For ‘Sass and Mo

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• For ‘Sass and Mo

Gentlemen, despite my arguments in another thread, I am posting the letter by Jamaica’s Minister of Tourism because it supports strongly the position you both presented (‘Sass in particular who presented a detailed discourse but also Mo, albeit in a less detailed discussion). Here is an excerpt from the Minister’s letter, along with the newspaper story link:

My source: The Jamaica Observer, Tuesday, December 23, 2014
    Link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/lates...Cuba-relations

Despite the concerns raised by some, I am convinced that there is no need to be worried about any major fall-out in our tourism sector from this move, when it fully materializes. The fact of the matter is that brand Jamaica is very strong and our destination is already very competitive in the global tourism arena. The reality is that we are already competing with Cuba for visitors from the source markets of Canada, the United Kingdom and Europe. In addition, our sector is doing very well and we boast local hoteliers who have built some of the strongest hotel brands in the world.

Omitted/Ignored by the Minister

Of course, Minister McNeil saw it fit to ignore his administration’s failure to effectively address a very crucial issue.

Story Link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/MoBay-heist

Gunmen rob armoured vehicle in shopping plaza
    Armed robbers wore masks, ballistic vests
    BY MARK CUMMINGS Editor-at-Large Western Bureau cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
    Tuesday, December 23, 2014

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Three masked gunmen pulled off a daring daylight robbery of an armoured vehicle in a busy Montego Bay shopping plaza yesterday morning.

But a gunfight between the bandits and guards employed to Hawkeye Security Limited resulted in two of the robbers and a Hawkeye security guard being shot.

Comment

To be fair, McNeil is doing a decent job, He just need to do more on the marketing side, the security and the social ills is part of government job but there is so much of that he can take to his tourism ministry.

While we can carve our place out we could be doing so much better. Dominican Republic moved from 0 to 6 million a year, and it has impacted Jamaican tourism much, yes we could be getting a bigger piece of the pie but we are still growing despite not as fast.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Originally posted by Historian View Post
        Of course, Minister McNeil saw it fit to ignore his administration’s failure to effectively address a very crucial issue.

Story Link: http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/news/MoBay-heist

Gunmen rob armoured vehicle in shopping plaza
        Armed robbers wore masks, ballistic vests
        BY MARK CUMMINGS Editor-at-Large Western Bureau cummingsm@jamaicaobserver.com
        Tuesday, December 23, 2014

MONTEGO BAY, St James — Three masked gunmen pulled off a daring daylight robbery of an armoured vehicle in a busy Montego Bay shopping plaza yesterday morning.

But a gunfight between the bandits and guards employed to Hawkeye Security Limited resulted in two of the robbers and a Hawkeye security guard being shot.

But this is nothing new. We've had these headlines since the 70s yet tourism numbers have improved every year.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

So, it could be concluded that the minister is deluding himself, like I did.

I still say there are some mystical things about Jamaica that make foreigners want to come here. The smaller islands don't have it as people don't even know if they are actual countries or parishes of Jamaica!

Ever wonder why the Jamaican contestants on the Voice were so popular, even when their talent might be kinda iffy?

Which country is consistently voted to be among the coolest of the planet?

I'm not sure we know how big a tourism destination Jamaica could be. I've long suggested we forget trying to grow our own foo and digging bauxite. We should just go ahead and do tourism 100%!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

What I Am Saying....

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            So, it could be concluded that the minister is deluding himself, like I did.
            Mo, I posted that letter in support of the views that both you and Assasin expressed, views which, when all is said and done, make a great deal of sense.

My concern is with the effects of daring, crazy, violent crime such as that which took place at the plaza in Mobay. These things add up, whether we like it or not, and crime in the inner cities is MUCH LESS impactful on the tourism industry when compared with daytime (or nighttime) gunfights in a major tourist city! Surely you can see that!!

This relative absence of violent crime is one of the medium term strengths of Cuba’s tourism. I say “medium term” because with the eventual opening up of that country to big business, etc. and all that these “modern” things bring, crime will quite likely -- unfortunately -- eventually start to grow in Cuba.

The effects of crime on Jamaica cannot be minimized, and I am sure you have seen report after report of the negative effects of this on investor confidence. We are a country that is currently surviving not because of impressive levels of investment, but largely through IMF assistance and the doors to other multi-lateral lending agencies that accompany an IMF agreement.

Comment

Working...
            X