No charts in Jamaica

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• No charts in Jamaica

You see, despite the many Jamaican countdowns and rankings of music, with or without accompanying videos, separated into reggae, dancehall or combined, there are no charts in Jamaica. Not one. Zero. Nada. Blank.
    I mean, of course, there are none which can legitimately purport to be a legitimate reflection of what is popular with the music-loving population. There are street charts and there are cyber charts, radio-play charts and charts with no obvious basis. There are some charts made with the best of intentions and others put together with malice aforethought, but the result is the same. There is no quantifiable basis for the various rankings. And, truth be told, often no foundation of quality either.
    http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/2.../ent/ent1.html
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Very Interesting Scenario

This is actually a good, albeit short investigative story by Melville Cooke.

Many people feel that Jamaica is vastly overrated. When we look at a situation like this, in a country which boasts such an extremely vibrant music industry when compared with the rest of planet Earth (that is, compared on a per capita basis), then it makes it quite easy to understand such negative sentiments. Really, how can we truly explain the absence of an acceptable, accurate national music chart?

Answer: It’s just another symptom of the free-for-all and corruption that is characteristic of modern Jamaica!

By the way, the JBC charts I posted regularly on this forum in the past were compiled by Frankie Campbell. Trust me, Frankie KNOWS Jamaica’s music history!

Comment

yeah the charts currently are embarrassing with Payola playing a role, not only Jamaica but in NE US.

Yeah I remember the good days of the JBC charts. Use to listen it every weekend. We know Frankie credential is untouchable.
      • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

As young people growing up in the country, listening and dancing to the JBC Top 20 countdown was often the highlight of our Friday nights!

Not to mention when it was time for the Top 100 at the end of the year!
        "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

yeah man and it was Saturday morning conversation with your friend or Monday morning with your high school mates.

I understand in those days there was payola with some of the bubblers as the chart was hard to influence then.

Comment

until the radio stations get program directors...music directors & official playlists then no chart will be accurate...

Comment

they had salse figures to work with back then...nobody buys a cd any more so you can't judge it by sales...you can't judge it by radio spins because there are no gatekeepers at the radio stations...so there are no metrics to work with...

Comment

How do other countries do it? Are their methods flawed?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

depend on which country. Payola is the main driver here while the monitoring body turns an eye. It is the way to "eat a food". It is sickening the kind of money that is been paid to get rotation on radio station and blatant it is.

Comment

they have gatekeepers...program & music directors...they filter out what "doesn't belong" on the radio...i am sure they get it wrong sometimes...but it works for the most part...

Comment

Ok. I appreciate the non-inflammatory response!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Ok.

Payola can't be stopped, huh?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

yes it can be stopped but it will take a lot of work from the monitoring body, station themselves and law enforcement. I personally don't think the stations themselves are interested and turn a blind eyes as it may help them to keep some of their top radio personalities and who know who is involved?

It maybe looked upon as some form of bonus or additional perks. Mi a tell you them bareface bad, all some of the ones who you expect better from.

Comment

Working...
                          X