X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dancehall's Future Is Bright!!

Source: The Jamaica Observer, Saturday, December 27, 2014

Link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...inja-_18146740

Ninjaman, who said he defied doctor's orders to be at the show, acknowledged the promoter and fans.

He then free-styled with Supreme Promotions head Isaiah Laing and media sensation Gully Bops his main topics.

"Laing, gwaan wid yuh pop- dung show, mi neva know sey Laing so bruk an' poor. After Downsound lef', him run go tek up one-teeth madman outa gully fi come war mi," he said, as patrons roared.

Earler this week, Ninjaman announced that he will not perform on Laing's Magnum Sting, due to alleged threats on his life.

What you mean. Ninja run from Gully Bop and a chat. One time Ninja woulda run any bwoy offa stage. LOL!!!

Dancehall inna bad state that fully can come and take over, because he is not really special but a throw back to the late 80s DJ and Ninja man himself. Most of the DJ nowadays simply don't develop their craft. Gully has done his work and can play on words good.

When people talking about his looks, a just the lyrics and timing I am concern about. I also remember when one yellow man came about some people wouldn't chat on the same mic with him but he was the standard bearer in the dance at the time.

Mi sorry fi them when gully get new teeeth
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

I Understand, Sir

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      Dancehall inna bad state that fully can come and take over, because he is not really special but a throw back to the late 80s DJ and Ninja man himself. Most of the DJ nowadays simply don't develop their craft. Gully has done his work and can play on words good.
      You may have noticed that I did not post a single comment when the immensely talented John Holt died. Holt, like Bob Andy and Cornell Campbell and Ken Boothe and Chronixx and Bunny Rugs and Hopeton Lewis and Pat Kelly and Dennis Brown and Delroy Wilson and Cocoa Tea and Tarrus Riley and Half Pint and Sanchez and Gyptian and Richie Stevens and Shabba Ranks and Shacka Demus & Pliers and Beres Hammond and Tony Rebel and Brent Dowe and Toots Hibbert and Ernest Wilson and Peter Scarlett and John Jones and Pluto Shervington and Ernie Smith and Slim Smith and Bunny Wailer and Lieutenant Stitchie and Augustus Pablo and Horace Andy and Peter Morgan and Shinehead and Papa San and Junior Tucker and Roy Shirley and Rudy Mills and Derrick Harriot and Boris Gardiner and Ken Lazarus and scores of others, clearly BELONGED in the music industry!!

These men were all obviously musically gifted in one form or the other, and as a result Jamaica is that much richer because of them!! Thankfully, those named above did not focus primarily on some non-musical manual trade, like many today definitely should actively consider as they (hopefully) exit the music industry. Fck the hurry-come-up morons!

Comment

Correction (Typo)

Correction: “Chaka” Demus

Comment

Historian,how different is Sabba Ranks from Ninja?

Comment

The thing with Ninja and Shabba is that they developed their craft over time.
            Ninja and Captleton use to DJ African love way back in the days. He was under the name uglyman and then Jaro. The thing is they could actually practice on a nightly basis and develop their craft. Ninja like Gully Bop, and Kartel have a real talent to play with words, freestyle and create rhymes.

Shabba on the on the other hand learn his craft under Josie Wales and Daddy roy camp and later ninja was his senior partner. The big difference with Shabba is the he surrounded himself with music people and people who know bout the industry like Mikey Bennett, Babsy Grange, and the managers who are now in Florida(can't remember the name now).

Ninja on the other hand was hype on stage and in real life. Ninja developed a drug problem to add to that. That was one of the reason NJ never develop into and international act at the time in my opinion.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Nice!
              I wasn't looking at their international appeal but primarily what they both accomplished in Jamaica.Back then the tribalism was far less,though confrontations were far more likely(really did not have to wait on a Sting to see a clash).
              Dancehall changed and that is unfortunate,what to expect when freaks are now at the helm.

Comment

Ninja was always belligerent and an instigator too.I remember at one of Jingles sou.d clash at skateland upon arriving,Prof. Nuts asked if "anyone" had called his name,you could tell Ninja was on verge of lying in order to have Nuts be party to the ongoing rivalry..
                Nothing changed when the baton was given to Sean Paul and Shaggy,both have a distinct old reagge flair.No sign of the music taking on different shape until the emergengence of thoe freaks.
                In other words,Ninja has always been Ninja.

Comment

Rocky war use to inna the dance, not as much but it was there. Can't forget when Josey had to drape up Ninja a sound splash and it was classic when Barry G asked hm on the radio. There were fight and oftentimes dances and stage shows had to be be stopped but it wasn't the internet age.

Comment

Fi real boss!
                    Do you think the striking change regarding dancing(back then you and a sistren lock down and unnuh good..)affects the music that is being made?

Comment

The dancehall was mix and you lock down and do cool and deadly and your water pumping etc. But remember you had your horse man scady, shoulder move, body move, later Jump up, etc. Throughout the era you had both, a just which one a run the cut.

Comment

Right again!

Comment

Working...
                        X