CASE cancels 2014 graduation... half the cohort not qualifie

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CASE cancels 2014 graduation... half the cohort not qualifie

The College of Agriculture, Science and Education (CASE) today cancelled its 2014 graduation because most final year students did not meet the criteria.

The graduation was scheduled for today.

A statement from the Portland-based institution said the board made the decision following an audit which revealed that the college was presenting 340 candidates for graduation but only 175 were qualified to participate.

And of the 175 candidates, only 37 had registered to graduate.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=56748
    Life is a system of half-truths and lies, opportunistic, convenient evasion.”
    - Langston Hughes

A wonder if a the student's fault??? Case has been changing so many presidents, with squatters living on the land and so many fires at this place recently.

Don't know if I can but the blame on the students at all.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Calling Dr Suss!!!!!!!! Stat!!!!!!!!!

Originally posted by MdmeX View Post
      The College of Agriculture, Science and Education (CASE) today cancelled its 2014 graduation because most final year students did not meet the criteria.

The graduation was scheduled for today.

A statement from the Portland-based institution said the board made the decision following an audit which revealed that the college was presenting 340 candidates for graduation but only 175 were qualified to participate.

And of the 175 candidates, only 37 had registered to graduate.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/latest/article.php?id=56748
      Sounds like CASE accepted too many footballers & track stars..

Dr Suss what % of these tertiary students do you think would qualify for an academic scholarship to those US colleges vying for our ballas???????
      Last edited by Don1; November 21, 2014, 04:04 PM.
      TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Don1 View Post
        Sounds like CASE accepted too many footballers & track stars..

Dr Suss what % of these tertiary students do you think would qualify for an academic scholarship to those US colleges vying for our ballas???????
        Dr Suss ah vacation yuh deh pon?? Yuh emergency services are required...Stat!!

TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
          A wonder if a the student's fault??? Case has been changing so many presidents, with squatters living on the land and so many fires at this place recently.

Don't know if I can but the blame on the students at all.
          Your answer! If the Student Hasn't Learned, the Teacher Hasn't Taught!

- "If a student has not learned, a teacher has not taught":
          This is essentially true: if the student doesn't learn the material, the teacher must keep refining their skills to ensure that the learning takes place.

- Big man talk!!!

EDUCATION WEEK
          September 10, 2008

It's Not What We Teach; It's What They Learn
          By Alfie Kohn

I never understood all the fuss about that old riddle - “If a tree falls in a forest and no one is around to hear, does it still make a sound?” Isn't it just a question of how we choose to define the word sound? If we mean "vibrations of a certain frequency transmitted through the air," then the answer is yes. If we mean "vibrations that stimulate an organism's auditory system," then the answer is no.

More challenging, perhaps, is the following conundrum sometimes attributed to defiant educators: "I taught a good lesson even though the students didn't learn it." Again, everything turns on definition. If teaching is conceived as an interactive activity, a process of facilitating learning, then the sentence is incoherent. It makes no more sense than "I had a big dinner even though I didn't eat anything." But what if teaching is defined solely in terms of what the teacher says and does? In that case, the statement isn't oxymoronic - it's just moronic.

Wouldn't an unsuccessful lesson lead whoever taught it to ask, "So, what could I have done that might have been more successful?"

http://www.alfiekohn.org/teaching/edweek/inwwt.htm
          ----

The crux of the matter!

You Haven't Taught Until They Have Learned!!!
          Granted on this board the talk has been more on teaching/coaching of football whereon I have kept repeating "TEAM" as lesson. ...but if the football teacher (or the teacher of any other subject) does not have his/her charges understanding 'the concept' and being able to 'apply' same...then what the hell has he/she accomplished?

Answer! = 'Mar-ing' of students!
          nuff a dat a gwan a JA. ...both on academic & technical disciplines and the discipline of sports.

One of the results of such 'mar-ing' is, that College of Agriculture debacle. Another is the deep-seated embedded thought that 'the discipline of sports in schools is only recreation(al)'! Is there anything to wonder on why most of our students, inclusive of the 'educated ones', regurgitate 'the discipline of sports in schools is only recreation(al)'?! There is a saying teach=garbage in, result=garbage out!

FORWARD!!!!
          "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

Working...
          X