• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tobacco Is Healthier Than Marijuana, Says Obama's DrugDoctor

Tobacco Is Healthier Than Marijuana, Says Obama's Drug Doctor
    Posted By Chris Roberts on Tue, Jul 1, 2014 at 7:18 AM
    Explaining why cigarettes are cool(er) - NIH
    NIH Explaining why cigarettes are cool(er)
    Obama's people stay on message. Even as the erstwhile Choomer in Chief seems to hint more and more strongly that drug legalization is inevitable and that it wouldn't be such a bad thing after all, the people President Barack Obama appointed to set the nation's policy on law enforcement and health are saying otherwise.

Volkow goes off.

"Wait a second. . . . Nicotine does not interfere with cognitive ability. So if you are an adolescent and you are smoking marijuana and going to school, it's going to interfere with your capacity to learn. So what is worse, as an adolescent right now? To have basically something that is jeopardizing your development educationally or to smoke a cigarette that, when you are 60 years of age, is going to lead to impaired pulmonary function and perhaps cancer? . . . I would argue that you do not want to mess with your cognitive capacity, that that is a very large price to pay."

http://www.sfweekly.com/thesnitch/20...as-drug-doctor
    THERE IS ONLY ONE ONANDI LOWE!

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

LOL. The fact that his boss is a tobacco smoker probably has nothing to do with it. That said the headline is misleading. He is referring to adolescents.

Comment

adolescents should not smoke...what is his point?

Comment

adolescents should not smoke anything...what is his point?

Comment

You're right. But I think he is trying to say that if they are going to smoke cigarettes are less harmful than herb to their not totally developed brains. Even that's a stretch.

Comment

It has been recognised for many years that patients with psychiatric illnesses, especially schizophrenia, smoke to excess. However, recently there has been a resurgence of interest in the high prevalence of nicotine addiction in patients with schizophrenia. It has become increasingly clear that heavy cigarette smoking is intimately associated with the schizophrenic illness and that this may have implications for the underlying neurobiology of schizophrenia.

http://apt.rcpsych.org/content/6/5/327.full

What i find interesting is that cancer is always linked with cigarettes and psychiatric problems linked with ganja ,when clinicians know that cig smokers have a higher % linked to mental illness and ganja the science is always in the should , could , may ,likely as it pertains to both.Incidentally the claim of ganja related mental illness is in the lower %

But babylon persists with disinformation.

"Good things come out of the garrisons" after his daughter won the 100m Gold For Jamaica.

"It therefore is useless and pointless, unless it is for share malice and victimisation to arrest and charge a 92-year-old man for such a simple offence. There is nothing morally wrong with this man smoking a spliff; the only thing wrong is that it is still on the law books," said Chevannes.

Comment

The disinformation is your agenda that wants to paint the smoking of any substance as good.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

Presenting information so individuals can make informed decisions about health hazards is disinformation, never hid from any of the negatives of smoking be it cigs or ganja, what is your agenda dismiss it as bad(ganja) ! worthy of not to be championed as a human rights issue to debase human beings as not worthy (ganja).

If calling for legalization of a substance to be heavily taxed and regulated , that doesnt have the health hazard of other legal vices or infringe on human rights is disinformation.

I am happy , are you for ignoring it.

Yuh must shame.

Comment

I don't have a problem with its legalisation. I have been saying that long before your little campaign. But what I am not going to do is try and make it look like a panacea.

BLACK LIVES MATTER

Comment

it sure could go a long way in reducing rural poverty

Comment

I will make it look like a Panacea, considering the social devastation this ganja law has had , even you will admit it has been devastating , the racist Jim Crow ganja law (war on drugs) did not stop in the cities of America , it cast it net south in central and latin america, whats troubling to me is the silence and kissing ass by Jamaicans of this policy.Central and latin Americans have voicerously called it what it is , imperialism under the guise of a war on drugs, civil rights groups in america has labelled it from racist ,profilling, disparity to Jim Crow penal laws,Jamaicans on the other hand until recently( thank God Fi di international corporate ganja lobby) have supported the master tooth and nail in enforcing the evil devastating law.Its the most oppressive law post slavery and it has had devastatng effect in every social fiber of Jamaican society, how we stygmatize, criminalize, garrisonise and brutalize and deprive each other.Chevannes report spoke out on it.The silence by so called human rights org for decades in Jamaica is a slap in the face of human dignity when others in the same hemisphere as I mentioned saw and spoke on this egreious act.I am sorry because I know you are a good man at heart and you want to do good but history will not be kind to Jamaica as a human rights entity when it reviews our role in the campaign to legalize ganja.

We were damm near silent, thank God fi di Rasta man, and who else to speak up but the abused.Jamaica should have been at the fore!

I applaud you for speaking up, you probably have more than I , truth is you are right, I am sitting hear in the states and my outlet is a PC, the litte that I do to me is insignificant, I wish my voice could be louder or closer to home.

The Injustice of Marijuana Arrests

America’s four-decade war on drugs is responsible for many casualties, but the criminalization of marijuana has been perhaps the most destructive part of that war. The toll can be measured in dollars — billions of which are thrown away each year in the aggressive enforcement of pointless laws. It can be measured in years — whether wasted behind bars or stolen from a child who grows up fatherless. And it can be measured in lives — those damaged if not destroyed by the shockingly harsh consequences that can follow even the most minor offenses.

The Injustice of Marijuana Arrests
                      In October 2010, Bernard Noble, a 45-year-old trucker and father of seven with two previous nonviolent offenses, was stopped on a New Orleans street with a small amount of marijuana in his pocket. His sentence: more than 13 years.

A Costly, Futile Strategy
                      The absurdity starts on the street, with a cop and a pair of handcuffs. As the war on drugs escalated through the 1980s and 1990s, so did the focus on common, low-level offenses — what became known as “broken windows” policing. In New York City, where the strategy was introduced and remains popular today, the police made fewer than 800 marijuana arrests in 1991. In 2010, they made more than 59,000.

In a March interview, Michelle Alexander, a law professor whose book, “The New Jim Crow,” articulated the drug war’s deeper costs to black men in particular, noted the cruel paradox at play in Colorado and Washington. She pointed to “40 years of impoverished black kids getting prison time for selling weed, and their families and futures destroyed,” and said, “Now, white men are planning to get rich doing precisely the same thing?”

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/07/29/op...ests.html?_r=0
                      Last edited by Sir X; July 29, 2014, 09:35 AM.

Comment

I will add , The Ganja Gene theory in America .

If as stated by the ACLU, whites use ganja in the same % as blacks , why do whites have higher SAT scores in general , graduate in higher % from high school and college,progress more financially in life , they both smoke the same bud ?.....Gomes believes it will turn Jamaicans into Zombies, is it because black Jamaicans are predisposed like Afro Americans to turn out that way, couldnt be the racist law or shitstem ?

Unless its all a lie.

Comment

Working...
                        X