No announcement yet.

Sean Paul on Palladia

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Still a double edge sword HL. It work for some people.

If you notice I was saying a few years ago, there is too much American string and tone in dancehall then. The problem is the world don't want to buy water down, low quality hip hop from Jamaica, you have to add something more.

While Sean Paul, Third World and others get it right, others have flunk at it badly and you hear reggae lovers(not just Jamaicans, but from all over) laughing at it.

There are some basic things we have to do though, and that is make sure it is quality music and vocals must be right, clarity and the musician edge(uniqueness) must be a major part of any production, then you can add and subtract. Sometimes too this is where the American manager\producer gets it wrong with Jamaican signees. We do have our own baggage too.

The good thing about Sean Paul is he was always surrounded by a good team to help with those decisions and he is an asset to VP record and Atlantic Record.
    • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

HL here's a hit that I know you know and may have forgotten about.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GyE5JsrvLwM
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Artistes who have tried to collaborate (among many) are: Lady Saw (Underneath it all), Bounty Killer (Hey Baby) and Beenie Man with No Doubt. Peter Tosh did a song (Walk and don't look back) with Mick Jagger/Rolling Stones that was also popular.

Somehow, they never saw these collaborations, I'm guessing, as stepping stones to really make it big internationally. Management...
        Peter R

Comment

Thank you very much Jangle! This one was in the early 2000's. You will notice that the original video has over 8 million hits. If Youtube was around when this song came out , I bet there would be over 50 million hits. Such exposure.

I am sure Super cat is getting royalties from this one.

Anyone who refuses to venture out of their comfort zones--becomes stagnant. There is no growth.

If all a typical Jamaican artist can produce is songs about Rastafari and songs about self righteousness--then they are targeting a very limited market.
          The only time TRUTH will hurt you...is if you ignore it long enough

HL

Comment

"If all a typical Jamaican artist can produce is songs about Rastafari and songs about self righteousness--then they are targeting a very limited market."

isn't that Stereotyping? Jamaican music is much more diverse than this HL?

HL Jamaican artists have always done that. There is a lot more in the dancehall than you can think of. Junior Reid, Mavado, Tami Chin, Horace Andy, Tanya Stephens, Bounty Killer, to name a very few. So many more.

http://www.jamaicaobserver.com/enter...itain_17302099
            Last edited by Assasin; August 6, 2014, 02:50 PM.
            • Don't let negative things break you, instead let it be your strength, your reason for growth. Life is for living and I won't spend my life feeling cheated and downtrodden.

Comment

No it's NOT stereotyping Assasin...and you know it!

You are straying from the topic.

Didden country singer Willie Nelson do a complete reggae album?

"Change or die"

Anyway, this is my last contribution on this topik.

HL

Comment

Damion "Jr Gong" Marley has collaborated with a few artistes too. If you check his album Welcome to Jamrock, he worked with Nas, Bobby Brown, Black Thought and I think he has worked separately with Gwen Stefani. Jr. Gong is the only reggae artist to win two Grammys in the same year.
                He won Best Reggae Album and Best Urban/Alternative Performance for Welcome to Jamrock back in 2009.

"Only when you drink from the river of silence shall you indeed sing. And when you have reached the mountain top, then you shall begin to climb. And when the earth shall claim your limbs, then shall you truly dance." ~ Kahlil Gibran

Comment

HL you haven't been reading my posts. You are stereotyping. Our Reggae/Dancehall artistes are diversifying their music and ARE reaching newer markets. Sometimes a song/artiste just takes a while to work through the US market. That doesn't mean that they are not a hit elsewhere. The music industry in general has seen a major downturn in record sales with advance technology. Today, you don't have to pay for music because of the technology. Those same YouTube videos can be easily converted to MP3 format and downloaded on your IPod. You have internet radio straight to your smartphones. Who needs to buy music? The artistes today can make their money from touring and doing other things. Their music is reaching new fans. Chronixx videos have over 2 million hits. Do you think it's the entire Jamaican population that go watch hit videos? Here is the perfect comparison. 2 Chainz, who is one of the hottest American rapper right now, had a hit song, "I'm Different". It has over 35 million hits. While Damian Marley did a song with the Skrillex. That video had over 99 million hits but I can bet you that you've never heard that song on American radio. My daughter is now 21, and all of her American school friends know all of the latest dancehall tunes out of Jamaica. They flock the concerts when these artistes come to town.
                  Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

You are running, why you asking if Willie did a complete reggae album???

There is a variety of reggae artists who don't specialize in that kind of Reggae Beres Hammond, Marcia Griffiths, Ken Boothe, Richie Stephens, AJ Brown are just a few of those. A lot of ties you have to listen through the noise of loud mouth selectors or radio personalities. I will address this in another thread.

Feel free to join in

Comment

Sugar Ray was one of the baddest bands out there. Pity when the lead singer started delving in other areas. I think they are still active as a band but just not the same.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Is there really a decline? Reggae never in history sold as many as the good local (USA) acts in the first place!

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Originally posted by Jangle View Post
                          Mavado
                          Vybz Kartel when he was free and black
                          Gyptian
                          I-Wayne
                          Serani
                          Chaka Demus & Pliers
                          Elephant Man
                          Beenie Man

Just to name a few.
                          Chaka Demus & Pliers?

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Jangle: you are the ongle person whom I will break my 'last post on the subject promise'.

From a logical perspective, your sentence preceding I am stereotyping--nullify your claim.

You said it juss to pull me out.

If you check, (I think) I replied to all your submissions. And you and I fully agree that collaboration is a major part of the reggae artist success.

I have to thank you again for the Canadian reggae chune you introduced to me. The radio station that we listen to in our place of business plays this song (it seems after) every 10 rotations. Love it!!

HL

Comment

Have yet to see Sean Paul live. I have heard people complain about his live performance so its good to hear that HL was impressed (I think). Next weekend in Toronto there is a festival featuring Sean Paul, Beres, Tarrus Riley, Maxi Priest, Barrington Levy, Christopher Martin and others so I will tek him in and see how him measure up.
                              Concert report to follow.

Comment

I was really referring to my other musical posts in another thread with Historian. Are you familiar with the latest musical genre, Electronic Dance Music, EDM for short? It is just a repackaging of electronic/dance/house music. I made a post on it the other day. Funnily, after I made my post, I heard an advertisement on FAMEFM promoting EDM. I seem to be in tune with current music trends by accident. Anyhow, the point that I am making is that our artists are broadening their horizons by working with producers in different genres like EDM and are achieving some degree of success even though you might not see them in the US media or on US radio stations. And they are doing so without watering down the language and speaking clearer.

Comment

Working...
                                X