Revisiting An Old Subject: Patois in Schools

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by X View Post
    We have mastered the oral aspect of patwa because it isnt formal ,it can never be , because it is an evolving language that is dynamic,born out of slavery , each parish and island has its own, and no doubt a tremendous amount of resources which we dont have would be needed to formalise it and guess what, you would still have a high illiteracy rate in formal patwa.Some would argue it was never meant to be formalized.
    And which language doesn't evolve?!?

Currently there is a new English word created every 98 minutes or about 14.7 words per day.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What is instructive is that this is actually a serious topic..

Clearly wi have nutting bettah fi duh in Jamaica..

A sign of our severe dysfunction in the area of productivity and general irrelevance in the regional supply chain.. (other than being the chief consumer)

Comment

I am all for teaching Patois... once someone shows me a direct foreign exchange earning component..

If foreign students are willing to take courses.. I seh run wid it !

Comment

If foreign students are willing to take courses.. I seh run wid it !
          I would add, if international business entities are willing to do business with us with Patios as the common language, then go ahead.
          "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

If you can find a Bob interview in which he spoke standard english then bring it to my attention.
            That could be a big part of the problem why Bob didn't conquer the US market when he was alive. I am sure if he were alive today, he would see the folly of his ways then.

For example, I recall in the early 90s, Ziggy Marley had the chance to be on the Arsenio Hall Show. He performed quite well, but when he sat down to speak with Arsenio, he would speak in patois. I can remember Arsenio asking Ziggy a question as to his thoughts on a certain issue and Ziggy's response was "Mi nuh tink bout ie". Arsenio and most of the audience I am sure were dumbfounded.

Anyway, fast forward to today. I have seen Ziggy conduct himself in interviews which would make any of us proud. He has matured and obviously realized that his audience is international and not restricted to the 2.5 million Jamaicans on the planet. While patois is a part of our culture and has its place, we have to be cognizant of the fact that to be understood by another party, we have to communicate in a language which they can understand. I think it is pointless trying to push our patois down the throats of people on whom it is lost anyway.
            "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

Tilla,Bob had a HUGE following in the US,his concerts were well attended.
              Forget about doing interviews,perhaps Bob would have done even better if he only used the Queen's English in his songs.
              It is REALLY hard to imagine Bob doing even better,he is still relevant today.
              At some point we have to consder losing the very essence,I love Jamaica apples,I rarely eat US apples.

Comment

We don't have ownership on the word "patois". The Haitians will tell you that they speak Creole, which is "broken" French, whilst the St. Lucians will tell you that they also speak patois which also comes from their French background. A Trini or a Guyanese marking a CXC English test paper from Jamaica, may not understand "wah a gwaan" inserted, in quotation.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

They may not know either those non english words(Italian or Latin)but they have the means to verify.....
                  Last edited by Rockman; December 31, 2014, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Everybody is getting their knickers in a twist. Patois should not REPLACE English but it should be formalized and everything g that goes with it.

Mi live fi si people who used to talk about "dutty rasta bwoy" accept and appreciate Rastafarians

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

Rockman, yuh a yung bud. Even Bob himself admitted that he failed to capture the US market. His shows were well attended? Maybe shows in which he was not the main act.

Bob had ambition to have geoups like the Commodores opening for him, not he other way around.

Comment

Originally posted by Tilla View Post
                        I would add, if international business entities are willing to do business with us with Patios as the common language, then go ahead.
                        Excellent post above...a.w.a this quote Tilla.
                        The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Working...
                        X