No announcement yet.

Forumites active in Alumni associations around the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just can't take the drama MdmeX, and the long talking with no action.

One person just cuss me out because I arranged for a group to go to the school for a career panel discussion. Says they were planning one in September (next school year!) and me tief dem idea, lol. Of course the person has not visited the school or been involved in any school project in over 20 years so they have no idea how many times I have participated in or organized presentations of one form or the other. Ah boy.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
      Dem woulda fit in pan di site nice....who kick off mi face pan a site..lol
      Yuhseeit... di Rum Bar run like nuff voluntary organizations wich part face get kick off regula..

Woooiiieee mi Tims!!!!!!
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Wolmer's boys have specialize semi independent sports groups headed by Managers. There is a 'football group' and 'track and field group' that operate with the permission of the WOBA in Kingston (and using the WOBA name.) There is also a 'cadet group' and a US based cricket group. These groups work directly with the principal and main alumni groups (they ask us for funding) and they also do their own fund raising. They have separate bank accounts in order to ensure that the funds are only spent on the sport for which it was donated.
        Last edited by Time; January 15, 2015, 05:53 PM.
        The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Occasionally we see small 'class of year YYYY groups' and other bunch of friends want to do a project for the school (buy a piece of equipment etc) but are struggling. We will help them to raise funds or we will make up the difference. Sometimes we end up footing most of the bill but they get the credit and the schools get the goods
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

Here are two 'associations of alumni organizations' that you can use as a resource. UJAA is New York based but they can help your organization anywhere in the US to raise funds. UJAA also works with basic schools in Jamaica and non alumni fund raising such as 'friends of Port Maria.'

http://ujaausa.org/

http://www.jaasf.info/

Comment

Thanks Time, I was aware of the NY one but didn't know of the Florida one. Interestingly it has Morant Bay High listed even though the FL organization has been dead for years.

I can imagine that these organizations are probably even more political than the school-based ones though.

You know the notorious Jamaican question: "So which high school you went to?"
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I think UJAA use to have a huge raffle and tickets were sold by other Jamaican organizations.
                • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

You a good youth. The dirtyness and ego keep away a lot of people. Do your thing but watch out fi the the jealous people.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    I think UJAA use to have a huge raffle and tickets were sold by other Jamaican organizations.
                    They still do. It is their biggest source of income and also the biggest source of income for most of the alumni organizations.

Comment

Originally posted by Time View Post
                      They still do. It is their biggest source of income and also the biggest source of income for most of the alumni organizations.
                      Wi used to do that but... wi find out seh Bad Man nuh love sell raffle tikkit
                      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Hi Tilla! Mannings!

It has been noised about that the Chapters remain and kept their autonomy...but there are 'specially identified projects' where coordinated effort is planned. ...and (hopefully) shall be executed!!! There is strength in U - N - I - T -Y!
                        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Just do your thing and forget about the losers.

There is a sorry arse category of past students, who neither have time or a dime to give! And they are the ones who sit and criticize and will dictate how you should do what you are doing.
                          Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                          - Langston Hughes

Comment

Absolutely.

Comment

On the subject of Mannings, I have a friend who made some contribution and was intending on doing more. He was disappointed by the support he got from the admin. It was not a huge amount but it was going to be constant but my friend was disappointed. He is also an old boy.

Comment

A lot of schools really do not have process to deal with alumni contributions/support and in the absence of that it can take time and work, and many people just don't have the patience for it.

The flip side of that is that people often promise the schools things and then don't deliver, and so the admin doesn't always give people who offer to contribute the attention they should get.

Comment

Working...
                                X