How sexual rhetoric cripples Caribbean manhood

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How sexual rhetoric cripples Caribbean manhood

A response to Dr. Carolyn Cooper's Gleaner Op-Ed 'KC Boys Desire Male Sex'.

In Jamaica men are subject to damning pressure to constantly present themselves as virile, woman-hungry alpha males.

http://www.antillean.org/sexual-rhet...bbean-manhood/
    Last edited by Karl; November 13, 2014, 11:09 AM. Reason: Correction
    "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

This is a really nice article,as a response to Cooper's article it is unfortunate and revealing.
    First of all,we tough guys are more responsible for the Alpha Male Syndrome than women are,the core of the duscussion is that Alpha Male at the helm of KCOB arbitrarily enforcing his male instinct.
    A KCOB meeting is the last place you will find me but I can go,she isn't allowed...
    Guy time at the dinner table?
    She most certainly was not talking about the MANY KCOB members that disagreed with the alpha male,she is being very specific,that is being overlooked because of our primal male instincts.
    Last edited by Rockman; November 13, 2014, 11:48 AM.

Comment

As an academic, she has to push boundaries.

Comment

Originally posted by Karl View Post

In Jamaica men are subject to damning pressure to constantly present themselves as virile, woman-hungry alpha males.
        Maybe I'm exceptional but I fail to see any "pressure" in this normal & natural situation
        Woooiiee mi gonads!!!
        Last edited by Don1; November 13, 2014, 12:11 PM.
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

How does Elle and his 30 children figure into this equation, John Holt & his 23 children, Maxi Priest (9 kids), or Ninja Man and his 28 children??
          Winning means you're willing to go longer, work harder, and give more than anyone else - Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by Hortical View Post
            How does Elle and his 30 children figure into this equation, John Holt & his 23 children, Maxi Priest (9 kids), or Ninja Man and his 28 children??
            The article shows confusion on the part of the writer...
            ...even on his stances as he at times takes the good professor literally and at times he does not!!! ...im nuh consistent in thought process and on belief!

In some respects the confusion could be said to portray his 'troubled' relationship with or.thinking on 'some things' Jamaican=the Jamaica society... dat suh-mall hi-land ting????
            "Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has."

Comment

I think what he did was to analyze the article literally and figuratively..
              Peter R

Comment

Originally posted by Peter R View Post
                I think what he did was to analyze the article literally and figuratively..
                Well he starts with the assertion that
                In Jamaica, men are subject to a damning pressure to constantly present themselves as virile, woman-hungry alpha males.
                He arrives at that conclusion solely on
                Popular songs by both male and female DJs never fail to challenge masculinity, often asserting that a man’s worth is judged by his sexual prowess. The rampant institutionalized homophobia in Jamaica.
                Madness! I would say. Jamaica is much more than popular songs by male and female DJ's and some sections of our society rampant institutionalized homophobia.

...going on to brand us all (Jamaica males) as being pressured as he asserts is the basis on which he interprets Professor Cooper's writings and expresses his thoughts on same. But granted he starts on what I think is 'wrong footing'...how then does he arrive at disagreement with Professor Cooper's style and her attempts to 'laff hauftah di KCOBA'?

It is either he takes her expressions/writing as speaking in literal manner/literally or not speaking in a literal manner, that is, figuratively=not to be taken literally! ...are you saying he thinks both equals "same thing"? If so, I am thinking he is 'barking up the wrong tree'.

That was either a terrible cussing of the KCOBA as bunch of homosexuals or a play on words and thoughts to express the opinion that the actions taken by the KCOBA was 'a chupid move'. I think, the gentle man cannot have it both way.

Comment

Working...
                X