Fighting in Angola from a Distance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fighting in Angola from a Distance

Elio Delgado-Legon: I am a Cuban who has lived for 76 years, therefore I know full well how life was before the revolution, having experienced it directly and indirectly. As a result, it hurts me to read so many aspersions cast upon a government that fights tooth and nail to provide us a better life. If it hasn’t fully been able to do so, this is because of the many obstacles that have been put in its way.

Fighting in Angola from a Distance
    August 5, 2014 | Print Print | 0 11 0 16
    Elio Delgado Legon

Cubans and Angolans. Foto: pr.indymedia.org
    Cubans and Angolans. Foto: pr.indymedia.org
    HAVANA TIMES — Thousands of Cubans – both civilians and members of the military – voluntarily travelled to Angola to defend the freedom of its people, once seriously threatened by the racist South African regime. I was mobilized several times to receive training as a militiaman and asked if I was willing to go into combat in Angola. I said I was, but they never called me (from what I’ve been told, because I was a professor at the University of Havana).

When my son Elio was enlisted in the military, he asked to be sent to Angola.

It was the beginning of 1983 and the war was at its height. My son had been in training for more than two months when his first daughter was born. He asked the military for permission to say farewell to his family and went to the hospital to see the newborn. A few days later, he left for Angola, to join a contingent where he was to serve two years of military service.

http://www.havanatimes.org/?p=105323
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Thanks X I remember this time very well. War is extremely serious business and entry to any foray must be well contemplated especially in light of a straightforward cost benefit analysis, Cuba had a upside down in the red cost benefit analysis and they still went, that was truly a straight political/ principled stance. Remember the MPLA song back in the day.

Comment

Working...
    X