• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Development can’t happen so!

Development can’t happen so!

Grace VIRTUE

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 5 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

Jamaica’s development must be an effort geared at creating opportunities for the youth, especially those from rural areas trapped by circumstance.

ONE of my young cousins wants to attend the University of Technology, Jamaica (UTech) to study mechanical engineering but he has not applied. He passed CSEC Mathematics at third form and he is certain his other results will be good when he gets them shortly. However, it has been a mighty struggle for his mother to take care of him, his brother, and his special needs sister, and he sees going to school in Kingston as imposing further hardships on her. I left south Manchester last Saturday with a promise that, as soon I could get Internet access, I would check out UTech's fee structures and see what could possibly happen for him.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...n-so-_17303853
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

In the belly of the beast

Lloyd B SMITH

Tuesday, August 05, 2014 4 Comments

Print this page Email A Friend!

MUNROE... has been championing the fight against corruption in Jamaica

REPEATEDLY, surveys done in the United States of America — a country we like to ape — have revealed that politicians, used-car salespersons and journalists are regarded as the most corrupt individuals in the public space, and thus enjoy very little trust from the people.

I recall when I decided to run on a People’s National Party (PNP) ticket in 2011, an elderly man approached me in a supermarket with a most tearful voice bemoaning the fact that I was about to lose my “virginity” as a balanced, honest and highly respected journalist. For my sins, I have chosen two professions that John Public loves to hate — that of being a scribe and a political representative.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/colum...beast_17221807
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

Working...
    X