don't bother think is only in a Jamaica we have these saprophytic type of capitalists that literally want everything wrapped up in a basket and bow tied to come out of their little holes and pretend to be free market experts, they abound in the Us as well in a system I would call welfare capitalism, they won't play unless they are guaranteed certain deals and I am talking about public or semi public money then they talk about competition and free markets.
            Yes other places have those types of backward capitalists....US included.
            However countries like the US develop or attract the intellectual capacity to innovate and actually MAKE products.
            Even if they end up being manufactured elsewhere, the IP and a profit stream goes home.

Countries like JA don't develop IP or even have a basic appreciation of the extreme importance of science applications

This is why we start and promote our STEM initiatives as much as possible... Trying to spark a culture of appreciation for science

On the devaluation issue the real deal is we devalue theoretically so you can gain a short term advantage in export markets and push you foot further into the door and if you can source locally and there is room for supply source expansion then devaluation is a wickedly great tool, unfortunately for us we cannot take advantage on the export side due to supply limitations and the worse part is the import side where we have a locked in propensity to consume exotic and not so exotic import goods, "p-tc-ig" which as you know with devaluations makes imports more expensive but with out high "ptcig" what that means we are locked in a increasingly negative formula of no real upside on exports and a wicked downside on imports as we are continually influenced even more by cable and internet, thus unleashing a stronger ptcig, so literally we spend more money/ our productive capacity every year to get a lesser amounts of the same import goods from the previous year or spend more money to get the same amount from the previous year so talk about being licked into a downward never ending spiral, this is it and constant devaluations make it worse,
            Phew!!... mi affi tek ah break yahsuh Stoni. Yuh mek man life difficult wid dem long sentence yah an' zero paragraphing

to use one of Willi's phrases in this situation our Corner is indeed dark!! Worse yet our politicians probably don't fully realize that this is the most fundamental problem, that equation must be reversed or somehow neutralized and worse yet neither side does not have the brainpower to move this at all, not even combined.
            I agree with your thesis that JA is caught in an interlocking series of traps.. HIGH DEBT...LOW PRODUCTIVITY...NO INNOVATION...CAPITAL DEFICIT..CURRENCY INSTABILITY = OUR UNCOMPETITIVE ECONOMY

Apart from the IMF type stipulations for debt repayment, austerity programs etc... JA has to do more of OUR OWN DEVELOPMENT AGENDA.

A big part of that is education reform and a real focus on STEM apps to drive business innovation & capacity to DESIGN & MAKE PRODUCTS. Countries that do this will win in the 21st century. Countries that don't ...will look like JA or MUCH WORSE.

Unfortunately very few realize this and even fewer ACT on an agenda to change this horrible picture

As to dat "corna dark" sitten...I'm an optimist. Why?

The country is maturing. There is increased emphasis on accountability via civil society, less violent crime (although too high!) more national cooperation through the Social Partnership Agreement...and green shoots sprouting in the economy.

This is getting closer to being a virtuous circle we haven't seen in 50 years...This can occur IF we double down and consolidate the gains... Then use them as a springboard

We've made ALL the mistakes possible to make...and hit rock bottom.

Up is the only way to go now
            Last edited by Don1; February 8, 2015, 01:42 PM.
            TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
              Yes other places have those types of backward capitalists....US included.
              However countries like the US develop or attract the intellectual capacity to innovate and actually MAKE products.
              Even if they end up being manufactured elsewhere, the IP and a profit stream goes home.

Countries like JA don't develop IP or even have a basic appreciation of the extreme importance of science applications

This is why we start and promote our STEM initiatives as much as possible... Trying to spark a culture of appreciation for science

Phew!!... mi affi tek ah break yahsuh Stoni. Yuh mek man life difficult wid dem long sentence yah an' zero paragraphing

I agree with your thesis that JA is caught in an interlocking series of traps.. HIGH DEBT...LOW PRODUCTIVITY...NO INNOVATION...CAPITAL DEFICIT..CURRENCY INSTABILITY = OUR UNCOMPETITIVE ECONOMY

Apart from the IMF type stipulations for debt repayment, austerity programs etc... JA has to do more of OUR OWN DEVELOPMENT AGENDA.

A big part of that is education reform and a real focus on STEM apps to drive business innovation & capacity to DESIGN & MAKE PRODUCTS. Countries that do this will win in the 21st century. Countries that don't ...will look like JA or MUCH WORSE.

Unfortunately very few realize this and even fewer ACT on an agenda to change this horrible picture

As to dat "corna dark" sitten...I'm an optimist. Why?

The country is maturing. There is increased emphasis on accountability via civil society, less violent crime (although too high!) more national cooperation through the Social Partnership Agreement...and green shoots sprouting in the economy.

This is getting closer to being a virtuous circle we haven't seen in 50 years...This can occur IF we double down and consolidate the gains... Then use them as a springboard

We've made ALL the mistakes possible to make...and hit rock bottom.

Up is the only way to go now
              But don't wi run fast?!?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                But don't wi run fast?!?

Yep. Nutten wrang wid dat
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

He had too much demand which tempted him to invest in extra capacity when he got fin-sacked. Demand was coming from Latin America.

As to thinking is a feel good story, exporting seafood, how much better would the transformer guy's story be, exporting big iron (techy stuff) that dont depend on fargile fish stocks. Nah man, that is brain power like the Japanese.

Comment

Yeah, but if it gets noticeable, the head gets chopped off. So if you want to get techhnical its not dead, just under extreme pressure and not allowed to thrive.

Comment

Butch money tall...no regular investor would be able to pull this off...the processing plant is couple US million alone...

Comment

Real talk Stoni. Totally agree with you on this.
                        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

which local material?

Comment

Some of the fish locally produced, nuh so?
                            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

not as far as i know...imported...processed locally...then exported...

Comment

Never want go dere, cause yuh woulda hear say mi badmind and mi racist and...

You now, we done know yuh badmind, and people like you can't be racist!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Working...
                                X