X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vote for the issues

published: Thursday | May 31, 2007

THE EDITOR, Sir:

JAMAICA HAS found itself in a predicament which was similar to us here in the Bahamas just a few weeks ago. On one hand, you have the leader who is popular and likeable because of her utterances as to the poor. And then you have the other, who has much political and financial knowledge, but not as popular.

The question is, are people in the Caribbean finding themselves in a whirlpool of indecision? Bahamaians were frustrated with the previous Prime Minister (PM) and made their decision, but we are keeping a close eye on the current PM to see if he will keep his promises or follow the footsteps of all those other leaders.

While we have concluded our election, it is Jamaica's turn, and I sincerely wish for Jamaica's sake and, ultimately, the whole region, that we as a people start voting for the issues and not political loyalty. Loyalty only gets rewarded for four weeks every five years on the eve of elections.

The electorate is changing worldwide and I think it's about time we do too. Vote for the issues, such as crime, shelter, health, corruption, education, etc., not because your family was born into yellow, black or white, because at the end of the day, you will be back in the same mess Caribbean people have always been in - fodder for politicians.

I am, etc.,

IVA ROLLE

iva_rolle@yahoo.com

151 Carmichael Road

Nassau, Bahamas

Via Go-Jamaica
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Been saying that from when! But there are some loyalists that call demselves comrades ... they're like the musicians on the Titanic. Karl and Jawge a play di violin and Balla a play the cello ..singing, "Its gonna be alright!"
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Working...
    X