Forumites active in Alumni associations around the

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forumites active in Alumni associations around the

world, how are your chapters organized, if there is any organization at all?

Most of Jamaicas so-called traditional high schools now have mulitple groups located primarily in the cities with high Jamaican populations. Is there much co-ordination between the groups in terms of their focus area, fundraising, etc? Does the JA-based chapter have a special role to play or is it just another chapter and all groups approach the school independently?

I am sure it varies by school, just trying to get some ideas on how the schools that have more developed and more powerful alumni organizations have approached this.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Originally posted by Islandman View Post

Most of Jamaicas so-called traditional high schools now have mulitple groups located primarily in the cities with high Jamaican populations. Is there much co-ordination between the groups in terms of their focus area, fundraising, etc? Does the JA-based chapter have a special role to play or is it just another chapter and all groups approach the school independently?

I am sure it varies by school, just trying to get some ideas on how the schools that have more developed and more powerful alumni organizations have approached this.
    JC ...

We have a vibrant Alumni Assn in JA

But it is the Foundation that is the real driver re project development & fundraising...working closely with JCOBA, JC Trust and the school of course

Then they're active chapters of JCOBA in NY, Florida & Canada ...which are 100% independent but respond to appeals for project support from the school directly, JCOBA-JA and the Foundation

The Chapters also have their own projects and tend to specialize in whatever they're interested in.
    In NY we're a 501(c) 3 tax exempt organization....and we support the 15-20 member Penn Relays team annually (X24 years) with accommodation & subsistence, ~15 member Robotics teams similarly with sometimes multiple trips...and we donate computers, IT peripherals and sports equipment (largely we get this donated by private corporations which get tax benefits)

There's some coordination among the groups but it's informal...not structured or directed by anyone
    Last edited by Don1; January 15, 2015, 02:27 PM.
    TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Very useful information, thanks Don1.

In our case there are also multiple independent chapters which at times work jointly on projects but at other times there is tension between them. Some have better relationships with the school than others, that kind of thing.

We don't have a foundation and so the JA Assn often assumes the coordinating role, but I think there is some need for a more official lead organization particularly when attempting major projects like new buildings, major infrastructure upgrades, etc.

Another challenge is that the school does not have a designated point of contact for the alumni bodies so it tends to be who can get the attention of the principal, bursar, board chairman, etc. Then there is the usual politics which these organizations always have which comes to the surface from time to time.

Anyway, we will have to see how it goes. Up to this point I have been more of a roving alum, working with different chapters on different projects, but i feel I am going to get pulled into an executive role soon, with the relaunch of a FL chapter.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

OK... I think it is very useful to have one powerful person who is able to say yes or no to different projects based on value alone... discounting any emotionalism. We have been fortunate to have such a person for ~10 years and have achieved amazing things. But this is unusual.... Personality issues often frustrate voluntary organizations as you know

So the main task is developing an organizational system which works. A professionally organized foundation in JA would be HUGE. That structure is much better at project development & execution than the traditional type alumni associations.

Plus if your FL group is not yet IRS tax exempt...get that done asap. Any half dead accountant can do it. I did our years ago and I'm no accountant

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Wolmer's has two main alumni organization in Jamaica (Wolmer's Old Boy and Wolmer's Girls Alumni) and three main co-ed overseas alumni (New York, South Florida and Toronto.) The Wolmer's Trust initiates the big projects and request the assistance of the alumni. The Principals request assistance on smaller projects.

The three US alumni share information but each operate independently. Each Alumni awards scholarships or grants for students in need of assistance and all donate 'unrestricted cash', those are definitely common factors. New York finances visiting Penn Relays and United Nations teams, South Florida finances Florida bound teams (Miami Classics?) New York also has a 'deep interest' in the science labs, computers and the co-ed cadet unit will donate specifically to these areas.
          The same type of thinking that created a problem cannot be used to solve the problem.

Comment

yeah Titchfield have NY, Florida and Toronto as well. Every year NY and Florida have functions in their location and honor pass students and teachers.
            They raise money etc.

A few years ago a sport foundation was formed in NY and had their separate function, but some infighting and badmind cause it to be dormant right now.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I believe the Foundation is the way to go. It has come up in conversation but no action has taken to the best of my knowledge.

Personality issues often frustrate voluntary organizations as you know
              LOL, indeed. I now realise that voluntatry organizations are often more difficult to run well than non-voluntary ones.

Also this may be less of an issue in an all-boys school alumni group, but I am constantly surprised by how many people still have baggage from school days that they bring to these groups. Who never talk to me a school, who never get invited to Key Club, who use to drive dem car past me pon road but now me have 4 cyar so mek dem gwey, lol.

if your FL group is not yet IRS tax exempt...get that done asap.
              Yes the 501(c) is going to happen. We have a small fundraising effort going on before it is in place but it is being done in association with and in aid of one the established chapters scholarship fund.

Comment

Thanks Time, much respect. The co-ed groups make sense for Wolmers.

Comment

LOL. I heard that was what happened to the original Florida Morant Bay alumni that we had. Nuff time me prefer to just go solo and do my thing but a certain level of project you just cannot do by yourself unless you name Butch or somebody like that.

Comment

Part of the problem is some of the elders don't listen to no idea the youngsters have and youngsters nuh have the patience.

The sport foundation started good and had a good function but some man who claim say them can do better and a "bad man" just mess up the thing. You know how it go.
                    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL, indeed. I now realise that voluntatry organizations are often more difficult to run well than non-voluntary ones.

Also this may be less of an issue in an all-boys school alumni group, but I am constantly surprised by how many people still have baggage from school days that they bring to these groups. Who never talk to me a school, who never get invited to Key Club, who use to drive dem car past me pon road but now me have 4 cyar so mek dem gwey, lol.

Mi clavicle!!

Comment

Dem woulda fit in pan di site nice....who kick off mi face pan a site..lol
                        THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

lol

Comment

LOL. I heard that was what happened to the original Florida Morant Bay alumni that we had. Nuff time me prefer to just go solo and do my thing but a certain level of project you just cannot do by yourself unless you name Butch or somebody like that.
                            Islandman -- same problem this sis facing! I have a small band of old faithfuls, but it limits the projects we can tackle. Until I win the lottery, a just so!
                            Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                            - Langston Hughes

Comment

I am constantly surprised by how many people still have baggage from school days that they bring to these groups. Who never talk to me a school, who never get invited to Key Club, who use to drive dem car past me pon road but now me have 4 cyar so mek dem gwey, lol.

Same so it goes, and on and on it spins. This is what I tell them, don't do it for me, do it for your alma mater!!
                              Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
                              - Langston Hughes

Comment

Working...
                              X