No announcement yet.

Anita is not Tessanne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't see how she would be. She is not particularly young, not particularly sexy, very married and has a conservative, good-girl personality.

The mainstream audience Tess would appeal to are more mature music lovers who love a beautiful voice. People who appreciate Celine Dion and such.
    "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

Originally posted by Islandman View Post
      I don't see how she would be. She is not particularly young, not particularly sexy, very married and has a conservative, good-girl personality.

The mainstream audience Tess would appeal to are more mature music lovers who love a beautiful voice. People who appreciate Celine Dion and such.

Cut the crap I-man.

Beyoncé - 33
      Britney Spears - 33
      Katy Perry - 30
      Gwen Stefani - 45
      Taylor Swift - 25
      Rihanna - 26
      Christina Aguilera - 34
      Jennifer Lopez - 45

Tessanne Chin - 29

Let's call a spade a spade. Anita does not have a wide cross-selling look and more importantly, Reggae is not a top-selling genre. On top of that, Tessanne is a better singer with that "special" voice.

Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

It is more than Race. When you have 10 pound gorillas in the music industry like Shaggy,Jimmy Cliff, and star like Bolt behind you, it makes a big difference regardless what colour you are. That is the point.

Where is the mental slavery in this???? Save it for some other time.
        • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

LOL! Jangle, Jah know, this is probably the most ridiculous post you have ever made! I thought you had an understanding of the entertainment business.

Jangle, it is not what age they are TODAY that is relevant, it is the age they were when they came to prominence and were marketed to young people as "eye candy" to use your term. After you buss big then everything else changes. Tess don't even buss likkle bit yet, on a world stage.

Beyonce - 17 or 18
          Rihanna - 17
          Christina - like 17 or younger?
          Brittany - 16
          Taylor Swift - 16 or 17
          Katy Perry - 22-23

J-Lo is the only one that wasn't in that realm in terms of age, but she was clearly marketed as a SEX-SYMBOL with bad-boy boyfriends and skimpy dresses. You see Tess doing that, with Cuff at her side? She doesnt have an a$$ like that either, just saying.

Not sure what you seeing in Tess that makes you think she is in that category. That is NOT her market at all.
          Last edited by Islandman; November 20, 2014, 11:10 AM.
          "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

The truth about Tess Chin
            Months before the voice aired, it was announced by news media that she was going to be on the voice. I don’t know if this was put out by her publicist or her team but someone had to put in the domain. Also her father-in-law(a black man) was on the air whipping up support and saying what a great person she was.
            Tess and her friends were active on social media asking Jamaicans to watch her, stating the date and time.
            On her first performance at least one of the judge commented that she is maybe the best contender to win this thing. She had all the judges begging to be on their team. She was without any doubt a very strong contender. The social media campaign intensifies. I personally didn’t have to ask “who is Tess Chin” as we had discussed what a good performer she was years before. My biggest surprise is how an established artist like her having recorded for a few years is on “The Voice” but I guess because she had no contract and was an independent artist. We knew of Shaggy campaign, Jimmy Cliff appearing and Adam actually saying a world of good about her and the public buying it. Sorry this is simply not about race. For Adam it was “what more to say about Tess Chin”.
            Flash forward to Anita. First time I heard of her was when someone told me “we have another Jamaican on the voice”. The fact is they are using terms like “another Jamaican” says how much she is known.The difference is, if I had known this I would watch her first performance as I did with the girl from the Virgin Island on X Factor “Melony” as I did with the Dreadlocks girl who married a Jamaican Rasta on American Idol. My first thought was Anita who? Because I know a few Jamaican artists and I have never heard of her. I listened to a few of her performances and think she is doing great but also think she would be better at recording. She is a young girl and is possible trying to build a fan base and been a performer, something Tess Chin achieved before coming to the voice, she already had the inside connection, not just because of colour, or where she was born as we can’t take away her voice and years she spend establishing herself. Anita deserves our support and she is a beautiful young lady, so that is not a part of the equation here either. As I said we are waggonists and if many people don’t put in the hard work and get ourselves in the public domain we don’t support. Just like the average Reggaeboy fan. The argument is like this “I support the reggaeboyz, who a dem coach now”. They may even ask you if Whitmore still playing for boyz.
            Stoni your argument about mental slavery don’t rest with me, as I know who I am and where I am going, and what I am doing and I will let no one stop me. I have and continue to do my share of mentoring young black youths as my grandmother and mother did, I act upon victimization when I see it but my first word to them is to grow and be focus on what you want because only that will take them out of mental slavery, nothing else.
            Again the biggest difference I see was the campaign by Chin crew
            Last edited by Assasin; November 20, 2014, 12:06 PM.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

Comprehende. LOOL

Comment

I am not saying that she wants to be marketed that way, instead, I am debating the viability of her being marketed like that in comparison to Anita from a record company's point of view. Tessanne's age is a non-factor; Miley Cyrus certainly don't have any arse; Lady Gaga ugly; Kelly Clarkson frumpy; Carrie Underwood "happily" married. It's all about the package. I would put my money on Tessanne over Anita any day.
                Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

I don't disagree that Tess has more to offer overall than Anita does.

Where we disagree is that Tess is a candidate for the teenage market.That was the issue I responded to. I just cant see that if she is not selling youth, extreme sexiness or a certain flirty/slutty image.Those people you mention were in one or more of those categories when they became popular, to me Tess is in none of them, and she doesn't need to be because of the assets she does have. Her voice alone is more than enough.

Teenagers don't care about voice, they care about catchy beats, sexy videos and name brand style clothes.
                  Last edited by Islandman; November 20, 2014, 02:35 PM.

Comment

Lourde and Adele are not selling sexiness but they have mega-hits which are bought by those same teenagers and young adults.

Comment

Forward Sass!!!!

Comment

Sigh. Adele's music is popular across all age groups. She is NOT marketed speficially to teenagers.

Your argument as I recall started out being that Tess could be marketed as eye candy to teenie boppers in the mold of a Rihanna, Beyonce, Christina or J-Lo (your examples) when they just got started.

Now you are using Adele as an example to to say that some young people will like her music even if she doesn't sell sexiness? That is quite a flip-flop and not a point I was debating.

Quite frankly Tess is MUCH more like an Adele than any of those you came up with before, a great voice that appeals across generations and who is not seen as a cookie-cutter (your term) artiste.

Any boss. Lets leave it alone.

Comment

Sigh. I guess we just have to agree to disagree. Is Adele or Lourde an eye-candy? Who buys their records?

Comment

Yow Assasin, I was agreeing with you, but just reverse tongue in cheek style, it is ridiculous to even bring race in the argument. That just shows you that some people have bought in so much to the race concept that everything is because of race. That is the real mental slavery, the legacy of a planter class who saw it fit to create this race concept were absolutely brilliant as still to this very day people ascribe all the ills that befall them on this concept.

Comment

Marcus never said anything bad about the whiteman in general and the focus was always on self and empowerment of self and by extension the family, the group, the nation, the people.

Garvey Speaks
                              "I do not speak carelessly or recklessly but with a definite object of helping the people, especially those of my race, to know, to understand, and to realize themselves."

Everything Donman start with the inner man, this is the beginning, the middle and the end.

All the people I admire and try to emulate were always trying to build up not tear down.

It is easy to destroy, and it is hard to build, it is easy to cuss and GWAN bad it is much harder to reflect and praise someone for something positive.

Comment

Working...
                              X