• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WRIGHT VIEW - Time to get a hold of indiscipline

WRIGHT VIEW
    by Dr. Paul Wright

Time to get a hold of indiscipline

I have noticed that whenever failure is being discussed, the word “indiscipline” seems to invariably pop-up. Jamaica is fast becoming known as the murder capital of the world and has searched for answers to the question why?
    Up comes this word again “indiscipline”.

In sports, whenever we try to explain how the best ever prepared football team in Jamaica could finish last in a five-team tournament to determine the best three, up comes that word again “indiscipline”.

The West Indies cricket team continues to disappoint. We had a captain who didn’t like training and who played very little regional cricket (although there were strict rules about selection to the team and play in the region) and yet whenever this team’s failure is being discussed “indiscipline” is the key word.

One would therefore imagine that all well-thinking people would embrace and support any attempt to introduce “discipline”.

At the national level, in an attempt to reduce crime and violence or in sports in an attempt to improve results, discipline should be introduced. But, that is not happening, in my opinion.

I have found that any attempt to introduce “discipline” to the mix, is met with serious objection from people whom I believe should know better.
    They do not come out and say “away with discipline”. No sir. They start every objection by saying “I support discipline, but” and then go on to explain what is wrong with the latest attempt to introduce “discipline”.
    Let me give a few examples: a coach in the Premier League faced with a string of poor performances decides to suspend some of the team’s “stars”. His team begins to win again. One would think that “discipline” has triumphed and all is well.

Not so for a popular “sports” journalist. He uses his access to the media (via his programme) to track down the suspended “stars” and gives them air time, to lambaste the coach, who “a-fight-we” and tries to portray the coach as one who is strangling the natural flair of these “stars”. When questioned he asserts that it is good journalism to let the public hear the “other side”.

With the West Indies coming off a string of poor results, the new manager introduces a curfew, as well as other measures to instill “discipline” and again we hear support coming from those whom I believe should know better (Journalists).

Of course, some players are going to object, especially those who have been allowed in the past to do as they like (with, I might add, poor personal performances), but I believe that persons with access to a microphone and the printed media, have a duty to refrain from comments that might undermine the attempts by team management and coaches, to improve results by the introduction of (here is that word again): “discipline”.

I now believe that the time has come for the Press Association of Jamaica to step in and with the help of everyone with access to a microphone and the print media, to set up some Code Of Conduct that must be adhered to or else face the consequence of loss of access to their particular form of media.

That sounds a lot like censorship. I do not think so. However, I truly believe that as a nation, it is time we the people recognise that our leaders are too laid-back in how they approach the ways in which attempts are made to stop the rut and change direction.
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."
Working...
X