For Historian ONLY:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For Historian ONLY:

First: Historian many thanks (again)for your thoughts on Oscar Peterson.

Purchased Oscar Peterson Plays the Cole Porter Songbook. This album features Ray Brown. Also, Oscar Peterson playing the George Gershwin Playbook. Currently reviewing his entire repertoire .

I have never been to a Sting Concert. I would flatly refuse VIP tickets if they were offered to me.

Jamaica has lost it's way in music.

Last week I think you posted a song by the White groupthat has the million $$$ seller song call]Rude[/I]. The song is simple &clean. The song you posted along with Rude,will become Reggae Classics. They will transcend time in their listening appeal. Last time I looked, the song Rude has over 135 MILLION hits on YouTube.

the truth is I am embarrassed by the incoherent gibberish that is called Jamaican reggae. Other folks have taken our musical art-form and have presented it to the would in a palatable way.

The people who take to the stage to do this kind of music are not talented. They are illiterate and ignorant. I hope this is an opportunity to ban this waste of electrical energy--that could be used in a more productive way.
    Last edited by HL; December 28, 2014, 06:06 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

No comment.
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Tilla, it appears HL and Historian are having problems with the Private Messaging feature of the Forum. Try sort it out fi dem fi wi nuh plz. None of us want to be reading their personal exchanges on the public forum.

Thanks, Tilla!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
        Last week I think you posted a song by the White groupthat has the million $$$ seller song call]Rude[/I]. The song is simple &clean. The song you posted along with Rude,will become Reggae Classics. They will transcend time in their listening appeal. Last time I looked, the song Rude has over 135 MILLION hits on YouTube.
        I know yuh not talking to me but the person who first posted the song Rude was Jangle, followed by Mosiah about 30 minutes later. Or something like that. But Jangle deserves to get the credit. War almost bruk ova dis couple months back!

Mi gone again. Carry on, HL and Historian!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
          I know yuh not talking to me but the person who first posted the song Rude was Jangle, followed by Mosiah about 30 minutes later. Or something like that. But Jangle deserves to get the credit. War almost bruk ova dis couple months back!

Mi gone again. Carry on, HL and Historian!
          You are absolutely right about the introduction of Rude to this forum. You should get credit too.

Is there another reggae chune that has as much hits on YouTube as this song?

HL

Comment

Originally posted by X View Post
            No comment.
            'Appy New 'Ear X !!

(See, iz Tong mi come fram enuh)

HL

Comment

A Letter Worth Reading!

Originally posted by HL View Post
              I have never been to a Sting Concert. I would flatly refuse VIP tickets if they were offered to me.

Jamaica has lost it's way in music.
              HL, I had said in the previous thread that I wouldn’t respond to any post other than yours. However, Assasin summed up the situation so perfectly that I have to publicly agree with him here! ‘Sass made a great deal of sense in the post he made (towards the bottom of that thread)!!

Now, HL, just as horrible as what often passes for our music today is the fact that individuals on this forum express utterly amazing views such as “Sting was streamlined live this year, as I believe it was in years past. How many Jamaican events are streamed live?” How on earth can one be satisfied or happy with a national disgrace being streamed live around the world?

Then, reference is ALWAYS made to Bob Marley and rastas not being embraced at first by Jamaicans! So, are we suggesting that the cursing and threats and violence at events like Sting should be/ will be embraced later in the same way that the often maligned early reggae singers were?

But let me post a portion of an excellent letter. This letter by Richard Blackford is quite balanced, and I encourage everyone here to read it.

Source of extract below: The Sunday Observer, December 28, 2014
              Link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...cehall-culture

ONLINE READERS COMMENT: Mayhem at Sting part of Dancehall culture

Sunday, December 28, 2014 | 2:01 PM

To the sponsors of Sting I have to pose the question of what vision do they have of Jamaica, and whither the image of the brands they present to the Jamaican public?

The images of Jamaicans fleeing for cover at a stage show is decadent and demeaning of what we offer as entertainment. Such a fare will find no market beyond Jamaican shores and is certainly an insult to the work and memories of Robert Nesta Marley, John Holt, Dennis Brown and the legions of others who have paved the way for Jamaican music and entertainment.

Equally, this farce plays into the violence culture for which we have become known worldwide and I daresay that this does none of us any good, least of all the young and impressionable in our population.

Comment

Seeing that H.L hailed me up , I take it he opened the door for a response from me so I will......Food for thought , during the heydays of Jamaican music, 60- and 70s before the promotion of slackness , our industry was driven by men and women with not even in most cases a basic education, most came out of a reform school i.e Alpha.Today we have men and women who have High school and college education running the industry and what we have is the promotion of filth.Alkaline (Ardenne) Vybx ( Cbar).Alkaline is a very articulate youth, even went to UWI I believe for a min.

I am not into banning Ghetto people music, it can do without badwords curse words.The authorities can curb it easily by fining artist their appearance fees for such events like Sting, instead of charging them frivilous fines, all it takes is for MPs to make said motion in parliament the law , fine the promoters said fees also , and you see how quick the bad word cussing stop.Put it into law.This lock up man fi badword and 50 us dollar bail, is foolishness if dem police feel like it.

Creativity will blossom again.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

What's the matter with bad words? Some of us act like we don't use it until people like Mosiah **** them off. Research has shown that honest people tend to use profanity more than hypocrites and liars.

And what is badwud fi me and you is everyday expression for the inarticulate majority.

Just saying!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Di amount a P** hole and B..hole , and B...man a stage show is ridiculous.I can deal wid conscious lyrics about Ghetto life, but diss is madness.....man a bawl agwinee kill yuh ..P*** or B*888 Boy ..

Comment

Alpha was really an orphanage more than a reform school.

We cant beat JC with Monty, but we did have a famous classical musician who died in Geneva 2-3 years ago.

In modern times we have VISION:
                      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zSPXQMrB5l8

AMDG.

Comment

Willi yuh a kill mi fi dat ..lol

Comment

Nah man, is a segue to release a nice Georgian chune. LoL

Comment

Nice tune from a High school boy..Pity Ardenne couldnt come with that .

Comment

Nonsense like this ...Police lock down Sting because artist had a violent confrontation.

What about fining them and the promoters appearance and fees on top of that ,of putting John public at risk , to be equal to appaerance fees and rental of venue.

We have the means to clean up ourselves.

"I am disappointed that it has come to this, but things got a bit overheated onstage and the clash was not resolved. So I guess the fans were a bit too over-enthusiastic, but we are urging everybody to just cool down," Kiprich's statement read in part.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...Sting_18152168

This B.S of locking down venue hurts no one ,promoter and artiste done get dem money or part of it,its the Hype for next years B.S .

Comment

Working...
                              X