No announcement yet.

Forumites active in Alumni associations around the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

In the case of this person it was a yearly contribution from his salary going through united way. He said if he had to give it, he wanted it to go to his former school. He was setting up a scholarship with the school but as I said he was disappointed.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I have had that problem with Administration over the years! A simple thank you letter works wonders in most cases.

I have resolved to some extent that issue, by identifying students and working directly with them and their parents in instances.
      Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
      - Langston Hughes

Comment

Sass - I could tell you some stories about my experiences
        Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
        - Langston Hughes

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
          I have had that problem with Administration over the years! A simple thank you letter works wonders in most cases.

I have resolved to some extent that issue, by identifying students and working directly with them and their parents in instances.
          I did not want to participate in this thread. But your first sentence touched a spot with me.

I send donations from time to time to my schools in Jamaica AWA other ventures.

I have never received a thank you from any. A letter or email of receipt or thank you does make a difference!

I also contribute to the American Red Cross from time to time. Apart from email confirmation for every donation send, I always receive a letter from their president albeit with a copy of her signature...saying thank you.
          Last edited by HL; January 16, 2015, 06:02 PM.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

In terms of at risk students we have been fortunate to have a guidance counselor who is responsive. For other things I have decided to work directly with a few Heads of Dept that I have developed a relationship with because they know what they need and I know their track record.
            "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post

Thank you letter from the school? What is that? We gave up on that!

Here are some communication tips when dealing with the school;

1) Tell them that the next check will not be mailed until the last school report of the child is received. If you don't get it then don't send the check and don't back down.

2) If it is a project and you don't get the 'before photos' then don't send the check. Insist on getting the after photos. If you don't get it then keep adding more 'people to the e-mail until you get it.

3) If project A manager don't send you the after photo and project B manger wants a donation. Tell Project B to go and take project A photos otherwise no check.

To be fair to the Wolmer's trust, they are wiser, they will give reports and photos without asking. For example, Wolmer's trust building a new auditorium and they sending and posting photos on facebook, giving tours twice per week plus sending management reports.
              The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Some very good advice here Time. Schools are notorious for taking money donated for one project and using it for something else. In fact they often see nothing wrong with it!

I remember a few years ago when I was involved in donating some laptops to the school library. When I went to the school to deliver them the then acting principal said to me "Thanks, but we will give them to Dept x because they need it more". LOL! The librarian had to insist that the library needed them too and she solicited them so they belong to the library. And that was equipment. When money is given, it can be even harder to enforce.
                "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                  I think UJAA use to have a huge raffle and tickets were sold by other Jamaican organizations.
                  Still does! ...and we (The RBSC MASSIVE...including you) participated once.
                  "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

My other organization I was in in NY use to support them too. Been a while, wasn't sure they still did it.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Still going strong. Get my NY Mannings Chapter report every year.
                      "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I have been tasked with increasing membership and that includes keeping current well-wishers engaged and satisfied.

Comment

Working...
                        X