Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Islandman..."Up From Slavery"

Written by Booker T. Washington.

This was mandatory reading during freshman orientation when I attended Tuskegee.

For some reason, I decided to read this book a second time.

Outstanding the achievements of someone born in slavery!!!

A few recent posts--addressed the inequities and racism that still exists.

I think us Blacks have created (maybe the major portion) of these inequities ourselves. We expect others to treat us better than we treat ourselves............>>>

The book Up From Slavery must be mandatory reading for everyone on this forum.

It's time us Blacks begin to do more for self. Become self-sufficient. Own Hospitals, own Football teams, own Shipping Companies, own Supermarkets Chains and so on. Time for us to become more self reliant. Booker T.Washington would be disappointed with our "overall" progress.
    Last edited by HL; October 8, 2014, 06:21 PM.
    The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Along the theme of Garvey,in fact I would argue it is tearing a leaf out of Gargeyism.
    Where accreditation belongs and why is it denied?
    Loose cigarette,Walmart,gas station etc,what could those victims do differently in order not to be victimized?
    HL,if you grew up in TG,you probably would be a gunman.How do we know Caucasians would have fared better if the historical roles were reversed?

Comment

Rockman, getting back to the point I am making.

Quote: "I think the whole future of my race hinges on the question as to whether or not it can make itself of such indispensable value--that the people in the town and the state where WE reside will feel that our presence is necessary to the happiness and well-being of the community.

No man who continues to add something to the material, intellectual and moral well-being of the place in which he lives is long left without proper reward. This is a great human law which cannot be permanently nullified".

--page 137, second paragraph.

Up From Slavery
      .... by Booker T. Washington

HL

Comment

Originally posted by Rockman View Post
        Along the theme of Garvey,in fact I would argue it is tearing a leaf out of Gargeyism.
        Actually it's the other way around. Marcus learned at Booker T's feet...

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/amex/garvey/..._tuskegee.html
        TIVOLI: THE DESTRUCTION OF JAMAICA'S EVIL EMPIRE

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

D1 - Xposing Dummies since 2007

Comment

Booker T came to realise the schizophrenic disease of racism made that obsolete,so much so ,embraced much of Garveyism,of which he rejected in his earlier years.

Which is make yourself into something not to be accepted-indespensible by the whiteman but respected.
          THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Sorry that was WEB...pretty sure he would have came to the same conclusion.

That is the mental slavery question/the colonial question for africans across the world, respect me for who I am , how humble I am , how arrogant I am , how industrious I am , How lazy I am,How cultural I am .Judge me as a man.

Rasta philosophy.Its the reason rastas took hold ,root and planted themselves into Garveyism.Their ideal of respect was at odds with the colonial mentality, to the point when Jamaica recieved independence they were still looked at as psychotic fools that deserved subhuman treatment.You could argue up to this day.

Africans have nothing to prove to no one, but themselves that they are all of the above.Acceptance by whomever is optional,its not something we should crave.

Respect!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The good thing is, thats imbedded in every Jamaican mentally.

Thank God fi Rasta.

Comment

Thank you VERY much for this submission Don1.

HL

Comment

Please read the book that I recommended.

HL

Comment

Wi live di life......i reject the philosophy that the african has to be just as good or better to be accepted i.e indespensible to caucasians,the inference is revolting, Chevannes explored it as have others.

We should be respected for being men.That is a colonial legacy we grapple with,criminalization of our cultural vices,just came to an end last week.

Think.

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                      Thank you VERY much for this submission Don1.
                      You're welcome.... I thought it was pretty cool too

Recognizing the victims of Jamaica's horrendous criminality and exposing the Dummies like Dippy supporting criminals by their deeds.. or their silence.

Comment

Booker T. posted many letters he received and sent in his book. (I guess his relationship with Garvey was beyond the scope of the text).

Maybe 18 or so years after he established Tuskegee in 1881, he mentioned that students from overseas started to apply and were accepted. Jamaica was one of the countries listed as having students from those very early days.

HL

Comment

Originally posted by HL View Post
                          Booker T. posted many letters he received and sent in his book. (I guess his relationship with Garvey was beyond the scope of the text).

Maybe 18 or so years after he established Tuskegee in 1881, he mentioned that students from overseas started to apply and were accepted. Jamaica was one of the countries listed as having students from those very early days.
                          didn't know this... great info!

Comment

Exactly what does that prove or refute?

Comment

Time is looonger than rope,today terms like civil rights is anathema to the informed,it is human rights.
                              The head of the ALCU stated Garvey was too dark and his features were too disticnt ,that was the atmosphere ,one of rejection rather than approval.Who writes our history?

Comment

Working...
                              X