No announcement yet.

For Real Fans of J’can Music: 5 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That "Sinner" song is excellent. My father had a compilation album that I remember as my favorite growing up. That album had Sinner by Ft Ho Lung, Ramgoat Liver by Pluto, Duppy Gunman by Ernie Smith, I've Got to Go Back Home by Bob Andy, Sweet Bitter Love by Marcia Griffiths among others. To this day when I hear those songs I picture that album.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

You Are Welcome, HL !

Thank you, HL my friend. I appreciate your comments!

I didn’t go into much detail, but the Canadian singer on “Sinner,” Danny Harrison, was married to a Jamaican and lived in Jamaica at the time. I’m not sure of his status now, as I haven’t heard anything about him since those days.

I remember all those singers you mentioned. In those days Federal Studios was producing hits by people like Ernie Smith, Pluto Shervington, Toots & the Maytals, Hopeton Lewis, Ernie Ranglin, the Techniques, and countless others.

Dynamic Sounds was equally important during those formative years of Jamaican music and long after. By the way, since you mentioned her, I think the blind gospel singer Adina Edwards recorded her popular numbers at Dynamic Studios.

Originally posted by HL View Post
      Thank you very much Historian for stirring a memory that was lost for me in time.

I played Fr. Ho Lung' s song several times. I was living in Jamaica when that song played on the radio. The quality, simplicity and talent that went into that song has made it a classic.

Ernie Smith's Life is Just for Living is of the same quality standard. I recall his song won an award in Japan.

You quiz brought back memories of Adina Edward, Joe Higgs, Vic Taylor and others.

Cheers Historical One, hope one day I meet you in person. The first beer is on me

Comment

Thanks, Karl !

Originally posted by Karl View Post
        Thanks!
        Good post! Good going! Enjoyed the post and threads.
        Again...THANKS!
        Thank you very much, Karl my friend! I appreciate your kind words.

Comment

Working...
        X