RBSC

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hiker snapped pictures of bear before fatal attack!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hiker snapped pictures of bear before fatal attack!

Hiker snapped pictures of bear before fatal attack in West Milford

The hiker who was killed by a bear in September took pictures of the animal just before the attack. The pictures show the 300-pound black bear approaching the group of hikers in West Milford’s Apshawa Preserve on Sept. 21, according to authorities, who released the series of five photographs in response to an Open Public Records Act request filed by NJ Advance Media.

http://www.nj.com/passaic-county/ind...t_milford.html

------
    Bears are not fun chubby animals like we see in cartoons.
    They should be feared!
    Last edited by Hortical; November 28, 2014, 06:20 PM.
    Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Black bears can be serious if they confront you. They can also run up to 35mph (even faster than Usain Bolt) when chasing prey and can climb trees if necessary. A gun is a good thing to have if one can use it if they charge. Pepper spray is also an effective deterrent that could just save one's life if they are caught in a situation.

I read an article sometime ago where a black bear attacked two men who were hiking somewhere in Montana. Both men ran, but one was caught and mauled by the bear. The second man climbed a tree and got to a certain height before thinking he was safe, then he started shouting at the bear to leave his friend. Eventually the bear left the now dead friend and started climbing the tree to get the guy who was in the tree. The bear got so far up the tree where it grabbed the guy's foot and started pulling. The guy could no longer hold on and lost his grip, where he fell from the tree, although his fall to ground was broken by tree branches before he crashed to ground. While on the ground and it took the bear some time to get down from the tree and to get to him, he remembered that he had a canister pepper spray in his knapsack. Pulling himself together, went to retrieve his knapsack and found his pepper spray. By this time the bear had reached ground and turned and started charging at him. He confronted the animal with a mist of pepper stray, which caused the animal to stop abruptly in it's tracks, started coughing and turned and ran away into the woods.

The guy was able to breathe a sigh of relief as he was saved by his pepper spray and some quick thinking.

Some years ago I spent a week in Eureka Springs in north eastern Arkansas. It is very rural with a lot of lush green vegetation. I understood that the area had black bears, so of course I traveled with pepper spray which I kept on my person wherever I went while there.
    "Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

My, my, my... I learned 3 things when I was a kid and never forgot them. 1. Don't try and lick a fan blade while it's spinnin'. 2. When the landlord knocks, hide under the bed. and 3. NEVER FCUKING SET UP A TENT WHERE BEARS LIVE. - borrowed

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

DWL
        Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

When you go hiking you also have to watch out for coyotes. There seems to be a lot of coyote attacks in CT & MA recently. They primary go after family pets, however a rabid one will attack humans.
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
          X