No announcement yet.

Where did your school rank? Must

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I dont joke when I saw we need a Ministry of MALE affairs!

It is not the trad vs non-trad that is the problem, its the NON-Trad. Nothing was ever done to really set them on the right path. Changing names dont mean anything.

We fail di yute. Especially the so-called leaders.

Mi glad seh my skool hole dem corner and just do wi thing quietly.

Since unno a try find the common thread among the high performers, try this categorizating. Catholic skools are the best followed by the Anglican skools. The rest are either insignificant (too few/one off) or low ranked.

The guvvment Lay skools are the WORST.

Comment

Karrek Mo.

Maybe the granular is better for real analysis and formulation of policy, but the ranking in either survey is largely the same.

Comment

Maybe things changed, but in my day StGC never had mock exams and everyone was expected to take exams and there was even a fund to help out needy students with exam fees.

In the time of the priests, they were most concerned about the welfare of the student and didnt give too much concern for rankings. Indeed, its stupid for trad skools to care about rankings, as they are always going to be attractve. They need to care about the development of the student body as successful students is their best legacy. Take care of the pennies and the pounds take care of themselves.

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          Dem coulda granular till dem need shaker, what in these reports would suggest that a Charlie Smith is really outperforming a Hampton, if we only take our time to sift through the grains?
          Simplistic

One cannot use flawed studies to a rank anything... especially something as important as education.

Just consider how ridiculous the FIFA ranking often is
          TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Flawed for what is the question.

For policies and the way fwd, perhaps, BUT for knowing who get the best absolute results now regardless of circumstances its not flawed and ideed if they do the data collection well, it would be a very accurate reflection of absolute standing.

May be useless for Guvvament, but very useful for parent with a child looking to enter HS now. Not sufficient, but really necesary info. improvent path and transformation rate is also very important to know.

Comment

It does introduce a new perspective which is drawing parallels between football and education,are primary schools' worthy footballers assigned to traditional schools by a hidden technocrat in the ministry of Ed or is it a comprehensive high school programme that produces favaourable results?
              Last edited by Rockman; February 6, 2015, 09:12 PM.

Comment

The problem with this is that the study is merely indicative. Since the methodology is fundamentally flawed it CANNOT "be a very accurate reflection of absolute standing".

Schools have very different practices in the number & timing of students in the eligible cohort taking and also RETAKING exams even if they passed the 1st time around. The study does not correct for those variables in any way.

So in many cases it's apples vs oranges

So its use as a so called "school ranking" is unsupportable by data science. It would be useful to indicate imho where there MAY be problems for follow up.

That a basic rule of statistical analysis. As a numbers man you know that.
                Last edited by Don1; February 6, 2015, 09:10 PM.
                TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Second if you must know! Yours?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Pull rank!

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                      Second if you must know! Yours?
                      Start to wonder if this list is valid. I'm nuh see my school. I saw that it existed last year and I am not aware that the name was changed.
                      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

It was valid last year because you saw your school? I saw my school last year too...

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
                          It was valid last year because you saw your school? I saw my school last year too...
                          The noble institution on the hill is ranked at 23.
                          "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
                          X