Anthony Bourdain's Cuba:

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anthony Bourdain's Cuba:

Last night Anthony Bourdain featured Cuba on his program.

Don't know if it was a repeat; but the coincidence of the presidents' announcement makes me wonder.

On another note, Cuba's rate of economic growth (because of this new initiative) will be unprecedented. The reason I think is the ~97% literacy rate.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Originally posted by HL View Post
    On another note, Cuba's rate of economic growth (because of this new initiative) will be unprecedented. The reason I think is the ~97% literacy rate.
    I have already predicted elsewhere on this forum that Cuba will experience strong growth rates once their normalization gets going.

Please do not try and steal the little financial wizardry I have!

Mosiah Diva

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

You know well i would not do that....

But, you can tell from the 'mannerisms' displayed by the Cuban citizenry--that they are an educated and disciplined people.

These two traits are the foundation of positive growth and development.
      The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

Well if only greater emphasis is placed on 'education',all would be well as long as the uneducated farmers provide food which is essential to life.
        Cuba and Venezuela are countries with informed ,committed citizens ,that prevented the grassroot movement from being infiltrated and circumvented by outsiders with ulterior moltives.One is the solution to the other,from who did the aforementioned countries protects its citizens?

Comment

Last night Anthony Bourdain featured Cuba on his program.

Don't know if it was a repeat; but the coincidence of the presidents' announcement makes me wonder.

...and economic activity with complete re-vamping of its service industry - Motor Vehicle, construction sector - real estate and attendant appliance , and equipment inflows, water & sewage retool and upgrades, roads, telecommunications overhaul & upgrade, tourism sector, use of lands for agricultural production and exports, etc., etc. ...as expats join with local and locals on their own create new businesses and expand old businesses.

Boom time for Cuba and external private sector entities that provide supplies and technical know-how.

Aside: Nothing to do with Cuba's potential on growth - I would think as Jamaicans are curious us about the 'what Cuba is all about' nuff-nuff will be taking a look?
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Cuba vs. Caribbean

Not only its 97 percent literacy rate, but also the fact that Cuba has a much more disciplined workforce than most other Caribbean countries, and also that, so far, violent crime is almost non-existent.

In the short to medium term, the biggest income earner -- and the biggest blow to ALL other Caribbean countries -- will be the blossoming of Cuba’s simmering tourism industry. Cuba has what other Caribbean countries such as Jamaica and the Dominican Republic have – sand, sea, beautiful mountains and valleys – but in addition, because of its immense size, there is more to choose from in Cuba. Then there is the much lower cost of living (tourists will get more for their dollar) and highly developed culture industry (much more impressive than Jamaica’s simplistic, dying culture industry). Finally, Cuba has a certain mystique and romantic history (this “romanticized history” is similar in some respects to that of Mexico) that will attract tourists.

To put it bluntly, any eventual opening up of Cuba will spell problems for the rest of the islands.

Comment

Many have being doing that in the last 5-10 years. I know quite a few people who have made the visit.
              "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Don't underestimate that intangibles that have been pulling tourists to Jamaica over the years, despite the crime and all the other negative press. Those intangibles, even as I identify them, include reggae, the swag, the mystique (yes, believe that!) and weed!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

I agree with all of this Historian, EXCEPT that the opening of Cuba by definition means a loss for the rest of the Caribbean. There may well be an initial hit but in the longer run these things are often not zero-sum games.

For example cruise ships visiting Cubas south coast. Hmmm, I wonder what other destination they could stop by on that voyage?

Also, I expect that at least for a while, the kind of tourist visiting Cuba will be somewhat different from your typical all-inclusive, trinket buying, sun-sea-sand prototype. It will probably be a more sophisticated individual, more open to exploration. Jamaica can take advantage of these things, but will we?
                  Last edited by Islandman; December 22, 2014, 12:14 PM.
                  "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Will Cubans want to visit Jamaica?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Well it will mean growth for them but a lot of people getting overly excited as they usually are. It will mean skilled leadership in Cuba and also on our path to take advantage of this. Nothing is automatic.

We have seen this time and time again. Some things have to change in Cuba too. Currently they import 70% of their food lot of other things goods. They have to rebuild a lot of industries to a productive level. They have to have a decent model of tourism that locals will benefit. 10% growth to be sustained have to be more than Tourism and cigars, but again it is possible with leadership.
                      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

“Getting Overly Excited”

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                        Well it will mean growth for them but a lot of people getting overly excited as they usually are. It will mean skilled leadership in Cuba and also on our path to take advantage of this. Nothing is automatic.
                        It’s more than merely “getting overly excited,” boss. The fact is that the Caribbean’s tourism picture has been losing much of its luster. In the case of Jamaica, our island is not as dearly beloved by tourists today as you might think. I am sure, for example, you have seen the survey results, which reflect the high level of “turn-off” due to the often frightening levels of harassment in areas surrounding Jamaica’s cruise ship ports.

