X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Historian, here's some Ichiban for you

enjoy

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v...646316&fref=nf
    Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Got Your Point, Boss

Point taken, boss.

The Japanese have for decades now tended to grab on to Jamaican culture, including our accent and colloquialisms. There is an edge to Jamaican culture that has, especially since the 1980s, captured the interest of Japanese young people.

The Japan market is not only by far the biggest importer of Blue Mountain coffee (they import about 86 percent of what we produce), but also our culture. For example, a couple of decades ago they were so influenced by our Reggae Sunsplash that they created their own version called Japansplash.

I recall as a teen in the latter half of the 1970s being introduced to “Instant Rasta” (I think that was the name of the album), recorded at Tuff Gong studios by a Japanese artist. The lead guitarist on the record, Gibby, played the album for me. I recall both of us being amused by the solid reggae rhythm underneath the strange lyrics (language).

Even back in the 1980s Japan was one of the most lucrative touring areas for Jamaican reggae acts. As I type this I’m remembering having a conversation with Lt. Stitchie, Sly Dunbar and Robbie Shakespeare at JFK in the late 1980s as they were about to head for Jamaica after a series of concerts in Japan. Yellowman, etc. were also major acts in Japan back in their heyday.

Yes, many Japanese have always loved Jamaica’s culture very much, and it is obvious that this love has not changed!

Comment

I too remember when back in the 80's all the reggae artistes spoke about being "big' in Japan. It's still strange to see just how much they have embraced our dancehall culture to the point where they grab our dance styles and improve upon them. Japan should be one of our major trading partners beyond importing their cars.
      Hey .. look at the bright side .... at least you're not a Liverpool fan! - Lazie 2/24/10 Paul Marin -19 is one thing, 20 is a whole other matter. It gets even worse if they win the UCL. *groan*. 05/18/2011.MU fans naah cough, but all a unuh a vomit?-Lazie 1/11/2015

Comment

Working...
      X