X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian this is how you use horns in Modern music

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i1Jp-V4jalI

Big up Dean Fraser
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

I liked the original version more, but this one is getting more attention so good for him.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Wonderful Post, Boss!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      I honestly love this production! I just played your link, and I love the overall quality of everything. I have never heard this song before, but this guy sounds very much like Ne-Yo; in fact, at first I thought that it was Ne-Yo singing

The question I have, however, is this: That is a trumpet playing, and NOT a saxophone. You mentioned Dean Fraser; are you saying that Dean now plays the trumpet as well?

I enjoyed this recording, even more than those of my current favorite, the Canadian group, Magic!

Comment

bwoy you ears good. Here is the original
        https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=coGzW_kNLWc

They gave Dean credit but maybe Nambo too .
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

So what was wrong with the original? Dis ting yah water down!

KMT!

OMI needs a new hit song. The remix ting can go so far and no more.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I posted the orginal and it is good. I am just impress with the horns section because most songs nowadays just use the keepboard to substitute the horns but this one made excellent use of the horns section.

The song itself is very good, and I like both versions.

Comment

I Agree

I posted the orginal and it is good. I am just impress with the horns section because most songs nowadays just use the keepboard to substitute the horns but this one made excellent use of the horns section.

The song itself is very good, and I like both versions.
              I fully agree with everything you have said in this quote.

Comment

That's why I like me some Bitty McLean chune.

Listen dis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpFPt1i9NI

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yeah man. I heard a Bitty on the local radio station a few weeks ago but I can't remember the name. It was released last year. Yeah man Bitty arrangements have a lot of horns. and instruments. Good youth.

Comment

Enjoyable Post, Mo!

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
                    That's why I like me some Bitty McLean chune.

Listen dis - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=efpFPt1i9NI
                    The fact is that these two guys are very good singers! It’s really impressive stuff in the three YouTube links posted!

Dean Fraser’s saxophone work comes as no surprise. Dean is someone I met, chatted and listened to music with at his home back in the very early 1980s. Back then he was into jazz people like Jaco Pastorious, the group Weather Report, etc. That was around the time (or probably shortly before) his formation of what I regard to this day as Jamaica’s most outstanding band ever, the 809 band.

Ironically, the greatest Jamaican bands that I have encountered, including Dean Fraser’s 809 Band and Stephen Stewart/Cleveland Brownie’s short-lived gospel band, Flight, have never been truly successful in the usual commercial sense of the term!

Dean is a superb saxophone player by any standards! If he was the saxophonist on this Bitty McLean recording, then it simply proves that, without overstating it, he is a genuine world class player!

Comment

Glad You Realize

Now you see why I have consistently attacked the music in today’s dancehall (and hip hop)?!! As I have plainly pointed out repeatedly on this forum, a guy sitting in front of a computer cannot be expected to produce a better horn section than real good horn players!

The same goes for those producers who think that they can get an authentic product by using a talented keyboard player to play horn, guitar, etc. parts! A talented guitarist, bassist, horn player, etc. will almost invariably play more mind-blowing phrases, riffs, etc than a keyboardist can!

Comment

As I told you the DJ and so called radio personnel in Jamaica and South and North East America are to be blamed. They have no interest in playing some of the good music.

Ofcourse I the horns and good instruments. The problem is it can be costly for an independent producer in the digital age as it is hard to make back this money for most of them. The DJs were into riddim driven and was dubbing the same riddim which is all computerized. It is so much easier for a producer who is not so much into the art and want to make him/her money back.

You talk to some of the senior artists and musicians and they tell you it ruff out there

Comment

You Are Correct

As I told you the DJ and so called radio personnel in Jamaica and South and North East America are to be blamed. They have no interest in playing some of the good music.

Ofcourse I the horns and good instruments. The problem is it can be costly for an independent producer in the digital age as it is hard to make back this money for most of them. The DJs were into riddim driven and was dubbing the same riddim which is all computerized. It is so much easier for a producer who is not so much into the art and want to make him/her money back.

You talk to some of the senior artists and musicians and they tell you it ruff out there
                          You are actually absolutely correct in your statements here. Very good points, boss.

Comment

Working...
                          X