Jamaica’s tourism growth over the past year, incidentally, puts it at around fourth place in the region.

Aside from an opening up of Cuba, in spite of what you said the biggest game changer right now is probably in the development of the super-resort, Baha Mar, in the Bahamas. If this project takes off, it will almost certainly provide a challenge to tourism in the Caribbean and Latin American region.

When Mo mentions “the swag, the mystique and the weed” as major pulling points for Jamaica in the second decade of this 21st century, is he deluding himself? The “swag” is now present in other Caribbean countries big-time, and the reggae-rastafarian “mystique” referred to has virtually outlived its impact and maybe has, in fact, become tiresome to the wider world! How much longer will these cliches be major pulling points?

Finally, we Jamaicans have, in many cases, worked overtime to earn what Mo describes as “the other negative press.”

Comment

No Mystique is not gone out of Caribbean tourism. Funny a few months ago I went on a Disney cruise and I must say the service was excellent. Because of this Disney is rising bigtime in the cruise business. Their staff is a worldwide crew with many Jamaicans. Most of the Jamaicans on this ship were HEART Runaway Bay graduates and was trained under my ex-classmate. The fact is most people who go back will do so in part because of the service. People go to sandals because of the same thing and pay the price. These resorts have high level of occupancy.

For the others one of the major factor affecting caribbean tourism is the price of travel to the caribbean. The price from places like England has doubled over the last 6 years. Same thing for many US ports, with the rise of oil prices and taxes and then the price of lodging. For a family of 4 to travel to Jamaica from NY or Atlanta the price is 2000 or more and 1000 for decent lodging. Now imagine you could cut price of travel by 6 hundred dollar and lodging more like 700 for a week?

Many other places are more competitive as people try to live within their means. One of the new trend is AirB&B as people cut the cost of lodging. Jamaican tourism was at its best when small hotels sold themselves assisted by government, now the tourist board ads are missing. We have to do a better job of marketing our product.

Funny about Gatlinburg (since Mosiah interested) this is the kind of tourism that Jamaica needs to study and try building. Most of the tourist who goes there do not go to any big resorts, you simple rent a cottage and enjoy the town and outdoors. The community is very involved and is service oriented.

Oh by the way Bahamas is maybe the worst Port I have seen. It has absolutely nothing, the shopping is poor and overpriced and ben from Jamaica there is nothing but gambling. Ochi and Mobay 10 times better.

Again the price is the big factor. Everytime someone ask me about Jamaica and I can find a package for under 2500 for a family a light bulb go up and you can see the interest. Jamaica have a niche market and all we need to do is sell it and provide top quality service and stop run way the tourist them. How can we have cruise tourism when nearly 50 percent of the visitors think they are harrased?
                          Last edited by Assasin; December 22, 2014, 11:49 PM.
                          • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Good Post!

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
                            Jamaica have a niche market and all we need to do is sell it and provide top quality service and stop run way the tourist them. How can we have cruise tourism when nearly 50 percent of the visitors think they are harrased?
                            Respect for this very good post, ‘Sass. It was quite informative and reflects your connections with tourism in Jamaica. By the way, your point about the Bahamas as having “maybe the worst port” you “have ever seen” is shared by MANY cruise ship passengers, as I have seen reviews online where similar sentiments have been expressed.

I will add in ending that this problem of visitor harassment in Jamaica is a really serious matter. And no, tourists do not merely “think” they are being harassed; they ARE in fact being harassed by desperate and over-zealous sellers and touts! Many tourists are not used to the levels of aggressiveness displayed by sellers in Jamaica, and so they often find it very frightening (we Jamaicans, on the other hand, are used to that and so the effect on us is radically different).

Harassment, like crime, is apparently been swept under the carpet in Jamaica.

Comment

I also have to add our point of training tourism workers. I spoke to the Jamaicans on the Disney cruise and they said they are worked hard. 6 days a week for 6 months but they make out very well. Imagine a maid working 10 rooms for 4 days or 6 days. They get 20 dollars tip from each room as Disney ask or more plus wages. They do this for 6 months, lodging and food is paid for. They get 2 months break and start again. Also last summer I went to Panama City beach in Florida and Gatlinburg, there were Jamaican workers who came up as seasonal workers or university students who worked for the summer periods, one told me he was able to pay off his university bills with his summer job.

This is a decent living. Now back to training, It seems Disney likes HEART graduates because of their training. Now imagine what a society we could be if kids are trained in school about tourism, languages, and other subject relating to tourism. Nobody is saying you have to make a lifetime in tourism but it could be a start and then I have some of my fellow graduates of HEART who are now entrenched in the Industry moving up, winning awards and doing great, others branch out after and changed careers including myself.

You see how we see the potential in Cuba from a far? but we don't see ours up close.

Comment

Working...
                              X