X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Be wary of budget brainwaves that promise freeness

published: Tuesday | May 29, 2007

The Editor, Sir:

The Prime Minister's promise of free health care for citizens under the age of 18 years arouses my memory of a previous Prime Minister's declaration of 'free education for all'. They both happen to be budget brainwaves that occurred after the Minister of Finance had presented the estimates, which included no such expenditure.

It was in the 1973 Budget Debate that Mr. Michael Manley dramatically announced free schooling; and so impressed was the Opposition Spokesman for Education, Mr. Edwin Allen, that he immediately crossed the aisle to congratulate the Prime Minister. It was even said that the Minister of Finance was himself taken by surprise.

The plan promised:

1. Free education in all grant-aided secondary high schools.

2. Free university education for Jamaicans qualified to enter the University of the West Indies.

3. Free education for Jamaicans accepted to enter the College of Arts and Science and Technology (now Utech).

4. Free education for Jamaicans at Jamaica School of Agriculture (now CASE).

5. Free tuition and boarding for Jamaicans accepted by technical high schools.

6. Free tuition and boarding for Jamaicans accepted by vocational schools.

7. Extension of free education at junior secondary schools up to age 17.

8. Free issue of school uniforms for children in grade one (age six) and at grade two (age seven) of all primary schools in Jamaica.

9. Introduction of education instruction into the secondary high-school programme.

Mr. Manley said that was only the first stage. A trusting nation was delighted, and gleeful governing party supporters cut a tune that said: "Jook dem Joshua, jook dem with the free education." Well, since that day, the PNP has governed Jamaica for 25 years and 'free education' is yet to be. Instead, Mr. Manley's successors are now saying that free tuition in secondary schools, as proposed by the Opposition, cannot be achieved.

And now we have 'free health care for all below the age of 18'. I cannot help wondering if people are going to be 'jooked' once more. It may be that all of a sudden our grossly inadequate health system will be able to provide the accommodation, personnel, equipment and supplies required. However, history suggests that as far as this prescription is concerned, we should swallow each dose with a grain of salt, exercise an abundance of caution, watch out for side effects and seek a second opinion.

I am, etc.,

KEN JONES

alllerdyce@hotmail.com
    "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

But if the JLP does it though
    it will work. I finally get it the PNP party is like machine that instantly transform you, stay out of it and you will be able to turn water into wine.My head so thick that it's just now, I'm seeing this. ah well, better late than never.

Comment

"But if the JLP does it though it will work"

Listen up Comrade! During their presentations Bruce and Shaw were on the same page. Go back to last year, the Shadow Minister is also on the same page.

Now, flip the script! The Minister of Finance presented the estimates then out of the blue Portia come with an announcement that was no where in Omar's presentation. During here post budget press conference she was asked how her announcement was going to be financed, she responded ("Ask the PNP" hehe ... no thats a joke) that Omar would outline it when he close the Budget the following day. Well all now Omar nuh say anything about it.

Suh ... yuh see the difference?
      "Jamaica's future reflects its past, having attained only one per cent annual growth over 30 years whilst neighbours have grown at five per cent." (Article)

Comment

Originally posted by Jawge View Post
        But if the JLP does it though
        it will work. I finally get it the PNP party is like machine that instantly transform you, stay out of it and you will be able to turn water into wine.My head so thick that it's just now, I'm seeing this. ah well, better late than never.
        "It takes cash to care"

PNP first need to figure how to stop WASTING tax payers money through corruption, poor management, poor decisions and high interest debt payments...

Comment

I take it you are saying the JLP is
          devoid of the traits you described above. It's that simple? Once you enter the JLP camp; you cannot make poor decisions, you cannot be corrupt,you cannot be a poor manager and Audley will see to it that Ja has low interest and debt payments. I am learning a lot this morning. Not mention this overwhelming love for the poor of JA. Wow. BTW Ben can you tell me where I can find the seabed HQ in JA? Thanks.

Comment

At times the way you are so
            gullible makes me laugh. Seriously lazie. Does Audley and Bruce have a real budget to work with? Last time Audley had a real budget he declared bankruptcy (what does that tell you?)

Comment

devoid of the traits you described above. It's that simple? Once you enter the JLP camp; you cannot make poor decisions, you cannot be corrupt,you cannot be a poor manager and Audley will see to it that Ja has low interest and debt payments. I am learning a lot this morning. Not mention this overwhelming love for the poor of JA. Wow. BTW Ben can you tell me where I can find the seabed HQ in JA? Thanks.
              Is this guy for real? At times I wonder if the books that were banned back then did have a negative impact on you!

Comment

At times the way you are so
                gullible makes me laugh. Seriously lazie. Does Audley and Bruce have a real budget to work with? Last time Audley had a real budget he declared bankruptcy (what does that tell you?)
                Yet you call me gullible! There is nothing more humorous than hearing a madman calling a sane person mad.

Yuh aware that these ministers have people that work with them when it comes to formulating policies? Funny, yuh constantly bickering about Shaw's personal business, yet yuh still support Omar after he crashed the nation's financial sector.

Scaly, based on yuh definition, would you say that JAwge suffers from Insanity?

Comment

didn't say you were insane,
                  just gullible. There is a difference in those two words. I am assuming you took full advantage of Joshua's free education policies.

Comment

didn't say you were insane,
                    just gullible. There is a difference in those two words. I am assuming you took full advantage of Joshua's free education policies.
                    This response just proved alot! Yuh presence round here is appreciated Comrade, yuh always provide laughter. Pity its not an act.

Comment

so really think that other than
                      Joshua you could read and write? Yuh would be a skilled hand in the banana or cane fields. Or now it's basket weaving. Computers would be akin to a futuristic item on star trek. Truss mi.

Comment

The record is CLEAR on the matter.

Since 1972, 26 years under PNP rule. The ONLY period we registered significant economic growth was when they were OUT of power.. coincidence ? I think not.

If you choose to believe it was the bad decisions, management and corruption of the JLP that has us at the bottom of the region.. I suggest your LITERACY is useless and you need to tear up your JAMAL certiicate.

Comment

Joshua you could read and write? Yuh would be a skilled hand in the banana or cane fields. Or now it's basket weaving. Computers would be akin to a futuristic item on star trek. Truss mi.
                          Speak fi yuhself! My parents, aunts, grandparents could all read and that was before your Joshua came into power. Again, I thank my family pon a regular basis, you now .... gwaan idolize Joshua.

Comment

Okay just tell me where I
                            can find the sea bed HQ, then I will tear up my JAMAL certificate. Thanks.

Comment

Wait let me guess.. I should thank PJ for cell-phones..

How did the rest of the World manage without Joshua ? or did he clone himself ?

Your act is getting stale.

Comment

Working...
                              X