• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Row over Toussaint filmn

Row over Chavez's proposal to fund film about Toussaint
    published: Monday | June 4, 2007

( L - R ) Preval and Glover
    NEW YORK (CMC):
    [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Venezuela[/COLOR][/COLOR] President Hugo Chávez's promise to fund a film about 18th century Haitian freedom fighter, Toussaint L'Ouverture, is drawing fire from critics in Venezuela and Haiti.
    Chávez has promised Black American actor Danny Glover US$18 million to make the film in Venezuela.
    But Haitian President René Préval rejected the move, stating that Toussaint should be filmed in the country where he was from, not in Venezuela.
    "The entire world should be proud of our patrimony," Préval is quoted here last week as saying in media reports.
    "We had the first successful revolt against slavery in this hemisphere. It's our contribution to humanity.
    "If [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Danny [COLOR=orange! important]Glover[/COLOR][/COLOR][/COLOR] can bring it to the screen, we will be happy," he continued. "But I hope he will shoot it here."
    Wyclef Jean, a renowned Haitian hip-hop artiste, said Glover should consider making the film in his impoverished, French-speaking Caribbean country.
    "We want it shot in Haiti," he said. "If a portion of the [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]movie[/COLOR][/COLOR] is not shot in Haiti, I would definitely feel disappointed.
    But Glover said the film simply cannot be filmed in [COLOR=orange! important][COLOR=orange! important]Haiti[/COLOR][/COLOR], disclosing that he has already spoken to a group of American stars such as Don Cheadle, Mos Def, Wesley Snipes, and Angela Bassett about being involved.
    "You can't film in Haiti," he said. "It doesn't have the infrastructure, unfortunately.
    "It's a US$30 million film, and you have to bring people in," he said, adding, "We haven't started casting yet; I'm sure there will be many Haitian actors in this."
    At the same time, Venezuelan film-makers have taken issue with Chávez, stating that his motive is misdirected.
    "Eighteen million could fund five years of local cinema in Venezuela," said director Jose Novoa. "And the film is not even about Venezuela."
    Janathan Jakubowicz, another director, said the money should instead be used to ameliorate the plight of the people here. "With so much poverty in our country, I can't deny that it infuriates and hurts me deeply."
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

If dem want it film in HAITI fork over $18 million dollar or shut yuh trap.

Comment

Originally posted by Assasin View Post
      "With so much poverty in our country, I can't deny that it infuriates and hurts me deeply."
      So yuh tink the movie industry isn't a business yuh clueless fassy? Yuh tink CHAVEZ just gave him the money? No. He bought a stake in the film and will recoup the $18 million and much more.

Comment

Do they have the infrastructure in hati to fim this. You need studios and all that sort of thing. I think maybe some of it can be filmed there but again do they have what is required. Why not Jamaica.... its seems Jampro or whomever should be lobbying.

Comment

Jamaica would certainly be the best option!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
            Why? How much money did we put up to finance the film? Do we have this: "Villa del Cine, a $13 million studio complex that includes soundstages and post-production facilities"? Yuh tink di man put up $18 million dollar fi us reap di benefits? Whe unnuh go school again?

Comment

Originally posted by Mosiah View Post
              Quite so.. there are many similarities between Jamaica and Haiti...

Comment

But we have had many other film done in Ja so I am "assuming there is some infrastructure" also heard at one point we were tying to develop that sector. Its weird though do you know what percentage of hollywood pic are done in Toronto or vancouver. Why cost, technical expertise and production. I think we can cultivate that in Ja.. I dont think you need to put money in but create an infrastructure. I dont see hollywood going to venezuela big time like they do now . I think it would be a worthwhile thing for jampro or whomever to look at.

Comment

Originally posted by OJ View Post
                  But we have had many other film done in Ja so I am "assuming there is some infrastructure" also heard at one point we were tying to develop that sector. Its weird though do you know what percentage of hollywood pic are done in Toronto or vancouver. Why cost, technical expertise and production. I think we can cultivate that in Ja.. I dont think you need to put money in but create an infrastructure. I dont see hollywood going to venezuela big time like they do now . I think it would be a worthwhile thing for jampro or whomever to look at.
                  It cost too much. They have to fly everything in. Where we gonna get $13 million to build soundstages, buy cameras etc. etc.? We can't even build a bridge, football pitch, road.

Comment

Working...
                  X