Sobering... may he RIP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sobering... may he RIP

He had the same thing that I had... and am still recovering from..
    http://www.guardian.co.tt/news/2014-...ting-bacterium
    Peter R

DAMN!!!!

give thanks fi life!!

Infidelity does not consist in believing, or in disbelieving; it consists in professing to believe what he does not believe. Thomas Paine

Comment

PeterR, I believe I have an idea of the thoughts you are having now.

This is a story I don't think I have shared on the forum before. About three years ago I picked up an infection in a small cut i had on my stomach. I didn't take it very seriously at first, and then the first doctor I went to gave me a dosage of antibiotics that apparently was not strong enough. Within a few days I was in the emergency room with the surgeon cutting a hole out of my stomach. I was fully recovered in about 6 weeks but I have never been the same again and my mortality is always at the forefront of my mind.

I have tried to use that experience for the good and decided that the time to "give back" to the communities that shaped my life is NOW, today, every day if possible and not when I am 65 years old assuming I even get there. I believe I have made some progress in doing that and I frequently get weary and frustrated but at least I know now that I will not be going out saying "I never even tried".

I encourage all forumites to make a bucket list and work every day on accomplishing it! We never know how much time we will have to do it.
      Last edited by Islandman; November 6, 2014, 12:42 PM.
      "‎It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men" - Frederick Douglass

Comment

I hear you... glad to know you fully recovered.

I have to start rehab to be able to walk... and my "wound" (the grafted area which is sizeable) is still healing along with the donor area.

This experience makes you reassess yourself and priorities. I re-discovered the comfort of prayer. I decided to (again) re-adjust the amount of time I spend on work, with my wife/family, recreation and friends.

I have had to also adjust timelines on some bucket list items.

Giving back is also part of the appreciation for life...

Peter R

Comment

Working...
        X