For Real Fans of J’can Music: 5 Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Real Fans of J’can Music: 5 Questions

1. Which well-known reggae singer started out as the lead singer for the very popular 1970s reggae group, Tomorrow’s Children?

2. In the mid 1970s, Father Richard Ho Lung & Friends had a Jamaican Top 10 hit (peaked at Number 3 position on the charts) with the single, “Sinner.”
    Who was the (foreign) lead singer on “Sinner”?

3. One of the most hauntingly beautiful guitar solos in Jamaican music history was the solo on the Wailers’, “It Hurts to Be Alone.”
    Who was the guitarist who played this solo?

4. Toots & the Maytals’ ska record, “Never You Change” (released in 1965) is marked by a beautiful, very lyrical guitar solo. Who was the lead guitarist who played this brilliant solo?

5. The year 1985 was a turning point in the history of dancehall as the unveiling of Wayne Smith’s smash hit, “Under Me Sleng Teng” in that year effectively signaled the start of digital music in Jamaica. Question: Which two sound systems were clashing on the night the secret weapon, “Under Me Sleng Teng,” was introduced?

I don't the answer to any of your questions but I look forward to the answers.
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I oh know the answer to #3 so I guess I am not a real fan of Jamaican music. Ernie Ranglin

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

I should know them all...but I do not!
        Guess Alzheimer setting in...

Just tell?
        Pleeeeeeeeease?
        "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

You Got Number 3!

Originally posted by Gamma View Post
          I oh know the answer to #3 so I guess I am not a real fan of Jamaican music. Ernie Ranglin
          Gamma, Your answer to Question #3 is correct!

Yes, the answer is indeed the legendary Ernie Ranglin who played that solo.

By the way, the late Junior Braithhwaite, the youngest member of the group, was the lead singer on the Wailers’ “It Hurts To Be Alone.” (He was murdered in Kingston in 1999 while in the island visiting.)

Gamma, I have nothing but the greatest respect for your knowledge of music! There are very few people I know who have the depth of knowledge of various genres of music as you seem to have. The fact is that the five questions I asked are very difficult.

Comment

Right of the head I know Sleng thing was unleashed by King Jammy's to kill Black Scorpio in one of their many sound clashes. I have to hear some of these tunes to make an educated guess on some. I know Ken Lazarus was with Tomorrow Children at some stage.

Is it Ernie Ranglin also playing the guitar on that too (Educated guess)?
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

5)It was Jammy label so it probably is King Jammy's,can't figure out the other sound though.

Comment

#1, I would say Leighton "Pluto" Shervington
                "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

I also think Pluto was with that group too.
                  • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Respect, Boss!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                    Right of the head I know Sleng thing was unleashed by King Jammy's to kill Black Scorpio in one of their many sound clashes. I have to hear some of these tunes to make an educated guess on some. I know Ken Lazarus was with Tomorrow Children at some stage.

Is it Ernie Ranglin also playing the guitar on that too (Educated guess)?
                    ‘Sass, you Got Number 5 correct! Yes, it was indeed King Jammy vs. Black Scorpio in that memorable 1985 clash.

King Jammy shocked everyone, and most of all Black Scorpio (lol) with “Sleng Teng”! Interestingly, all the sounds -- keyboard, bass and drums -- on that massive, revolutionary hit were played on a simple Casio keyboard.

I also have to give you respect for identifying Ken Lazarus although, I must confess, I completely forgot that at one point he was with Tomorrow’s Children. However, Ken did not start out with Tomorrow’s Children; he was with Byron Lee & the Dragonaires from back in the days of ska (remember “Soul Ska” and other BL&D ska hits?).

So, I’m still looking out for the most correct lead singer for Question #1.

No, Ernie Ranglin did not perform on any of the songs on that 1965 album by Toots & the Maytals. Interestingly, Ken Lazarus was one of the two guitarists on “Never You Change.” However, who was the other guitarist (the soloist)? (Hint: he is still around today.)

Comment

You Got It!

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                      #1, I would say Leighton "Pluto" Shervington
                      Tilla, you got Number 1 correct, boss!

Yes, it was indeed Pluto Shervington who started out as a lead singer with Tomorrow’s Children!!

Comment

Pinkney?

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

The Answers!

1. Pluto Shervington.

2. Danny Harrison, a Canadian who lived in Jamaica, is the voice heard on Father Richard Ho Lung & Friends’ hit, “Sinner.”

3. Ernie Ranglin played the solo on “It Hurts To Be Alone.”

4. Rupert Bent, Sr. played the solo on Toots & the Maytals’ hit, “Never You Change.” (Bent, Sr. much later married former Miss World winner Cindy Breakspeare.)
                          (Note: the other guitarist on that 1965 Maytals album was Ken Lazarus.)

5. King Jammy vs. Black Scorpio

Originally posted by Historian View Post
                          1. Which well-known reggae singer started out as the lead singer for the very popular 1970s reggae group, Tomorrow’s Children?

2. In the mid 1970s, Father Richard Ho Lung & Friends had a Jamaican Top 10 hit (peaked at Number 3 position on the charts) with the single, “Sinner.”
                          Who was the (foreign) lead singer on “Sinner”?

3. One of the most hauntingly beautiful guitar solos in Jamaican music history was the solo on the Wailers’, “It Hurts to Be Alone.”
                          Who was the guitarist who played this solo?

4. Toots & the Maytals’ ska record, “Never You Change” (released in 1965) is marked by a beautiful, very lyrical guitar solo. Who was the lead guitarist who played this brilliant solo?

5. The year 1985 was a turning point in the history of dancehall as the unveiling of Wayne Smith’s smash hit, “Under Me Sleng Teng” in that year effectively signaled the start of digital music in Jamaica. Question: Which two sound systems were clashing on the night the secret weapon, “Under Me Sleng Teng,” was introduced?

Comment

Thank you very much Historian for stirring a memory that was lost for me in time.

I played Fr. Ho Lung' s song several times. I was living in Jamaica when that song played on the radio. The quality, simplicity and talent that went into that song has made it a classic.

Ernie Smith's Life is Just for Living is of the same quality standard. I recall his song won an award in Japan.

You quiz brought back memories of Adina Edward, Joe Higgs, Vic Taylor and others.

Cheers Historical One, hope one day I meet you in person. The first beer is on me
                            The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Thanks!
                              Good post! Good going! Enjoyed the post and threads.
                              Again...THANKS!
                              "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
                              X